William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:57 pm

an outstanding show of support.. mad props to true Goons
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:01 pm

I was down that end. We didn't hesitate to get behind him. There was an mad positive vibe in the ground today.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby starmandb » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:16 pm

UFGN wrote:I was down that end. We didn't hesitate to get behind him. There was an mad positive vibe in the ground today.

Was in there too mate but up the other end
Wasn’t quite as vocal as your end but the general feel was fantastic
I have looked back as far as goal times are available 90/91
And we have not scored twice after the other team have scored quicker and I don’t remember it happening in the 20 years before that
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:02 am

It's easy though to support the players when we're all not scared and expecting a team collapse like previous seasons.

In previous seasons that og could of caused a loss.

They've given us that optimistic attitude and we just returned it in kind.

But yes it's nice to see, plus we can all see his talent and we want him to re-sign.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:17 am

I'm of the opinion that the disappointment of his own goal will actually prove to be a massive blessing in disguise for Saliba, by tempering the natural inclination of a young man to not only like all of the adulation he's received these past few weeks on top of a great breakout season with Marseille that was also laced with accolades and achievements, and allow for even the smallest smidgen of hype to seep into his mentality.

There are far too many examples of good young players blessed with tons of natural ability who seemingly have the world at their feet, only for them to start believing the hype surrounding them whilst failing to recognise it for what it truly is and they effectively end up slowly poisoning their own career, and by the time that they've woken up to that realisation, it's usually too late to be rescued and they are now yesterday's news that no one's fussed about any more.

As Arsenal fans, we don't really need to look much beyond Lord Bendtner for a good example of this, whilst to a lesser and slightly different extent, someone like Mike Tyson will readily recognise that parallel also, while an Adrian Broner probably never will having truly swallowed it all down to the point of even believing his own hype.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:38 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm of the opinion that the disappointment of his own goal will actually prove to be a massive blessing in disguise for Saliba, by tempering the natural inclination of a young man to not only like all of the adulation he's received these past few weeks on top of a great breakout season with Marseille that was also laced with accolades and achievements, and allow for even the smallest smidgen of hype to seep into his mentality.

There are far too many examples of good young players blessed with tons of natural ability who seemingly have the world at their feet, only for them to start believing the hype surrounding them whilst failing to recognise it for what it truly is and they effectively end up slowly poisoning their own career, and by the time that they've woken up to that realisation, it's usually too late to be rescued and they are now yesterday's news that no one's fussed about.

As Arsenal fans, we don't really need to look much beyond Lord Bendtner for a good example of this, whilst to a lesser and slightly different extent, someone like Mike Tyson will readily recognise that parallel while an Adrian Broner probably never will.

The good thing about it was the fact that Saliba didn't let the own goal get to his head and affect his game. He's made mistakes before and he'll make more but it's that self belief and confidence that keeps a player grounded but performing at a high level.

I don't think the own goal will be a blessing in disguise for Saliba because he's been here before. I don't think he needs knocking down a peg or two because that would also suggest his confidence comes from what people say about him.

If anything, it is just reminder to the fans that he will make mistakes like any defender and not pounce on him. They had a discussion on one of the podcasts about the 'All or Nothing' bit on Tavares where he said he couldn't stop thinking about the mistakes he made during a game. The psychology of a player is important and we do need players that are confident/arrogant enough to not let one mistake snowball into something bigger.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:12 am

Saw the og. Instant thought was how he reacts to this will determine how good he is. Own goals happen. The reaction is most important.

I've seen certain arsenal players disappear and be garbage after making a mistake. Hi Kos. Saliba stood up and went on like a boss.

We have a star in the making.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:36 am

Power n Glory wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm of the opinion that the disappointment of his own goal will actually prove to be a massive blessing in disguise for Saliba, by tempering the natural inclination of a young man to not only like all of the adulation he's received these past few weeks on top of a great breakout season with Marseille that was also laced with accolades and achievements, and allow for even the smallest smidgen of hype to seep into his mentality.

There are far too many examples of good young players blessed with tons of natural ability who seemingly have the world at their feet, only for them to start believing the hype surrounding them whilst failing to recognise it for what it truly is and they effectively end up slowly poisoning their own career, and by the time that they've woken up to that realisation, it's usually too late to be rescued and they are now yesterday's news that no one's fussed about.

As Arsenal fans, we don't really need to look much beyond Lord Bendtner for a good example of this, whilst to a lesser and slightly different extent, someone like Mike Tyson will readily recognise that parallel while an Adrian Broner probably never will.

The good thing about it was the fact that Saliba didn't let the own goal get to his head and affect his game. He's made mistakes before and he'll make more but it's that self belief and confidence that keeps a player grounded but performing at a high level.

I don't think the own goal will be a blessing in disguise for Saliba because he's been here before. I don't think he needs knocking down a peg or two because that would also suggest his confidence comes from what people say about him.

If anything, it is just reminder to the fans that he will make mistakes like any defender and not pounce on him. They had a discussion on one of the podcasts about the 'All or Nothing' bit on Tavares where he said he couldn't stop thinking about the mistakes he made during a game. The psychology of a player is important and we do need players that are confident/arrogant enough to not let one mistake snowball into something bigger.

It would appear that there's been a little bit of a misinterpretation of the point I was alluding to, given that it wasn't coming from an angle of knocking him down a peg or two at all, as he strikes me as a fairly well balanced and humble enough young man and it being more a case of not allowing for any of the hype he's going to be bombarded with to an insane level to cause him to lose sight of that. Furthermore, everything else that you state in your first and last paragraphs in particular pretty much echo my own sentiments entirely.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

It would appear that there's been a little bit of a misinterpretation of the point I was alluding to, given that it wasn't coming from an angle of knocking him down a peg or two at all, as he strikes me as a fairly well balanced and humble enough young man and it being more a case of not allowing for any of the hype he's going to be bombarded with to an insane level to cause him to lose sight of that. Furthermore, everything else that you state in your first and last paragraphs in particular pretty much echo my own sentiments entirely.

We're on a similar page but I disagree with your first paragraph.

I'm of the opinion that the disappointment of his own goal will actually prove to be a massive blessing in disguise for Saliba, by tempering the natural inclination of a young man to not only like all of the adulation he's received these past few weeks on top of a great breakout season with Marseille that was also laced with accolades and achievements, and allow for even the smallest smidgen of hype to seep into his mentality.

Just like we wouldn't want hype to seep into his mentality, I would also hope we don't need a 'blessing in disguise' in the form of a mistake to level him out. Not at this stage. I hope he blocks out all the noise from outside and stays focused.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:29 pm

Nothing he could do and can't blame the keeper either.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:01 pm

I thought he could have done better with the OG, it was avoidable, just head it out a bit wider and let it go out for a corner.

Still, it happens, and we won big, so on to the next one.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Yep, I thought it was unfortunate and should be treated as such.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:52 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:I thought he could have done better with the OG, it was avoidable, just head it out a bit wider and let it go out for a corner.

Still, it happens, and we won big, so on to the next one.

You can only direct a header when you can get the right purchase on it. If you are reaching and the only part of your head that can get to it is the part of you that heads it - you are committed to it going where it is going to go. Sometimes you only have the time for instinct, to just get something - anything on it too.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby #ST » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:07 am

Very happy with the love and support he is getting in the Emirates! Hope it persuades him to stay.. Very worried about his contract situation.

As for the mistake.. It happens. We won 4-2 so it wasnt a point-losing mistake. All is well. Both of m ( goalkeeper/defender ) will learn from this.

Im pretty sure he will be getting #2 next season IF he stays. I want a home shirt with him on it!
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:41 am

Saliba for me is the best part about this season hands down, Jesus is in second place
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk