William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 am

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:What a disaster this will be if he doesn’t come back.

Signed someone for 27 million then sent him on loan for 3 years where he excelled only to never see him play!

It won't be a disaster at all if we make a profit on him.
If we make a big profit - its the opposite of a disaster.

Are we a football club or a financial institution?! What's more important, having a player available that could've helped get us top 4 or missing out on a CL place but having 1 billion pounds in the bank?!

Both the playing staff and the finances are important in modern day football.

We have no idea whether he could have helped us get top 4. That is just subjective... we don't even know if he's going to be better than Holding in the PL.

What we DO know is that his profile has been raised to the point we are very likely to make a profit on him if we sell him and if not, then we have a potentially good addition to our squad. Right now that is all that matters.

If that’s the case why were you happy with us getting a mere 9 million for Guendouzi, watching us pay to move Auba on, lose players for nothing time and time again recently and watching us lose 2 strikers for free this summer instead of selling last summer?

We are going to make a profit on Guendouzi - given his attitude problems I'm ok with that.
We saved about £15m-20m on Auba's wages by getting rid of him, which I am happy about.

Are we, we paid about 8 million didn’t we

Yes and I believe we are getting £9m-£10m for him
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 86047.html
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 22, 2022 9:41 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Signed someone for 27 million then sent him on loan for 3 years where he excelled only to never see him play!

Are we a football club or a financial institution?! What's more important, having a player available that could've helped get us top 4 or missing out on a CL place but having 1 billion pounds in the bank?!

We have no idea whether he could have helped us get top 4. That is just subjective... we don't even know if he's going to be better than Holding in the PL.

What we DO know is that his profile has been raised to the point we are very likely to make a profit on him if we sell him and if not, then we have a potentially good addition to our squad. Right now that is all that matters.

If that’s the case why were you happy with us getting a mere 9 million for Guendouzi, watching us pay to move Auba on, lose players for nothing time and time again recently and watching us lose 2 strikers for free this summer instead of selling last summer?

We are going to make a profit on Guendouzi - given his attitude problems I'm ok with that.
We saved about £15m-20m on Auba's wages by getting rid of him, which I am happy about.

So we’re probably breaking even give or take, he’s probably worth 3-4 times that now.

Aubameyang as well has a decent value, again we missed out and are still paying a chunk of his wages and who knows we may have got top 4 with him which would have been worth much more.

If we do sell players because they’re not needed getting maximum value for the is important and we didn’t in these scenarios.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun May 22, 2022 10:37 am

Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Football isn’t all about money, if you don’t want a player because he’s not good enough obviously you want to maximise value, but if a player is very good and has lots of talent then money doesn’t come into it unless it’s a sky high offer you can’t refuse.

True. Also, to get maximum value, we need to play this out correctly. If we're going to sell, the time is now. If we see another ego trip from the manager and he demands Saliba come back to sit on the bench, then gives him limited game time because of an 'attitude problem', we're going to lose out.

I agree, I just don’t think selling is the correct decision, he’s only going to get better.

We can’t have this issue over and over again with players where a manager who isn’t really doing that great keeps falling out with players and we have to ship them off.

I can accept occasionally a manager doesn’t get on a with a player and that he sells him, but this only works if your methods are working and you’ve proved your important to the club, but it not as often as this has happened now.

Yeah, I think we will regret selling him. It's not as if we're going to sell him for a massive fee either. We've probably spent £2m-£4m on his wages already. Add the transfer fee we paid on top of that.... Selling him for anything less than £50m would be silly and I doubt we'd even get that.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 22, 2022 10:39 am

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

So we’re probably breaking even give or take, he’s probably worth 3-4 times that now.

Aubameyang as well has a decent value, again we missed out and are still paying a chunk of his wages and who knows we may have got top 4 with him which would have been worth much more.

If we do sell players because they’re not needed getting maximum value for the is important and we didn’t in these scenarios.

I am happy with washing our hands of Guendouzi for a modest profit.
As for Auba - we never once achieved top 4 with him under 3 different managers. Given his form had dipped horrendously since signing his new contract, it is fanciful to think he'd have made a difference this year. Just not realistic.
The big issue with Auba was letting his contract run down to 1 year and then giving him that contract - that was the mistake and it was a costly one.
We are however saving £15-20m in wages next year by getting rid of him. Mistake partially rectified, but it is one I hope we have learned from.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 22, 2022 10:57 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Football isn’t all about money, if you don’t want a player because he’s not good enough obviously you want to maximise value, but if a player is very good and has lots of talent then money doesn’t come into it unless it’s a sky high offer you can’t refuse.

True. Also, to get maximum value, we need to play this out correctly. If we're going to sell, the time is now. If we see another ego trip from the manager and he demands Saliba come back to sit on the bench, then gives him limited game time because of an 'attitude problem', we're going to lose out.

I agree, I just don’t think selling is the correct decision, he’s only going to get better.

We can’t have this issue over and over again with players where a manager who isn’t really doing that great keeps falling out with players and we have to ship them off.

I can accept occasionally a manager doesn’t get on a with a player and that he sells him, but this only works if your methods are working and you’ve proved your important to the club, but it not as often as this has happened now.

Yeah, I think we will regret selling him. It's not as if we're going to sell him for a massive fee either. We've probably spent £2m-£4m on his wages already. Add the transfer fee we paid on top of that.... Selling him for anything less than £50m would be silly and I doubt we'd even get that.

Exactly the logical decision is to convince him to stay and make it known he’s a big part of our plans.

Not sure that will happen though.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 22, 2022 12:16 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun May 22, 2022 1:44 pm

We can’t possibly sell him if we are also going to sell Gabriel.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun May 22, 2022 2:08 pm

swipe right wrote:We can’t possibly sell him if we are also going to sell Gabriel.

We'll buy another CB, guaranteed. Arteta can't get enough
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Sun May 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue May 24, 2022 1:25 pm

Reiss wrote:Arteta: 'Saliba has to come back. He has the experience to be competitive with us'.

Puts to bed the argument that he doesn't like him and he'll get rid. Look forward to seeing him in action.

If stuff Arteta said was all it took to put things to bed, we'd be lining up a CL challenge this season with Willian.

I'll believe it when I see his name in the final 25 man squad.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Tue May 24, 2022 4:14 pm

Reiss wrote:Ah right so literal quotes from him aren't enough now.

Lol

Saliba’s quote is “we’ll see”. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:34 pm

Arteta tells RMC: “William Saliba has to come back. He has the experience to be competitive with us. We sent him to Marseille for his growth”. #AFC

“William wanted to be regular starter as you know but now we want him back at Arsenal. He has to come back, bend the knee and work hard like everyone else."
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Tue May 24, 2022 6:52 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Arteta tells RMC: “William Saliba has to come back. He has the experience to be competitive with us. We sent him to Marseille for his growth”. #AFC

“William wanted to be regular starter as you know but now we want him back at Arsenal. He has to come back, bend the knee and work hard like everyone else."

Arteta needs to tone it down. Comes across like a real prick.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Hypergooner » Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 pm

swipe right wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:

I say go on Arteta. Wind this prick in! He has a contract with us. He might have had a good season but he's 21 and proven nothing.
For the sake of £10m we should try to get him settled with us and show why we bought him.
If he throws his toys out the pram, let him rot in the reserves for a season. It could be the best thing for his career long term! Some of these kids need to realise the world doesn't owe them!
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue May 24, 2022 9:08 pm

Hypergooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:

I say go on Arteta. Wind this prick in! He has a contract with us. He might have had a good season but he's 21 and proven nothing.
For the sake of £10m we should try to get him settled with us and show why we bought him.
If he throws his toys out the pram, let him rot in the reserves for a season. It could be the best thing for his career long term! Some of these kids need to realise the world doesn't owe them!

Both of you got trolled, alexafc just added in the bit about bending the knee.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk