William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:52 am

theHotHead wrote:White's mistakes will not get punished by Burnley and Norwich. Just saying.

White is playing better than Saliba in a much tougher league. If you have to pretend that French League matches up to (or exceeds) the PL, you've lost the plot.

But honestly, this thread is about Salibas loan and his ongoing performances which so far this season show he is not ready for the PL.
If we were watching him as a potential signing right now, we'd all say 'no thanks'.

I will be watching him to see if that changes. Hopefully it will.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:13 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:White's mistakes will not get punished by Burnley and Norwich. Just saying.

White is playing better than Saliba in a much tougher league. If you have to pretend that French League matches up to (or exceeds) the PL, you've lost the plot.

But honestly, this thread is about Salibas loan and his ongoing performances which so far this season show he is not ready for the PL.
If we were watching him as a potential signing right now, we'd all say 'no thanks'.

Varane player eight seasons in the French league and he’s absolutely bossing the prem so your assumption is wrong.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:29 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Varane player eight seasons in the French league and he’s absolutely bossing the prem so your assumption is wrong.

Varane has been average this year. In his latest game against Everton, he was ranked the worst outfield player on the pitch.
There is also no argument being made that French players are no good. The good ones leave the French league...and when you say Varane played for 8 seasons, that is a bit silly really. He left France in 2011 when he was 18. He played just 23 games for Lens senior team and then left - like pretty much all the better players. Gabriel played about 40 games I think before he left for us.

It's a bit worrying that no big money offer has come in for Saliba. He keeps getting picked up on loans back to France and none of the teams from top leagues seem to be beating down our door. By the end of this season he won't be far away from 100 games in France.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Arsenal are following William Saliba's progress closely - they are really happy with the French centre back. #AFC

Arsenal told Saliba weeks ago that they trust him 100% for the future, he joined OM on loan to play all games as starter then he’ll be back. #Arsenal

Source: @FabrizioRomano
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:52 am

He isn’t coming back. I can see PSG going for him. He’s not going to come back to sit on the bench of the tenth best team in England.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:07 am

swipe right wrote:He isn’t coming back. I can see PSG going for him. He’s not going to come back to sit on the bench of the tenth best team in England.

If PSG gave us more than we paid that would be great business.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:40 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:He isn’t coming back. I can see PSG going for him. He’s not going to come back to sit on the bench of the tenth best team in England.

We are not in business. We are in football.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Phil71 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:28 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

The two have gone hand in hand for many years.

Unless you're talking about park football you always need a business model.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Phil71 wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

The two have gone hand in hand for many years.

Unless you're talking about park football you always need a business model.

Great. Then we don’t need to give Arteta any more time. Never heard of a business where the shareholders give the CEO years to rebuild. Bye Arteta.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:08 pm

Nominated for the golden boy award
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Ach wrote:Nominated for the golden boy award

He's in good company. Saka and Martinelli also nominated.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:08 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

I had never heard of it until Ach posted this. So, according to Wiki, its for young footballers playing in Europe perceived to have been the most impressive during a calendar year (two halves to two separate seasons).

Thats big, has to be conclusive proof then that Saliba has been one of the best young players in Europe over a 12 month period. So much for him not being a stand out player nd so much for Arteta's assessment that Saliba isn't ready.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:13 pm

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/15/arsenals ... -15427070/

I don’t understand’ – Marseille star Dimitri Payet questions Arsenal’s treatment of William Saliba

Asked which new player has impressed him the most, Payet told L’Equipe: ‘The new ones have all brought something different. After that, I am closer to younger players.

‘So, the one that impresses me the most is “Willie” (Saliba). Considering what he’s been doing since the start of the season, I don’t understand why he hasn’t played more for Arsenal."

Saliba will have been desperate to send a reminder to Arteta of his quality and the centre-half has made an immediate impression, playing every minute of Marseille’s campaign with the club sitting fifth and boasting the second-best defensive record in Ligue 1.

Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:42 am

Saliba has absolutely exposed Arteta. I am sure even Jay would agree. I mean you banish a guy after two under 23 games and he goes on to be nominated for the golden boy. That’s a real shutdown of Arteta.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:19 am

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I had never heard of it until Ach posted this. So, according to Wiki, its for young footballers playing in Europe perceived to have been the most impressive during a calendar year (two halves to two separate seasons).

Thats big, has to be conclusive proof then that Saliba has been one of the best young players in Europe over a 12 month period. So much for him not being a stand out player nd so much for Arteta's assessment that Saliba isn't ready.

Martinelli was nominated.
So was guendouzi btw ... 3 years ago.

It's good to get nominated, but across Europes top leagues do you know how many U21 players are getting regular game time each week?
It included Martinelli, who has only played less than 1000 minutes of football in 2021.

Also, this is a journalist award - from only 14 publications across Europe.
Given that, it's meaningless other than journalists think that there are 20 players under the age of 21 that stand out against other U21 players. These are the same journalists that write clickbait stories every time Arsenal lose a game and go quiet when we win. Although it could help drive up the price we get for him if we have to sell, which seems likely.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk