William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby Ach » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:25 pm

It's perfectly understandable if you know jay's history since the 180.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:32 pm

TedLasso wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:When he opted to play in the inferior league that made him hot property in the first place :dontknow:

Is he hot property?
Didn't notice that.
Marseille wanting to keep him doesn't really make him hot property does it?

Who else is in for him?
Like I said, get Marseille to cough up £35m or see if he can make it in the PL.
Not sure what the downside is?
When there is only upside - that's good management.

We paid £27m, other clubs wanted him, he was hot property. We didn't just pay £27m for no reason.

So you agree then - his career faded. He went from a hot property that we bought for £27m as a youngster to a player sent back to the French League.
Unless you think in the summer someone would have bought him for more than £27m? I don't think so.

No it didn't fade at all, it remained the same and has increased during his spell at Marseille.

So where were all the £30m plus bids when he couldn't make it Arsenal?

This is such a bizarre stance to take. One of the most promising CB prospects in Europe, who is having a very strong season in Ligue 1 and the Europa league, has "faded" because there hasn't been a public declaration of a bid for the kid? He's 21 and clearly still developing so no idea what his career faded from lol

I really don't understand your ill will towards the kid but go off.

Turns up for £27m to much fanfare.
Doesn't make the squad.
Plays in the reserves and gets loaned out back to France.

Obviously his career has faded from the initial fanfare.

Ill will? No. I hope that either - we sell him for a profit or he can make our squad IF he stays. Either way is good, which is why the situation is a win/win, which takes me back to the original point. Good management.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:53 pm

TedLasso wrote:"fanfare"

lol ffs

£27m and most definitely touted as a Saliba/Gabriel partnership that would solve our defensive issues.
If you think that from the signing for £27m and to the end of last season his career had not faded, don't know what to tell you.
He's doing better this year and that means we could make a profit on him - or use him.
It's all good.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 pm

TedLasso wrote:I try not to judge player's careers based on what random fans think. It's poor practice.

Saliba was bought as a prospect with immense potential. Through three loan spells now, he is starting to realize that potential and his skills are in their ascendency. That is not in doubt.

FOH with this "career fading" nonsense for a 21 year old lol

Especially as he's excelled on loan since we got him
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:31 pm

TedLasso wrote:I try not to judge player's careers based on what random fans think. It's poor practice.

Saliba was bought as a prospect with immense potential. Through three loan spells now, he is starting to realize that potential and his skills are in their ascendency. That is not in doubt.

It's not what I think - it is what happened.
We paid £27m - there was much fanfare about how he and Gabriel were the solution to our defensive woes.
Since then he's played zero games in the PL, missed a large chunk of time and been sent on loan to a lower league.
Saying his career has faded is correct.
That does not mean it will not reignite again, but he's gone backwards from being a potential solution for Arsenal FC to a loanee still looking to break into our squad never mind our first team.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:40 pm

TedLasso wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:When he opted to play in the inferior league that made him hot property in the first place :dontknow:

Is he hot property?
Didn't notice that.

Who else is in for him?

We paid £27m, other clubs wanted him, he was hot property. We didn't just pay £27m for no reason.

So you agree then - his career faded. He went from a hot property that we bought for £27m as a youngster to a player sent back to the French League.
Unless you think in the summer someone would have bought him for more than £27m? I don't think so.

No it didn't fade at all, it remained the same and has increased during his spell at Marseille.

This is such a bizarre stance to take. One of the most promising CB prospects in Europe, who is having a very strong season in Ligue 1 and the Europa league, has "faded" because there hasn't been a public declaration of a bid for the kid? He's 21 and clearly still developing so no idea what his career faded from lol

I really don't understand your ill will towards the kid but go off.

Exactly this, I remember at the time a host of big name clubs were interested in him so for that reason alone I wanted us to get him but didn't fancy our chances. It was pure surprise to me when it was announced that we bought him. He was one of the hottest young prospects in Europe.

People used that same stick to bash Ozil when we bought him and while he was with us, that he must somehow not be that good because no bids were made in public - like all bids are made public anyway!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:41 pm

Reiss wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Reiss wrote:If someone offered us £40m I'd say take it.

We have our CB partnership now and Saliba's too good to wanna sit on the bench.

Put that £40m towards a CM.

I hear you, but thats a small club attitude. What happens if Ben White or Gabriel get injured?!! We need to have at least 3 quality CBs.

Clubs rarely have 3 top CB's. Why would the third CB sit on the bench?

Realistically, Ben White won't be dropped cause we spent £50m on him. That leaves Gabriel and Saliba fighting for the other spot.

White + Gabriel have formed a decent partnership so I can't see Gabriel being dropped.

I think we should be looking at rotation to be honest.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:43 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Reiss wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I hear you, but thats a small club attitude. What happens if Ben White or Gabriel get injured?!! We need to have at least 3 quality CBs.

Realistically, Ben White won't be dropped cause we spent £50m on him. That leaves Gabriel and Saliba fighting for the other spot.

White + Gabriel have formed a decent partnership so I can't see Gabriel being dropped.

I think we should be looking at rotation to be honest.

If he continues on track, I think he could be very useful next year for us - especially in games where we decide on a back 3 or to cover injuries / rotate as you say. That is IF he wants to stay and fight for a place. If not, we can selland the way it is looking we might get more than our money back which is brilliant compared to where we were with him a year ago.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:45 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Is he hot property?
Didn't notice that.

Who else is in for him?

Don’t recall anyone bidding for your boy Ben White either when we generously handed over 50 mil which is close to double what we paid for Saliba.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Is he hot property?
Didn't notice that.

Who else is in for him?

Don’t recall anyone bidding for your boy Ben White either when we generously handed over 50 mil which is close to double what we paid for Saliba.

We did.
Obviously...and what a super signing he has been.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:00 pm

I pretty much view this situation as simple as deeming Benjamin White as close to a modern day version of Kolo Toure, Gabriel Magalhaes as a modern day young Tony Adams and Billy Saliba as the equivalent of a young Sol Campbell.

As such, I'm struggling to digest what I consider to be a rather ill thought out notion of jettisoning a probable Big Sol 2.0 in the name of profit margins and percentage yields, after having been blessed with as close to a reborn Big Tone as we've seen since his retirement that he could be partnering with.

I can only hazard a guess that the core of initial disgruntlement regards the pursuit and purchase of the former Brighton man, and their assessment of him as not being good enough to warrant the £50M price tag, has now reversed itself into a conservationist attitude of keeping everything as it is at the heart of our defence with no alterations permitted regardless of any likely promise and prospect of improvement.

However, for as much as I believe that to travel down that road would be pure folly along the lines of the single summer transfer recruitment of Petr Cech, in having had to endure and suffer the era of Senderos, Mustafi and Squillachi to name but three, clinging onto the central defensive partnership of White and Magalhaes like survivors of HMS Titanic to a life raft, is more than understandable in the cold light of day.

For me, I would prefer Arteta had the headache of solving the mathematical impossibility of fitting 3 into 2 every week than see a title challenge reduced to ash and tatters a la Liverpool style when Virgil van Djyk got injured.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:01 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Is he hot property?
Didn't notice that.

Who else is in for him?

We did.
Obviously...and what a super signing he has been.

Only makes us look like idiots if your point is that a players career has faded because no one bid him. Never mind.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:18 am

TedLasso wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

It's not what I think - it is what happened.
We paid £27m - there was much fanfare about how he and Gabriel were the solution to our defensive woes.
Since then he's played zero games in the PL, missed a large chunk of time and been sent on loan to a lower league.
Saying his career has faded is correct.
That does not mean it will not reignite again, but he's gone backwards from being a potential solution for Arsenal FC to a loanee still looking to break into our squad never mind our first team.

Bruh you're out here citing "fanfare" and "being touted" as proof that his career has faded. All the actual data of his performance points to improvement as well as testimonials from his coaches.

Everything I said was true - much fanfare and then a regression.
I think this season he is doing ok and is starting to progress again - but his stock is probably lower now than when we first bought him.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby billie86 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:57 am

Was at fault for 2 goals last night against Galatasary, lost the ball trying to run out from the back for 1 and then got done by a long ball over the top as he was outpaced by Ryan babbel who's now about 46.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby KG3 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:53 am

Reiss wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

If this logic was right Pepe would have been playing every game this season
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk