William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:50 pm

starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:You’re in the minority, most people think he’s been very good, even the people nominating and voting for awards.

I think their view is more meaningful personally since they clearly have seen him play a fair amount.

Personally I think Arteta's and Arsenal's coaches and management team view is more meaningful.
That's why he was sent to a lower league to get better.
I'll go with the coaches view over football journalists - notoriously hacks.

As for watching him. I have watched him play awful the last two games. He needs to get better. He should be dominating in the league he is playing in week in week out except against PSG. He's not.

That’s where we differ, I don’t trust them at all, they’ve got a record of not giving certain players chances and giving others countless chances.

They’ve also overseen our worst Arsenal period since the 70s/80s, I can’t fathom why anyone would trust this bunch.

We got 51 points in 94/95
Bloody inconvenient that season isn’t it
Really spoils the worst since stat they love to trot

Was that around the time we were blowing teams away 5-0 playing sexy football every week under George Graham before he left in Feb?

Worst home season I have seen at the club
I strongly believe that had George still been doing the business the club would have stood by him
It does make me laugh when I see people say wenger just inherited that defence
They were looking old and leaky
The difference was the club didn’t let the situation drift
I worry now that there is not enough holding to account taking place.
Everyone should be on notice always

Well, I do think Wenger inherited a brilliant defence.
The change was needed though - the players were letting themselves down (stories well documented in terms of what was going on).
I do remember that season well and I also wonder whether the timing of GG's bung was a bit suspicious - i.e. I think the club probably turned a blind eye to it until we started to lose games and wanted him out.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:You’re in the minority, most people think he’s been very good, even the people nominating and voting for awards.

I think their view is more meaningful personally since they clearly have seen him play a fair amount.

Personally I think Arteta's and Arsenal's coaches and management team view is more meaningful.

As for watching him. I have watched him play awful the last two games. He needs to get better. He should be dominating in the league he is playing in week in week out except against PSG. He's not.

That’s where we differ, I don’t trust them at all, they’ve got a record of not giving certain players chances and giving others countless chances.

They’ve also overseen our worst Arsenal period since the 70s/80s, I can’t fathom why anyone would trust this bunch.

What the season when Graham got sacked and Houston took over and had a disastrous run?

Also we finished 4th the season before and 5th the season after, don’t recall coming 8th two seasons running.

Thanks for your input though.

Houston was a caretaker
He maintained exactly the same league form that Graham did
Got to a cup winners cup final
And beat Norwich 5-1 Ipswich 4-1 and 4-0 at villa
No thanks needed
I enjoy supporting arsenal
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:56 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Was that around the time we were blowing teams away 5-0 playing sexy football every week under George Graham before he left in Feb?

I strongly believe that had George still been doing the business the club would have stood by him

The change was needed though - the players were letting themselves down (stories well documented in terms of what was going on).
I do remember that season well and I also wonder whether the timing of GG's bung was a bit suspicious - i.e. I think the club probably turned a blind eye to it until we started to lose games and wanted him out.

I thought that at the time. Bungs were rife in football at the time, wasn't he the only one who got sacked for it too?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I thought that at the time. Bungs were rife in football at the time, wasn't he the only one who got sacked for it too?

Indeed
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:57 pm

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

What the season when Graham got sacked and Houston took over and had a disastrous run?

Also we finished 4th the season before and 5th the season after, don’t recall coming 8th two seasons running.

Houston was a caretaker
No thanks needed

Ditto.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:00 pm

We were flirting with relegation that year when Bruce Rioch took over. He brought in the great Bergkamp.
We should know a bit of our history before passing judgements on everything and sundry.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:03 pm

ag6789 wrote:We were flirting with relegation that year when Bruce Rioch took over. He brought in the great Bergkamp.
We should know a bit of our history before passing judgements on everything and sundry.

Indeed we should ( but I think you meant Stewart Houston ;) )
I wish finishing 8th or lower was unusual, but it's not really unless you are a more recent fan who hasn't really read up.
I think Arteta is, as it stands, the manager with the 3rd highest win percentage in our history fo managers that have managed over 10 games or so - and he's getting closer to Emery for 2nd. Not sure where he'd be amongst all PL managers since 92.. bet his top 20% of all of them on win%
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:03 pm

ag6789 wrote:We were flirting with relegation that year when Bruce Rioch took over. He brought in the great Bergkamp.
Flirting with relegation my arse
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:

I seem to recall we were 5 or 6 pts off it before the Forest game, so yeah, not really flirting, more eying across a room :)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

I seem to recall we were 5 or 6 pts off it before the Forest game, so yeah, not really flirting, more eying across a room :)

It was a bigger room
It was 8 points
starmandb

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:27 am

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Houston was a caretaker
No thanks needed

Did he, he lost 6 of his first 8 games and we lost the CWC final, I’ve looked back at the season and can’t see a run as bad as that.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby starmandb » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Houston was a caretaker
No thanks needed

Did he, he lost 6 of his first 8 games and we lost the CWC final, I’ve looked back at the season and can’t see a run as bad as that.

The average amount of points we would have got under George was 51 points
Exactly the amount of points we ended up with and got in the games Houston was in charge
We also went 4 months under Graham without winning a home league game
Houston’s arsenal won a cwc quarter final v auxerre and a semi final v sampdoria
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Houston was a caretaker
No thanks needed

Yes he did.
When Starman said they had exactly the same level of league performance he was not lying.
Under Graham that season we averaged 1.214286 points per game
Under Houston we averaged 1.214286 points per game.

Also getting to a CWC final is not 'a bad run'.
We beat Auxerre and Sampdoria in the quarters and semis under Houston and lost a final to quite a famous last-minute goal.

Sorry, but you were wrong again.

As Starman pointed out initially, you are also wrong when you keep pushing 'the worst season ever' nonsense.
It's simply that you don't have much experience as an Arsenal fan and have expectations that don't actually marry up with our history as a club.
We've been in worse positions than we are now through our history and better positions. Even under the Wenger glory years we had disappointments and frustrations.
You seem to have some weird notions that because we're Arsenal we should be rolling over teams and beating them easily week in week out playing champagne football.
That has NEVER been the case - even at our best.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:21 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Houston was a caretaker
No thanks needed

Yes he did.
When Starman said they had exactly the same level of league performance he was not lying.

We beat Auxerre and Sampdoria in the quarters and semis under Houston and lost a final to quite a famous last-minute goal.

He lost 6 of his first 8 games, I don’t recall Graham doing the at all and of course it much easier to have a higher average over a shorter number of matches so it’s not like for like, not even close as he took over on the 21st Feb (1st match 25th feb).
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:27 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Houston was a caretaker
No thanks needed

Yes he did.

He lost 6 of his first 8 games, I don’t recall Graham doing the at all and of course it much easier to have a higher average over a shorter number of matches so it’s not like for like, not even close as he took over on the 21st Feb (1st match 25th feb).

Starman didn't say ANYTHING about the first 8 games.
Also, we lost 5 of our first 8 games under Houston and won the other 3.
Graham left on the morning of the 21st Feb that year and Houston was installed as the caretaker manager which included the Forest game that evening.

Under Graham 1.214286 points per game.
Under Houston 1.214286 points per game.

That's about as exact as you can get I would say.

Let's stick to the main point, though.
You were incorrect when you said that last year was our worst.
Better for you to just accept you were wrong - because you were.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk