William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - OGC Nice)

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:53 am

I think it’s fair to say that sending him out on loan was a shocker, we knew he was very talented and he’s excelled despite being stuck out in the cold for 6 months by Arteta.

You don’t need to look hard to see all the poor man management, there’s numerous example with this one being one of the more high profile ones.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:58 am

I don't see the logic in spending £27m on a teenager and loaning him out. If he was good enough to cost £27m in the first place he must be good enough.

Arteta must be sacked sooner or later for incompetence, surely.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:38 am

theHotHead wrote:I don't see the logic in spending £27m on a teenager and loaning him out. If he was good enough to cost £27m in the first place he must be good enough.

I just don't think Arteta ever really understood the type of pressure that a manager at a big club faces. Why would he? He'd never even been a manager.
The kind of decisions he made suggested he thought handling the consequences of those decisions being wrong was going to be easy.
You could tell by the end of the season that he was feeling the pressure - i.e. the outburst about his press conference.

If he didn't know he has to tread carefully instead of rushing in like a bull in a china shop (Saliba, Ozil, Guedouzi, etc..) , he does now.
He still needs to make the big decisions, of course, but they have to be well considered and right most of the time - there is no place to hide at that level of management.

There was never any need to loan Saliba, get rid of Ozil or Guendouzi - the former could have gained valuable PL experience here and the latter two could have been phased out with less drama whilst helping us when required. He created the circumstances that had the potential to bite him in the ass, unnecessarily. Needs to learn to get what he wants as a manager WITHOUT the drama.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am

theHotHead wrote:I don't see the logic in spending £27m on a teenager and loaning him out. If he was good enough to cost £27m in the first place he must be good enough.

There wasn’t any logic.

Arteta made this lame excuse he wasn’t good enough or ready before even giving him a chance.

It’s blown up in his face though as Saliba has impressed massively in France again, luckily the guy still wants to come back to us, if I’d have been him I would have looked to move to a club where the manager appreciates me and gives players a proper chance.

There’s been lots of thats though, Arteta is a bad man
manager, you can’t tell me you’d find many people that would have sent Saliba out on loan, that’s nothing to do with pressure, it’s just awful decision making.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:52 pm

The Saliba situation is inextricably tied to our awful squad planning strategy.

Mustafi was on transfer list last summer, with no takers. Arteta not only registers him for the squad, he offers him an extension!

Meanwhile, we block Saliba from playing in a July 2020 cup final for Saint Etienne, and he comes back to Arsenal only to find himself dropped for Mustafi and new CB Gabriel M!

So he spends months with the U23s alongside another rejected CB, Sokratis. I can imagine that Sok told him to simply focus on match fitness and GTFO when the chance comes.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:17 pm

im surprised he still wants to be here

if it was me id tell assteta to do one.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 am

This guy's confidence must be in a ditch.

Rumours that Arteta will give him a chance to fight to be our 4th choice CB in pre-season, but we remain hopeful that we can offload him ....

... after we spent circa. £30m on him and he gets team of the year in France after half a season.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerred » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:52 am

alexafc12 wrote:This guy's confidence must be in a ditch.

Rumours that Arteta will give him a chance to fight to be our 4th choice CB in pre-season, but we remain hopeful that we can offload him ....

... after we spent circa. £30m on him and he gets team of the year in France after half a season.

He needs to tell Arsenal he wants a transfer, he's in a good position to get a new contract at a decent club.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 am

Goonerred wrote:

He needs to tell Arsenal he wants a transfer, he's in a good position to get a new contract at a decent club.

Like how you said decent
Imo this place has lost its moral compass
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am

We need to offload Arteta…..desperately before he takes a his club even further down the pan!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Hybrid47 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:10 am

Don't understand why he's not being given a chance =/
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby swipe right » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

I just don't think Arteta ever really understood the type of pressure that a manager at a big club faces. Why would he? He'd never even been a manager.
The kind of decisions he made suggested he thought handling the consequences of those decisions being wrong was going to be easy.
You could tell by the end of the season that he was feeling the pressure - i.e. the outburst about his press conference.

If he didn't know he has to tread carefully instead of rushing in like a bull in a china shop (Saliba, Ozil, Guedouzi, etc..) , he does now.
He still needs to make the big decisions, of course, but they have to be well considered and right most of the time - there is no place to hide at that level of management.

There was never any need to loan Saliba, get rid of Ozil or Guendouzi - the former could have gained valuable PL experience here and the latter two could have been phased out with less drama whilst helping us when required. He created the circumstances that had the potential to bite him in the ass, unnecessarily. Needs to learn to get what he wants as a manager WITHOUT the drama.

When Arteta told Willian he was going to win the CL in three years it revealed his naïveté. Even great managers can go decades without winning it. And this nubbie shows up all enthusiastic and things he’s going to do it in season three? Pep did it because he had a squad comprising of Etoo, Henry, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Yaya, Busquets, Puyol, Pique, Abidal etc. Try doing it with fcking Xhaka and Lacazette.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:16 pm

I think it was perfectly acceptable to target winning the CL in 3 years, was it an aggressive timeline ? Of course, but nothing wrong with being ambitious.

Look at our starting point, 8th but should really have been 6th, with the additions to the squad we made we should have been battling for a top 4 spot. Once qualified for the CL had Arteta shown the ability to beat the top teams (like he has in the Premier League) we would've had a shout at winning the CL. I don't think it was a preposterous idea.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Paddy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:33 am

we literally have one of the most talented young CBs in the world and we're not giving him a chance but instead spending 50m on white

how much more ridiculous can this club get?
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:24 am

theHotHead wrote:I think it was perfectly acceptable to target winning the CL in 3 years, was it an aggressive timeline ? Of course, but nothing wrong with being ambitious.

Look at our starting point, 8th but should really have been 6th, with the additions to the squad we made we should have been battling for a top 4 spot. Once qualified for the CL had Arteta shown the ability to beat the top teams (like he has in the Premier League) we would've had a shout at winning the CL. I don't think it was a preposterous idea.

He’s won a.few one off matches, over two legs he’d never beat the top teams, he couldn’t even overcome Villereal and Olympiakos last season.

Over one leg it’s anyone’s game, over two legs though different story.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk