William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:37 pm

If we're to keep him than surely we need to tie him down to a new deal ?

2 years left on his current one. If he performs well in the Prem this year we're going to be screwed. Either he holds us to ransom for huge wages or we agree a cut price deal.

The club should have renewed him when agreeing to loan him to Marseille.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:44 pm

Right and the only reason we haven't is because people didn't rate him/didnt think he would become the asset that it was obvious he would become. Thats why they didnt fully invest in him.

So contrary to the arguments made by some Arteta had no clue how good this player really was, so much for his ability to assess players !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:50 pm

Zenith wrote:Saliba and Martinelli are now officially homegrown players. (Registered for 3 years prior to turning 21.)

Homegrown is a strange term in this scenario when a player has never even featured for his club and was bought and spent his entire career abroad.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Est83 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:26 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Est83 wrote:
TedLasso wrote:
theHotHead wrote:The feeling I get from Saliba is that he feels hurt by the way he has been treated. Lets not ignore his age, would you want to go back to a manager that loaned you out for 2 seasons and didnt give you a fair opportunity ???

Ultimately I think youre right. Saliba’s experience over three years has been that he’s told he’s not ready and not wanted. At Marseille, he was loved and the first name on the team sheet. In his eyes, Marseille is a bigger club than Arsenal. If he were a free agent, Arsenal wouldn’t have a chance of landing him over Marseille to be honest.

Bigger club? Is that purely based on CL qualification?

If he stayed and didn't get games, it'd be like Odegaard at Madrid, not getting a chance, day by day lowering his potential. That, surely, is more frustrating than going out on loan for three seasons.

I get that he feels overlooked, but he's literally only as good as he is because he's had three seasons with plenty of game time that he just wouldn't have got at any top club. Did Emery beat anyone to his signature? From my memory only Totscum were after him, and he said that he sees us as the biggest club in England and one that he grew up watching.

I hope this can be smoothed over.

I understand what you are trying to say but I think it important that we make the distinction - Saliba didn't improve because he went on loan, he improved because he was top young player. Just like Fabregas and RVP, they didn't improve because of Wenger, they would've under any manager. Wenger gave them game time but thats yer lot.

Saliba would've improved going anywhere

Kind of my point though. If you don't get enough game time during important developmental years, you're potentially stunted.

Saliba is obviously a quality player, but he's improved massively in part due to the extra minutes, as Fabregas and RVP did.

The loans have made him better.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:27 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Zenith wrote:Saliba and Martinelli are now officially homegrown players. (Registered for 3 years prior to turning 21.)

Homegrown is a strange term in this scenario when a player has never even featured for his club and was bought and spent his entire career abroad.

It's a ridiculous technicality. You shouldn't be able to claim HG unless the player spent at least a year in the academy, or played first team football for us before turning 18.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:33 pm

I totally agree with you, I’m amazed this wasn’t considered when bringing in this rule.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zenith » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:36 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:22 am

Its the right move but I am still pissed that it is at least a season and a half too late!!

Better late than never, fine, but im still pissed with the idiots managing the club.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:32 pm

Marseille has tabled a 26 mil bid. Saliba wants the move. He won’t sign a new deal which means this is the max we can get. Game over.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:40 pm

Lol what are they smoking over there.

French young player of the year. French international. 21. Homegrown.

How much are Ajax demanding for that Timber pubber - £50m ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Zenith wrote:

Fantastic news if true.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:52 am

Yeah lets hope this story is true and Swipey's story is wrong
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:39 am

Marseille know this is a 60 mil player they can get for 26 mil. The player doesn’t trust Arteta and won’t sit on the bench. He gets to not only start at marseille but play champions league. It’s a non story. Let’s move on.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Rumors he will get a new contract.

We would be f***ing morons if we sell. Arteta needs to get his head out his aas and use him
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:25 pm

elkanofan wrote:Rumors he will get a new contract.

We would be f***ing morons if we sell. Arteta needs to get his head out his aas and use him

We may well be chasing his signature all season like we did with Eddie.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk