William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - OGC Nice)

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am

Fran Solo wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Some of these comments are laughable.

Luiz is the best CB we have, he is the ONLY CB capable of putting in world class performances, he has the best distribution by far and is without doubt the best leader in the team. Admittedly he is the wrong side of 30 but he would definitely not be the first CB I would release!!

I actually like Luiz. But, I think his age and wages are not suitable for us at this moment. Same with Lacazette.
Do I like him? Yes.
Is he our best striker at this moment? Yes. Should we sell him? Yes.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:34 am

Luiz is the best CB we have, he is the ONLY CB capable of putting in world class performances, he has the best distribution by far and is without doubt the best leader in the team. Admittedly he is the wrong side of 30 but he would definitely not be the first CB I would release!!

I agree with, I hope we keep him though experience is very underrated look at Terry, Ferdinand and Kompany playing into their mid 30s, Silva now was PSGs best centre back and now Chelsea’s

Sol Campbell was let go at 30 which was a mistake on our part, having him available in games which we had to use Djourou/Senderos/Song/Gilberto at CB in 07/08 may have been the difference we needed for those 4 points to win the title, remember how good he was when he came back at 35

Arsenal will look at it from a point of view taking into consideration his wages, 7 centre backs on the roster including luiz, everyone else has longer contracts etc

It’s going to be one of those unfortunately, like when we sold Emi over Leno it was convenient for us at the time but not the right decision, my latest post from the David luiz thread explains this further
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Phil71 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am

KG3 wrote:

I agree with, I hope we keep him though experience is very underrated look at Terry, Ferdinand and Kompany playing into their mid 30s, Silva now was PSGs best centre back and now Chelsea’s

Sol Campbell was let go at 30 which was a mistake on our part, having him available in games which we had to use Djourou/Senderos/Song/Gilberto at CB in 07/08 may have been the difference we needed for those 4 points to win the title, remember how good he was when he came back at 35

Arsenal will look at it from a point of view taking into consideration his wages, 7 centre backs on the roster including luiz, everyone else has longer contracts etc

It’s going to be one of those unfortunately, like when we sold Emi over Leno it was convenient for us at the time but not the right decision, my latest post from the David luiz thread explains this further

I think Campbell was released as he was in a bad shape mentally.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby KG3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 am

Phil71 wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

That doesn’t seem like Wenger we’ve had plenty of players go through personal stuff here like Rosicky, Ramsey etc but he always supported them
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Phil71 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:56 am

KG3 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

That doesn’t seem like Wenger we’ve had plenty of players go through personal stuff here like Rosicky, Ramsey etc but he always supported them

He had a mental breakdown in 2006 and never fully recovered.

His official biographer confirms this.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby KG3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Phil71 wrote:
KG3 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

It’s a shame really the support Wenger has given other players in the past and he gives up on Campbell so easy, not right
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 pm

KG3 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/dec/16/newsstory.sport5
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Thought it was well known what sol went through.

Apparently not
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:05 pm

KG3 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
KG3 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

It’s a shame really the support Wenger has given other players in the past and he gives up on Campbell so easy, not right

I don't think he gave up on him.

The club apparently offered to let him have extended leave and other support but he said he was ok.

He broke down after the home match against West Ham in 2006, was seen leaving the stadium in tears, and went missing for four days. When he returned the club offered him the leave and help but he refused and said he was OK. However, he wasn't the same person and his form went through the floor. He went to Portsmouth at the end of that season.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:16 pm

Ach wrote:Thought it was well known what sol went through.

Apparently not

No, you're right, it was documented if not highlighted to the saturation levels it would be today.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:21 pm

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Just pinched this list from the Daily Cannon site, dated 2019, players sold over a 5.5 year period:

Johan Djourou, Denilson, Andrei Arshavin, Andre Santos, Marouane Chamakh, Sebastian Squillaci, Gervinho, Nicklas Bendtner, Lukas Fabianski, Bacary Sagna, Lukas Podolski, Serge Gnabry, Tomas Rosicky, Abou Diaby, Kieran Gibbs, Gabriel Paulista, Wojciech Szczesny, Francis Coquelin, Oliver Giroud, Santi Cazorla, Jack Wilshere, Lucas Perez, Joel Campbell, Mathieu Debuchy, Jeff Reine-Adelaide (who is currently creating chances for fun for the awful strikers who he plays with in Ligue 1) and soon Aaron Ramsey, Petr Cech and Danny Welbeck for a grand total of £77m.

Look at some of the names on this list and we recouped £77m :doh: :BangHead:

2nd rate with us:
Djourou
Denilson
Bendtner
Fabianski
Paulista
Coquelin
Perez
Gibbs
Szczesney
Gervinho
Reine-Adelaide

3rd rate with us:
Chamakh
Squillaci
Campbell

Injured/injury prone when leaving us
Wilshere
Cazorla
Diaby
Welbeck

Retired/past it when leaving
Rosicky
Podolski
Arshavin
Cech

Should have got more money for
Gnabry
Ramsey

Mate, if Solanke with his 1 Liverpool goal or whatever it was could sell for £19m I don't care how shit our players were, £77m is a fraction of what we should've got for those players.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:39 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:

Apparently not

No, you're right, it was documented if not highlighted to the saturation levels it would be today.

We should also remember that Sol Campbell, great though he was, was also the poster child for footballers that are entirely motivated by money and themselves. He loved free agency and the cash it could bring him. We don't know the full details of why we let him go, but I am willing to bet he wanted another free agency pay day.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Apparently not

We should also remember that Sol Campbell, great though he was, was also the poster child for footballers that are entirely motivated by money and themselves. He loved free agency and the cash it could bring him. We don't know the full details of why we let him go, but I am willing to bet he wanted another free agency pay day.

The good old Bosman free.

How much money have footballers made from that - while the man who sacrificed his career to make it possible ended up a penniless alcoholic.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Just pinched this list from the Daily Cannon site, dated 2019, players sold over a 5.5 year period:

Johan Djourou, Denilson, Andrei Arshavin, Andre Santos, Marouane Chamakh, Sebastian Squillaci, Gervinho, Nicklas Bendtner, Lukas Fabianski, Bacary Sagna, Lukas Podolski, Serge Gnabry, Tomas Rosicky, Abou Diaby, Kieran Gibbs, Gabriel Paulista, Wojciech Szczesny, Francis Coquelin, Oliver Giroud, Santi Cazorla, Jack Wilshere, Lucas Perez, Joel Campbell, Mathieu Debuchy, Jeff Reine-Adelaide (who is currently creating chances for fun for the awful strikers who he plays with in Ligue 1) and soon Aaron Ramsey, Petr Cech and Danny Welbeck for a grand total of £77m.

Look at some of the names on this list and we recouped £77m :doh: :BangHead:

2nd rate with us:
Djourou
Denilson
Bendtner
Fabianski
Paulista
Coquelin
Perez
Gibbs
Szczesney
Gervinho
Reine-Adelaide

3rd rate with us:
Chamakh
Squillaci
Campbell

Injured/injury prone when leaving us
Wilshere
Cazorla
Diaby
Welbeck

Retired/past it when leaving
Rosicky
Podolski
Arshavin
Cech

Should have got more money for
Gnabry
Ramsey

Mate, if Solanke with his 1 Liverpool goal or whatever it was could sell for £19m I don't care how shit our players were, £77m is a fraction of what we should've got for those players.

I can't recall the exact circumstances for all of them, but on paper it would appear we should have got more, yes.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:23 pm

From Saliba interview...

"It is clear that so much has changed in the last year," he told RMC Sport.

"When I saw that the coach changed a lot changed for me too. In this year there has been a lot of change. He [Arteta] judged me on two and a half matches. I would have liked for him to play me more. But he told me I wasn't ready.

"I was waiting for him to give me a chance, but football is like that. When I initially came to Arsenal the league looked very good, so I showed up to training and wanted to train on my own to show the coach I was ready.

"I am happy now. I want to play for Nice. The idea when you're part of a team is a better feeling for me."

Think we can forget him coming back to play for us.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk