William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - OGC Nice)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Zenith wrote:
Where's my thread...?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Where's my thread...?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53107&start=45#p1847657
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zenith » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Zenith wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Where's my thread...?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53107&start=45#p1847657
Come on Mikel, make it happen!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: William iba (on loan - OGC Nice)

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:31 am

I remember once being part of a 20 strong group of friends celebrating an occasion at a restaurant, where instead of getting my rib-eye steak cooked medium rare as ordered, I got it served rare. No biggie, as upon making the waitress aware, less than 5 minutes later I was tucking into a perfectly cooked steak meal. Lovely.

In having viewed a fair few highlights and a couple of games from Ligue 1 involving Nice so as to better scrutinise Saliba than YouTube reels are able to portray, I find myself having changed my stance regarding Arteta's action to send him back to France instead of accommodating him into the squad of his new club.

If you have the inclination to seek out and view any of his matches and highlights from last season and compare them to those from this season, I would be rather surprised if the consensus wasn't that he'd shown signs of improvement by now looking like the real deal and at the very least much better than Holding, possibly Mari too whilst adding another worry line to Luiz as well. And I won't try and add weight (no pun intended) to the argument by suggesting that he even looks more of a physical specimen too, as I'm not sure if that's just down to the more stylish and flattering Nice kit compared to St. Etienne's.

In short, it now appears to me that Arteta also found that his prime cut of French beef was just a little too under cooked for his liking and had it sent back to the kitchen to spend two or three more minutes in the pan to ensure that it was now to his liking, well done.

Ultimately, we won't move beyond speculation, conspiracy and conjecture of the matter until next season when the proof of the pudding will definitely be in its eating and maybe, just maybe, it might be acknowledged that Arteta actually got something right.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: William iba (on loan - OGC Nice)

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:I remember once being part of a 20 strong group of friends celebrating an occasion at a restaurant, where instead of getting my rib-eye steak cooked medium rare as ordered, I got it served rare. No biggie, as upon making the waitress aware, less than 5 minutes later I was tucking into a perfectly cooked steak meal. Lovely.

In having viewed a fair few highlights and a couple of games from Ligue 1 involving Nice so as to better scrutinise Saliba than YouTube reels are able to portray, I find myself having changed my stance regarding Arteta's action to send him back to France instead of accommodating him into the squad of his new club.

If you have the inclination to seek out and view any of his matches and highlights from last season and compare them to those from this season, I would be rather surprised if the consensus wasn't that he'd shown signs of improvement by now looking like the real deal and at the very least much better than Holding, possibly Mari too whilst adding another worry line to Luiz as well. And I won't try and add weight (no pun intended) to the argument by suggesting that he even looks more of a physical specimen too, as I'm not sure if that's just down to the more stylish and flattering Nice kit compared to St. Etienne's.

In short, it now appears to me that Arteta also found that his prime cut of French beef was just a little too under cooked for his liking and had it sent back to the kitchen to spend two or three more minutes in the pan to ensure that it was now to his liking, well done.

Ultimately, we won't move beyond speculation, conspiracy and conjecture of the matter until next season when the proof of the pudding will definitely be in its eating and maybe, just maybe, it might be acknowledged that Arteta actually got something right.

That's one way to look at it and hopefully so. I just wish it could have been handled with more care and the player left feeling a bit more secure about his future at Arsenal and not left wondering why wasn't playing.

It's understandable for a coach to a have meritocracy and everyone having to work for their place but I often feel a successful loan spell can muddy things further. Players get a taste for regular first team football and probably want a guarantee to start games which is something a coach can't often guarantee if there is competition for the spot.

Good to see he's playing well and looks the real deal. Hopefully he's back with us by the summer with no issues. Fair play to Arteta if that happens. We'll just have to wait and see if he can cope at Premier League level.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 pm

He’ll have 2 years left on his contract when he comes back, we’ve wasted 2 years of it and now next year we’ll be in a situation where we either move him on or sign him on a new contract.

As it is he might fancy moving on seeing how he’s been treated. I still think it was a shocking decision to send him out on loan.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zenith » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Özim wrote:He’ll have 2 years left on his contract when he comes back, we’ve wasted 2 years of it and now next year we’ll be in a situation where we either move him on or sign him on a new contract.

As it is he might fancy moving on seeing how he’s been treated. I still think it was a shocking decision to send him out on loan.

We screwed up not sending Saliba out on loan six months earlier than we ended up doing; not two years. A substantial blunder, no doubt, but it's a stretch to suggest we've wasted two years of his contract.

At Arsenal he was never going to play anywhere near as much with as than he did/does with Saint-Étienne and Nice where, when fit, he was/is consistently one of the first names on the team sheet.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:38 pm

The boy looks like a beast. Arteta is a fassy.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:13 pm

Zenith wrote:
Özim wrote:He’ll have 2 years left on his contract when he comes back, we’ve wasted 2 years of it and now next year we’ll be in a situation where we either move him on or sign him on a new contract.

We screwed up not sending Saliba out on loan six months earlier than we ended up doing; not two years. A substantial blunder, no doubt, but it's a stretch to suggest we've wasted two years of his contract.

At Arsenal he was never going to play anywhere near as much with as than he did/does with Saint-Étienne and Nice where, when fit, he was/is consistently one of the first names on the team sheet.

Should have joined straight away and gone into the first team. He could not have been any worse than what we've had.
Would have been much better to get 2 years under his belt in the PL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Paddy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm

this kid better start next season

if i see david luiz in that line up i swear
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Ach » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:52 pm

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:05 pm

We shouldn't be extending Luiz' deal any further, especially if it hinders game time for a £28m signing.

We're particularly weak at defending against crosses; Holding is easily outjumped, and Gabriel sometimes just stands there, doesn't try to get the ball. Saliba would be a big asset there.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:19 pm

If he went out on loan and it failed - Arteta's fault
If he went out on loan and it succeeded - Arteta's fault
If he stayed and it didn't work out - Arteta's fault
If he stayed and it worked out - despite of Arteta.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:26 pm

aniym wrote:We shouldn't be extending Luiz' deal any further, especially if it hinders game time for a £28m signing.

We're particularly weak at defending against crosses; Holding is easily outjumped, and Gabriel sometimes just stands there, doesn't try to get the ball. Saliba would be a big asset there.

You're right, Saliba has shown himself to be quite dominant in ariel challenges to the point of almost looking like he's simply just enjoying himself or following on from his barbed comments re: Arteta, imagining his face on the ball and laying a nut on it Glasgow style.

Luiz's wily, guiding influence shouldn't be belittled or dismissed but yes, the old dog must now give way to the young pups and a last trophy win would be an ideal and fitting way to go out before your dad tells you he's taking him to go live on a farm.

A tad bit harsh on Gabriel though, as I think it's more a case of having misjudged the flight of the ball once or twice than him
inadvertently playing a game of statues.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk