William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba

Postby BexleyGooner » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:39 pm

Would be a massive mistake to let him go now for anything under £80m.

How are we ever going to improve if we continue selling our best players? And what message does it send to other players hesitating on contracts about our ambitions.

If he’s not sold by the close of the window, he’ll renew. The money will be too good to turn down.

I bet we can pay him at least double what Marseille can.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:54 pm

BexleyGooner wrote:Would be a massive mistake to let him go now for anything under £80m.

How are we ever going to improve if we continue selling our best players? And what message does it send to other players hesitating on contracts about our ambitions.

If he’s not sold by the close of the window, he’ll renew. The money will be too good to turn down.

I bet we can pay him at least double what Marseille can.

This would have us in the same place as before. A squad with too many high earners that aren't making CL spots. We already have Partey and Gabriel Jesus on 200k, Eddie , Xhaka, Ben White and Zinchenko on £100k minimum. A Saliba extension would be costly and risky esp if he's only signing for the money.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:15 pm

Marseille are 'surprisingly optimistic' to get their hands on Arsenal player William Saliba, according to L'Equipe.

Marseille president Pablo Longoria met with the player's agent and he thinks that the 21-year-old will return to the Ligue 1 outfit.

Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 am

TedLasso wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Yes I agree that is the best route now, I guess my worry is that it might not happen as Arteta has shown a real reluctance to use him up till now and we’ve seen other players kept only not to feature much.

Devaluing an asset doesn’t seem to matter to him.

Saliba wasnt ready before, now he is. I actually think he’ll be a regular starter this season and displace White. Maybe Im wrong but the kid is class.

You don't know that, he was mis-handled. Had he not lost half a season not being registered he probably would be where he is now one whole season earlier. His progression is natural. Also, there is nothing to say he wouldn't have progressed playing for Arsenal.

Think about this, when he eventually went to Nice in the 2020/21 season, he quickly became one of their best players, he didnt need many games to establish himself as a good player. So, consider the obvious rustiness he would have had by not playing competitively for such a long time, he got to his level very quickly. He could have done the same playing for Arsenal, but we won't know now.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Tubbs » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:57 am

Marseille trying to sniff around him at minute but all speculation on news at min
We better not let him go he’s been looking good for us in pre season so really can’t see him going we would be nuts to let him go again
Tubbs
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:17 am

We have done stranger things. I would not be shocked to see Saliba in a Marsielle shir at the start of the season and Xhaka in our starting line up.

PROGRESS lol
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby TedLasso » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:42 pm

theHotHead wrote:
TedLasso wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Yes I agree that is the best route now, I guess my worry is that it might not happen as Arteta has shown a real reluctance to use him up till now and we’ve seen other players kept only not to feature much.

Saliba wasnt ready before, now he is. I actually think he’ll be a regular starter this season and displace White. Maybe Im wrong but the kid is class.

You don't know that, he was mis-handled. Had he not lost half a season not being registered he probably would be where he is now one whole season earlier. His progression is natural. Also, there is nothing to say he wouldn't have progressed playing for Arsenal.

Think about this, when he eventually went to Nice in the 2020/21 season, he quickly became one of their best players, he didnt need many games to establish himself as a good player. So, consider the obvious rustiness he would have had by not playing competitively for such a long time, he got to his level very quickly. He could have done the same playing for Arsenal, but we won't know now.

From what I saw of his play at Nice, he was not ready to play a significant role at Arsenal. It was his maturation and development last year that really accelerated his growth. You have to remember that progression isn't linear, it comes in waves.

You are right that it's quite possible he could have matured and developed at Arsenal in the same way. I have my doubts due to the fact that he played over 4,600 minutes for Marseille in Ligue 1 and Europa while our starter Ben White played just 2,800.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:20 pm

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

GW on the "mishandling" of Saliba.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:40 pm

Losmeister wrote::rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

That's what it was. The club wanted him to go to some bottom half EPL team to get battered every week, probably so he would 'appreciate' the chance to play for Arsenal. Instead he went to France, immediately established himself as a starter and finished in CL places.

He knows his worth, meanwhile our underrating of him may lead to no renewal and eventually another free transfer for Edu's collection.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:42 pm

TedLasso wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
TedLasso wrote:

From what I saw of his play at Nice, he was not ready to play a significant role at Arsenal. It was his maturation and development last year that really accelerated his growth. You have to remember that progression isn't linear, it comes in waves.

You are right that it's quite possible he could have matured and developed at Arsenal in the same way. I have my doubts due to the fact that he played over 4,600 minutes for Marseille in Ligue 1 and Europa while our starter Ben White played just 2,800.

Fair point
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:45 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Losmeister wrote::rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

That's what it was. The club wanted him to go to some bottom half EPL team to get battered every week, probably so he would 'appreciate' the chance to play for Arsenal. Instead he went to France, immediately established himself as a starter and finished in CL places.

He knows his worth, meanwhile our underrating of him may lead to no renewal and eventually another free transfer for Edu's collection.

Los is probably commenting on the fact we are forum members none of which have worked in any professional capacity at a football club so probably don't know what we are talking about. And he would be right.

So in that case, can we shut down this entire forum because none of us have a clue what we are talking about. There are no topics worth talking about because none of us are experts in football related matters. Close EVERY football-related forum down.

Oh wait ..... Thats not the purpose of the forum, for us to be experts and know everything .......
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Reiss » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:03 pm

Arteta picking Saliba who is absolutely shining in defence. We were told the manager didn't fancy him... lol
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:21 pm

Reiss wrote:Arteta picking Saliba who is absolutely shining in defence. We were told the manager didn't fancy him... lol

Missed the last 3 years?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:48 am

Fofana being valued at £75m

Saliba considered the better of the two. How much is he worth - £85m ?

If Arteta bottles his extension he has to walk simple. Can't get away with another financial disaster.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:55 pm

Interesting thing about Fofana is he was seen as the lesser talent of the two when they played together and yet he came to the PL and fitted in seamlessly and performed very well.

That suggests Saliba would have been absolutely fine in the PL if he’d had a manager who gave him a chance and believed in him.

By now he’d be a relatively experienced PL player.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk