William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:03 pm

Bygones are bygones. He's a part of 4CBs and will compete for a spot. Plenty of opportunities to establish himself. On the top of it , we have less defensive worries now and can concentrate on improving the midfield and attack.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TedLasso » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:05 pm

Est83 wrote:
TedLasso wrote:
theHotHead wrote:The feeling I get from Saliba is that he feels hurt by the way he has been treated. Lets not ignore his age, would you want to go back to a manager that loaned you out for 2 seasons and didnt give you a fair opportunity ???

Ultimately I think youre right. Saliba’s experience over three years has been that he’s told he’s not ready and not wanted. At Marseille, he was loved and the first name on the team sheet. In his eyes, Marseille is a bigger club than Arsenal. If he were a free agent, Arsenal wouldn’t have a chance of landing him over Marseille to be honest.

Bigger club? Is that purely based on CL qualification?

If he stayed and didn't get games, it'd be like Odegaard at Madrid, not getting a chance, day by day lowering his potential. That, surely, is more frustrating than going out on loan for three seasons.

I get that he feels overlooked, but he's literally only as good as he is because he's had three seasons with plenty of game time that he just wouldn't have got at any top club. Did Emery beat anyone to his signature? From my memory only Totscum were after him, and he said that he sees us as the biggest club in England and one that he grew up watching.

I hope this can be smoothed over.

I hear you but Saliba grew up a Marseille fan I believe and the passion for that club is insane there. Imagine yourself playing for Napoli and they loaned you to Arsenal where you became a star player and helped us to the Champions League. Would you want to go back to Napoli the next season or would you try to make your loan to Arsenal permanent?
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:17 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Reiss wrote:About to be offered a new contract apparently.

Puts to bed all of the nonsense about Arteta not wanting him and how we're about to lose him for nothing.

All that hysteria about nothing, as usual.

Arteta cannot get a championship level striker like Eddie to sign a rumoured £100k PW contract.

How far is he going to get with offering one to a player who he never gave a chance to , who is now worth 10x what Eddie is?

Actually, it looks like Arteta has managed to convince Eddie to stay when it looks like he was set on leaving.

But don't let that get in the way of your negative hysteria.

He's listed on the club website as out of contract, with "talks ongoing":

https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-annou ... ct-players

When a player like Nketiah is deliberating over whether he should sign a 100k contract with you, you really know you’re stock has fallen considerably.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:26 pm

Est83 wrote:
TedLasso wrote:
theHotHead wrote:The feeling I get from Saliba is that he feels hurt by the way he has been treated. Lets not ignore his age, would you want to go back to a manager that loaned you out for 2 seasons and didnt give you a fair opportunity ???

Ultimately I think youre right. Saliba’s experience over three years has been that he’s told he’s not ready and not wanted. At Marseille, he was loved and the first name on the team sheet. In his eyes, Marseille is a bigger club than Arsenal. If he were a free agent, Arsenal wouldn’t have a chance of landing him over Marseille to be honest.

Bigger club? Is that purely based on CL qualification?

If he stayed and didn't get games, it'd be like Odegaard at Madrid, not getting a chance, day by day lowering his potential. That, surely, is more frustrating than going out on loan for three seasons.

I get that he feels overlooked, but he's literally only as good as he is because he's had three seasons with plenty of game time that he just wouldn't have got at any top club. Did Emery beat anyone to his signature? From my memory only Totscum were after him, and he said that he sees us as the biggest club in England and one that he grew up watching.

I hope this can be smoothed over.

I understand what you are trying to say but I think it important that we make the distinction - Saliba didn't improve because he went on loan, he improved because he was top young player. Just like Fabregas and RVP, they didn't improve because of Wenger, they would've under any manager. Wenger gave them game time but thats yer lot.

Saliba would've improved going anywhere
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:46 pm

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/saliba- ... a291da4a0c

Guendouzi trying to humiliate Arteta
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:08 pm

He's still an Arsenal player and can leave for 50mil.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reiss » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:39 am

swipe right wrote:
Reiss wrote:

Puts to bed all of the nonsense about Arteta not wanting him and how we're about to lose him for nothing.

Arteta cannot get a championship level striker like Eddie to sign a rumoured £100k PW contract.

How far is he going to get with offering one to a player who he never gave a chance to , who is now worth 10x what Eddie is?

Actually, it looks like Arteta has managed to convince Eddie to stay when it looks like he was set on leaving.

Seriously? You think there’s a single club of our size or level in for Nketiah?

'lets change the goalposts when we've been proved wrong'
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Reiss » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:42 am

Reiss wrote:

He's listed on the club website as out of contract, with "talks ongoing":

https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-annou ... ct-players

Yes. So we're in discussions about a new contract then. Looks like Arteta can convince him to stay.

I love the fact I don't even need to embarrass you guys, you do it yourselves lmao.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:46 pm

ag6789 wrote:He's still an Arsenal player and can leave for 50mil.

This only works if the buying team's manager has a hardon for stockpiling defenders like ours does.

In reality we would sell for far less. £25m now would be a good offer because in a year's time it will be £10m, and after that, £0.

In summer 20/21, we had Mustafi on the market for £10m and no bids came in. So we offered him a new contract just so he wouldn't leave on a free. But he did. Nketiah is out of contract and we are still trying to extend him. Same with Saliba now. We're trying to extend because the window in which we can get a fee for him is shrinking rapidly.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:51 pm

ag6789 wrote:He's still an Arsenal player and can leave for 50mil.

This only works if the buying team's manager has a hardon for stockpiling defenders like ours does.

In reality we would sell for far less. £25m now would be a good offer because in a year's time it will be £10m, and after that, £0.

In summer 20/21, we had Mustafi on the market for £10m and no bids came in. So we offered him a new contract just so he wouldn't leave on a free. But he did. Nketiah is out of contract and we are still trying to extend him. Same with Saliba now. We're trying to extend because the window in which we can get a fee for him is shrinking rapidly.

You say he's only worth £25M but that's only because he's got Arsenal Transfer Aids

This is a condition that all players we wish to sell seem to mysteriously get. Main symptom is an unexplainable drop in value compared to if they were being sold by a different club

One of the best young defenders in Europe and we're chucking him in the discount section like a stale bun
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:04 pm

But it is worthwhile to give both Nketiah and Saliba extensions since both are young and likely to improve. Not so w/ Mustafi, as his run was already run.
Saliba, did well in league1, so his stock should be up at least in France. He might fetch good value there. But if he stays, he has a good chance of establishing himself at Arsenal, since we will fight on four fronts and he has opportunity to break into the first competing w/ White and Holding in a back 4 or even better when we play 3 at back.
Actually, given our injury record, even 4 CBs might not be enough in a long season ( w /WC) of 50+ games.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm

UFGN wrote:
You say he's only worth £25M but that's only because he's got Arsenal Transfer Aids

This is a condition that all players we wish to sell seem to mysteriously get. Main symptom is an unexplainable drop in value compared to if they were being sold by a different club

One of the best young defenders in Europe and we're chucking him in the discount section like a stale bun

Yes, and it doesn't help that the manager tends to keep everybody in the dark about his squad plans. AMN said as much last summer when his loan to Everton was blocked at the last minute. We could have banked £10m for him by now and freed up wages and a squad spot.

I imagine the same is true of Nketiah and now Saliba. Nketiah ran his deal out because he can't trust Arteta to give him regular minutes, even with 2 leading strikers gone. Saliba justifiably has to wonder what chance he has with BW and Gabriel being starters.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:36 pm

UFGN wrote:

Yes, and it doesn't help that the manager tends to keep everybody in the dark about his squad plans. AMN said as much last summer when his loan to Everton was blocked at the last minute. We could have banked £10m for him by now and freed up wages and a squad spot.

I imagine the same is true of Nketiah and now Saliba. Nketiah ran his deal out because he can't trust Arteta to give him regular minutes, even with 2 leading strikers gone. Saliba justifiably has to wonder what chance he has with BW and Gabriel being starters.

Nketiah and Balogun share the same agent. Balogun was in the last year of his contract and wanted more game time, similar to Nketiah . He ended up signing a new deal but reports are saying he wants to leave again and I'm not surprised. He hardly played at all last season. I can understand why Nketiah hasn't signed a new deal yet. His agent will be able to tell him exactly what was said to convince Balogun to sign and if it was bullshit.

ESR is a bit of a dodgy one as well. Long contract talks and they have him the 10 shirt to then go on and sign Odegaard to play as the real 10.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:55 pm

Saliba and Martinelli are now officially homegrown players. (Registered for 3 years prior to turning 21.)
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:17 pm

3 years and we have not seen a peep out of him yet ......
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk