William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:45 am

VCC wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
VCC wrote:Credit to Saliba he looks class, the type of player who could transcend players around him, also i tip my hat to Arteta because should Saliba continue in this fashion Arteta is sure to be questioned over the last two years, i like the lad its hard not to like a defender that can tackle head a ball and read the game

Its more if he doesn't re-sign and we lose him, if Arteta convinces him to sign then we can pass this off as a loan move come good, but if he doesn't sign and the big clubs snap him up it'll be an autopsy on Arteta's handling of this and why it went south.

Sounded excited to be playing for us, is he a fan?

Surly we can get that contract signed

I hope the fans' reactions are enough to convince him.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:54 am

VCC wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
VCC wrote:Credit to Saliba he looks class, the type of player who could transcend players around him, also i tip my hat to Arteta because should Saliba continue in this fashion Arteta is sure to be questioned over the last two years, i like the lad its hard not to like a defender that can tackle head a ball and read the game

Its more if he doesn't re-sign and we lose him, if Arteta convinces him to sign then we can pass this off as a loan move come good, but if he doesn't sign and the big clubs snap him up it'll be an autopsy on Arteta's handling of this and why it went south.

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:49 pm

theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:57 pm

Spot on
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:31 pm

Yes great article, I don’t buy into this idea that Arteta managed it well by sending him out an extra year.

The reason he did is because he didn’t really rate him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Est83 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:27 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Yes great article, I don’t buy into this idea that Arteta managed it well by sending him out an extra year.

Why not?

This has as much chance of being a masterstroke (new deal) as a colossal f**k up (leaves for cheap next summer). But I don't think it's that hard to believe that he was just one year of regular football away from showing his true potential.

I don't think there's any concrete evidence to believe either way. He was good last season, but still with flaws. To be expected with his age of course. But I remember two distinct times that he was given the lowest rating in his team due to costly individual errors. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it shows that he still needed development, which only a loan spell could bring.

The Spanish giants get to play their kids in a B team in a lower league, but still send so many of them out on loan. Mega rich Chelsea and City send more out than we do too, at an age where they'd be expected to be knocking on the door.

Part of being a big team is being fully stocked of young hopefuls, and sending the majority on loan at pivotal ages in order to get game time that they just wouldn't be able to get at their big parent club. I think this is becoming more normal.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:32 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
VCC wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:52 am

Est83 wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Yes great article, I don’t buy into this idea that Arteta managed it well by sending him out an extra year.

Why not?

This has as much chance of being a masterstroke (new deal) as a colossal f**k up (leaves for cheap next summer). But I don't think it's that hard to believe that he was just one year of regular football away from showing his true potential.

I don't think there's any concrete evidence to believe either way. He was good last season, but still with flaws. To be expected with his age of course. But I remember two distinct times that he was given the lowest rating in his team due to costly individual errors. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it shows that he still needed development, which only a loan spell could bring.

The Spanish giants get to play their kids in a B team in a lower league, but still send so many of them out on loan. Mega rich Chelsea and City send more out than we do too, at an age where they'd be expected to be knocking on the door.

Part of being a big team is being fully stocked of young hopefuls, and sending the majority on loan at pivotal ages in order to get game time that they just wouldn't be able to get at their big parent club. I think this is becoming more normal.

I don't agree with that at all ! Few if any BIG MONEY signings of young players result in them going out on loan immediately. Most that are actually loaned out stay on at the club they signed from, for another season of development, that I understand completely. But to buy a top rated young player then loan him out to totally different clubs is absolutely not the action of a club/manager that has confidence in the player.

Wenger bought 16 year old Ramsey and let him stay at Cardiff for an additional season. Wenger bought 16 year old Walcott and everyone could see he wasn't ready, but he managed to get 16 league appearances - there is not a chance that Saliba wasn't more ready to play for the Arsenal first team when he was bought than Walcott was when we bought him. Real Madrid bought Odegaard and he spent pretty much 2 seasons in their B team before being loaned out.

Saliba was ready, he would be rusty, of course, new league and all that, but his performances at Nice proved he was ready, the fact he kicked on even more at Marseille is down to natural development due to getting game time, not some magic coaching by Marseille.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:24 am

Est83 wrote:

Why not?

I just don’t believe he needed the loan spell before returning, he would have been fine in the PL, just like Fofana has been.

I’m also of the opinion that the reason he wasn’t brought back wasn’t for his development, it was because Arteta didn’t really rate him, in the end he was left with no choice because his performances were so good I’m sure the club would have been unwilling to just let him go and Arteta himself probably realised he wouldn’t come across very well if he did.

Now we can just hope he signs a new contract, had we brought him back last summer or at the very least given him a new contract (that might have required bringing him back for the season though), we’d be in a much better position.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Callum » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Callum and PG wrote this guy off.

However the Goonerworld faithful knew all along he was the dogs bollocks.

Top performance tonight.

When?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:09 pm

Callum wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Callum and PG wrote this guy off.

However the Goonerworld faithful knew all along he was the dogs bollocks.

Top performance tonight.

When?
He was joking ffs
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:57 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Est83 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:40 pm

Thoughts on the own goal? I was working.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:43 pm

Had to go for it. Shit position from the keeper didn't help
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby CaptGooner » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:44 pm