William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:32 pm

Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:It’s a personal thing. If he’s comfortable integrating Lokonga into the squad there is no logic to alienating Saliba. There is more to this than meets the eye.

Lakonga looked good straight away.
Saliba did not.
Not all young players are equal in their development.

It's extraordinary that such basic things have to be explained.

Did Lokonga play for the U23s or first team ?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:33 pm

Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:It’s a personal thing. If he’s comfortable integrating Lokonga into the squad there is no logic to alienating Saliba. There is more to this than meets the eye.

Lakonga looked good straight away.
Saliba did not.
Not all young players are equal in their development.

It's extraordinary that such basic things have to be explained.

Quite. i don't see how you or Jay do not know the difference between playing for the /u23s and playing for the first team !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-news-william-saliba-arteta-24927019

OM fans have been singing his praises and reckon he has been the best defender at the club so far this term.

Ben Senouillet from podcast The Marseille View spoke to The Gooner Talk about Saliba’s start to life under Jorge Sampaoli, saying: “Saliba, I think I can honestly say he’s been our best defender. He’s been solid, he’s quick.”

And he also questioned Arsenal's decision to send him out on loan when he was 'ready-made' to play for Arteta's side.

He added: “Well, if he’s capable? Yes, why have you gone out and splashed the cash on players that aren’t necessarily complimentary, or that you need to mold into this process or this Arsenal system you’re trying to implement when seemingly you have a ready-made player here?”

Overall I think Saliba is doing pretty well, not great.
He's young and still learning - good place for him with far less pressure.
His passing has been very good and he looks comfortable on the ball.
His positioning is not so good - not getting to opponents quickly enough hence he hardly makes any tackles.
His heading is also not great, which ironically was supposed to be a deal-breaker, but apparently only if it's for the purpose of slagging off one of our players actually in OUR squad. This year Saliba has won 50% of his aeriel duels. That's less than Peres on the opposite side of Marseille's defence and it's actually less than Ben White achieved in the PL last year.

If he can get better we could recoup some money on him so all for the media bigging him up.

Come back and comment once your boy Arteta has won a point.

The comment was about Saliba not Arteta or our points haul.
Like I said, not great at tackling and not great at heading so far this season.
He does look good at passing it short out of defence and running out of defence however.
He's in a good place to improve his skills, though. Not the same pressure as the big leagues.

I hope for him to keep improving so he can either be sold for a decent fee or try again at the higher level next year.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 pm

Outstanding for St Etienne, outstanding for Nice, outstanding for Marseille.

He’s really begin to look like the real deal, we want to bring him back in as soon as possible as judging from the Brentford game and the two subsequent games, we need some decent defenders.

I think most of us have been very excited are thought of seeing him play for us.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:05 pm

Özim wrote:Outstanding for St Etienne, outstanding for Nice, outstanding for Marseille.

He’s really begin to look like the real deal, we want to bring him back in as soon as possible as judging from the Brentford game and the two subsequent games, we need some decent defenders.

I think most of us have been very excited are thought of seeing him play for us.

He's only won 50% of his headers and made less than 1 tackle per game.
How is he outstanding if he can't head the ball or tackle? I thought being poor in the air was a big no-no for defenders??

Could it be that a 6/10 has become a 10/10 because well... Arteta bad....? :think:
:biggrin:
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:11 pm

He’s been outstanding, everyone that’s seen him thinks so, don’t need some pointless stats to know that, we all know how pointless stat paint a different picture from the stat you always post about last season.

It’s not my opinion it’s everyone whose watched him, most people like to use their eyes to judge a player.

Sorry but it has nothing to do with Arteta but he’s still rubbish.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:14 pm

Özim wrote:You literally do not have a clue, everyone is praising him and yet you’re criticising him with lame digs, suits your pro Arteta agenda I guess.

Ironic really…

Hence why it is not worth the energy. You know where this is going. If such comments came from someone that watches and rates Ligue 1 football, then it's something to take on board, but it's not.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:15 pm

Özim wrote:He’s been outstanding, everyone that’s seen him thinks so, don’t need some pointless stats to know that.

It’s not my opinion it’s everyone whose watched him.

:rofll:

Pointless stats...except when you want to slag White off for not winning headers against a long ball team.

Right now Saliba is not doing great on the key defensive side of winning headers and tackling.
Areas he needs to improve upon. It's mainly down to his poor reading of the game which will hopefully come with experience.
Likely the reason the club thought he was not yet ready.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:20 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:You literally do not have a clue, everyone is praising him and yet you’re criticising him with lame digs, suits your pro Arteta agenda I guess.

Ironic really…

Hence why it is not worth the energy. You know where this is going. If such comments came from someone that watches and rates Ligue 1 football, then it's something to take on board, but it's not.

You’re so right.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Ironic really…

I watch Ligue 1, which is why I know it's way way behind the PL. Not a controversial view at all, it's accepted by the vast majority of people who follow football across leagues. It is simply weaker than the PL, by a lot.
I also watched Saliba in the U23's here and watched him make silly mistakes.
At the lower level in France he's doing OK, but mainly in possession. On the defensive side, lots to improve. Both his managers at Arsenal and Marseille have said he needs to improve and so has Saliba himself.

The lazy approach is to listen to the media who are invested in creating controversy and then spewing out how brilliant a player is just because we loaned him. Saliba, Gunediuzi - superstars overnight because Arteta loaned them. :naughty:

You are right about one thing, though. It is not worth your effort peddling your BS. It stinks from a mile off.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:23 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:He’s been outstanding, everyone that’s seen him thinks so, don’t need some pointless stats to know that.

Pointless stats...except when you want to slag White off for not winning headers against a long ball team.

Right now Saliba is not doing great on the key defensive side of winning headers and tackling.
Areas he needs to improve upon. It's mainly down to his poor reading of the game which will hopefully come with experience.

It wasn’t a stat it’s what we saw, a player who struggled against a player who has just come from the championship, there’s no stat needed.

He is doing great, as I said everyone who has seen him thinks so, his manager, the fans and everyone that watches him, I trust them over some out of context stats.

The club is the same club that gave Xhaka a new contract, you can’t trust their judgement at all.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

It wasn’t a stat it’s what we saw, a player who struggled against a player who has just come from the championship, there’s no stat needed.

He is doing great, as I said everyone who has seen him thinks so, his manager, the fans and everyone that watches him, I trust them over some out of context stats.

The club is the same club that gave Xhaka a new contract, you can’t trust their judgement at all.

So because we gave Xhaka a new contract , Saliba must have been ready? okaaay. :sneaky2:

If you watched Ligue 1 you'd also have had the opportunity to see Saliba lose half his aerial battles.
I guess it's just not factor when you need it not to be.

I happen to think Saliba is doing OK, with areas to improve, but the Arsenal bashing stories using the kid to create controversy are pure BS - and you are buying into it and worse, spreading it - thickly. Like most of your continuous Arsenal bashing.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Ironic really…

You’re so right.

Trust, it's just going around in a circle. If someone can't take on valid reports on Saliba from professionals close to the game, with no agenda, then there isn't much you can say to change his opinion. So what's the purpose of entertaining it further?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:36 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Ironic really…

You’re so right.

Trust, it's just going around in a circle. If someone can't take on valid reports on Saliba from professionals close to the game, with no agenda, then there isn't much you can say to change his opinion. So what's the purpose of entertaining it further?

Perhaps you should watch the games instead of listening to reporters with 'no agenda' (lol).
Reporters are and always will be interested in a story.
They are interested in clicks and views and the Saliba narrative is perfect for ginning up for consumption by fools.
So naive to think otherwise
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:49 pm

Jay, when you watched Ben White last season did you think "hmmm, not very good at winning headers "?

I have no idea how good this infogol website is, but it shows stats for both players.

Saliba 2020/21 - 6.38
White 2020/21 - 6.04

Saliba 2021/22 - 7.32
White 2021/22 - 5.96

Whoscored.com

Saliba 2020/21 - 7.04
White 2020/21 - 6.60

Saliba 2021/22 - 6.66
White 2021/22 - 6.02
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month