How Do We Win The Premier League Next Season?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: How Do We Win The Premier League Next Season?

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat May 18, 2019 11:19 am

knowledge93 wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm of the opinion that the question being asked has simply been lost amongst all the rehashing of poster's sound bites and dissertations that have been churned out over the last two seasons.

The exercise of staying on topic as opposed to meandering over every issue known to Arsenal appears to have been too difficult to achieve.

A hell of a banal and tedious way to finally arrive at the conclusion that you don't really know the answer to the question being asked. Either that or this site is full of politicians.

What are you on about? People are being realistic. We don't win the premier league next season unless we randomly get a sugar daddy and some of our players all of a sudden become world class.

Well my ability to read tells me that only Elite, Va Va and Dejan gave anything like a definitive answer to the question being asked.

Nothing wrong at all with the simple conclusion that we are incapable of winning the league next season or highlighting the reasons why, regardless of a mansoor or abramovic figure waiting in the shadows.

But the question being asked is rather specific, isn't it?

If the answers refers to x number of transfer window's required, infrastructure needing revision, protocols etc. and subsequently winning the league in 2 or 3 years time, then the question may as well have been how do you bake an apple pie, as the answers would be equally irrelevant.

One post even recognised that they may have gone off topic by stipulating that it did not relate entirely to winning the premier league next season.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 18, 2019 11:43 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm of the opinion that the question being asked has simply been lost amongst all the rehashing of poster's sound bites and dissertations that have been churned out over the last two seasons.

The exercise of staying on topic as opposed to meandering over every issue known to Arsenal appears to have been too difficult to achieve.

A hell of a banal and tedious way to finally arrive at the conclusion that you don't really know the answer to the question being asked. Either that or this site is full of politicians.

What are you on about? People are being realistic. We don't win the premier league next season unless we randomly get a sugar daddy and some of our players all of a sudden become world class.

Well my ability to read tells me that only Elite, Va Va and Dejan gave anything like a definitive answer to the question being asked.

Nothing wrong at all with the simple conclusion that we are incapable of winning the league next season or highlighting the reasons why, regardless of a mansoor or abramovic figure waiting in the shadows.

But the question being asked is rather specific, isn't it?

If the answers refers to x number of transfer window's required, infrastructure needing revision, protocols etc. and subsequently winning the league in 2 or 3 years time, then the question may as well have been how do you bake an apple pie, as the answers would be equally irrelevant.

One post even recognised that they may have gone off topic by stipulating that it did not relate entirely to winning the premier league next season.

I think if you re-read the posts the vast majority have a clear answer to the exact question being asked. You as usual are trying to be clever, notice my use of the word "trying", because you are failing miserably. Stating we cannot win the league is a valid answer as is detailing key steps to achieving the goal, by those that believe it is possible.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Leicester City: Season Prior to Title-Winning Season (2014/15)
*Position – 14th
*Gross Spend - 26.06 million
*Income - 0 million
*Net Spend – 26.06 million
*Wins/Losses/Draws – 11/19/8
*Goals For/Goals Against – 46/55

Leicester City: Title-Winning Season (2015/16)
*Position – 1st
*Gross Spend – 56.89 million
*Income - 10.77 million
*Net Spend – 46.11 million
*Wins/Losses/Draws – 23/3/12
*Goals For/Goals Against – 68/36

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester City: Season Prior to Leicester’s Title-Winning Season (2014/15)
*Position – 2nd
*Gross Spend – 79.47 million
*Net Spend – 51.91 million
*Wins/Losses/Draws – 24/7/7
*Goals For/Goals Against – 83/38

Manchester City: Leicester’s Title-Winning Season (2015/16)
*Position – 4th
*Gross Spend – 187.47 million
*Net Spend – 126.77 million
*Wins/Losses/Draws – 19/10/9
*Goals For/Goals Against – 71/41

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chelsea: Season Prior to Leicester’s Title-Winning Season (2014/15)
*Position – 1st
*Gross Spend – 156.98 million
*Income - 165.13 million
*Net Spend – +8.15 million
*Wins/Losses/Draws – 26/9/3
*Goals For/Goals Against – 73/32

Chelsea: Leicester’s Title-Winning Season (2015/16)
*Position – 10th
*Gross Spend – 103.17 million
*Income - 99.74 million
*Net Spend – 3.43 million
*Wins/Losses/Draws – 12/12/14
*Goals For/Goals Against – 59/53

Arsenal: 2018/19 Season
*Position – 5th
*Gross Spend – 81.5 million
*Income – 6.4 million
*Net Spend – 75.1 million
*Wins/Losses/Draws – 21/10/7
*Goals For/Goals Against – 73/51
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Manoban » Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 pm

We have a worse team than Liverpool and City, and a worse coach than them + Tottenham. Nothing has changed since Wenger, except a less exciting playstyle, with battling for fourth the best we can do.
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby swipe right » Sun May 19, 2019 1:35 am

Spend all the money on Harry Maguire and then this formation.

———-Auba——Laca
————Ozil/Xhaka
Kola—Rabiot—Guendo—AMN
—-Holding—Maguire—Mavra
—————Leno
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby whee » Sun May 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Manoban wrote:Nothing has changed since Wenger, except a less exciting playstyle, with battling for fourth the best we can do.

Disagree. The playing style has been tedious for years, lacking in identity. We saw more than a few occasions this year where Emery's philosophy of playing out from the back and beating the press with sharp, crips passing and attacking at pace, came to fruition; Leicester at home springs immediately to mind, away at Fulham. Chelsea away very, very early on in the season too. With the players he wants, i'd expect to see more of that.

I think up until the last 5 or 6 games of the season, we'd actually looked like we had a little bit more metal about us too. The only real hiding in the first 7 months of the season was at Anfield.

Up until the last few weeks of the season, third place was within our hands, so let's not do ourselves down too much.

Spurs, for all the media fawning and bollock spouting, weren't too far ahead of us in the league and i'd expect us to avoid giving them a 10-11 point lead next season.

To me this year I think we've given a few too many points away too easily, particularly this last two months. It was quite clear the Europa League became a priority, which I don't disagree with - i'd much rather win actual silverware than finish 4th, particularly if the prize is the same. If we get in somebody that can compliment Sokratis, to replace Koscielny, then I think the foundations are there to be built upon. We've got to sort out that back line and the protection in front of it before we start addressing the creativity issues.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Sun May 19, 2019 10:17 pm

whee wrote:
Manoban wrote:Nothing has changed since Wenger, except a less exciting playstyle, with battling for fourth the best we can do.

Disagree. The playing style has been tedious for years, lacking in identity. We saw more than a few occasions this year where Emery's philosophy of playing out from the back and beating the press with sharp, crips passing and attacking at pace, came to fruition; Leicester at home springs immediately to mind, away at Fulham. Chelsea away very, very early on in the season too. With the players he wants, i'd expect to see more of that.

I think up until the last 5 or 6 games of the season, we'd actually looked like we had a little bit more metal about us too. The only real hiding in the first 7 months of the season was at Anfield.

Up until the last few weeks of the season, third place was within our hands, so let's not do ourselves down too much.

Spurs, for all the media fawning and bollock spouting, weren't too far ahead of us in the league and i'd expect us to avoid giving them a 10-11 point lead next season.

To me this year I think we've given a few too many points away too easily, particularly this last two months. It was quite clear the Europa League became a priority, which I don't disagree with - i'd much rather win actual silverware than finish 4th, particularly if the prize is the same. If we get in somebody that can compliment Sokratis, to replace Koscielny, then I think the foundations are there to be built upon. We've got to sort out that back line and the protection in front of it before we start addressing the creativity issues.

Hear hear
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Zedie » Sun May 19, 2019 10:56 pm

starmandb wrote:
whee wrote:

Hear hear

X2
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon May 20, 2019 2:01 am

I am struggling to find positives from Emery’s first season. My concern is not the league ranking or whatever happens in the EL finals. It’s that he doesn’t seem to have got a handle on the league in England. His decision making is very mid table. He tries to defend his way out away and even against smaller teams and that’s never going to work in England. What City and Liverpool have shown us is that attack is the best defense. Of course they have invested in top keepers and defenders which we don’t have yet but philosophically they are more attacking. That’s what I want to see from Emery. He has the attacking force. Hope he uses the summer on buying a few top defenders and then unleashes our attack. But that doesn’t seem to be his style.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 20, 2019 6:16 am

whee wrote:

But even under Wenger there would always be a selection of games where we'd put in a solid a team performance and his philosophy would shine through. There would be plenty of games where it would look tedious and lacking an identity but there would be games where it would work. The Chelsea games were examples. Whether that be pressing with a high line and keeping our components in their own half, trying to create overlaps, using Giroud as our target man...even the Utd game where Theo was played as striker and we tore them up on the counter. But we lacked the consistency, the energy and when things went stale if would often take individual brilliance to bail us out because there was no plan B.

I don't think a lot has changed since Wenger at all. In fact, I think we've lost our identity as an attacking team and we're still relying on individual brilliance to bail us out of trouble. Aubameyang and Lacazette. Under Wenger it was mainly Sanchez and maybe Walcott and Giroud.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon May 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Zedie wrote:
starmandb wrote:
whee wrote:

Hear hear

X2

X3
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 pm

This'd compete. Just need a LB and a back up CF:

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 pm

^ rather move ziyech to 10(he is better there), get another winger

Ozil is done here

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Dejan wrote:^ rather move ziyech to 10(he is better there), get another winger

Ozil is done here

That’s where I want him to be played as well if we get him. I’d prefer a different type of player for the wings
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby LMAO » Fri May 31, 2019 6:36 am

Dejan wrote:^ rather move ziyech to 10(he is better there), get another winger

Ozil is done here

Would be the dream. At this point, I'd put Iwobi in the middle over Ozil.

I was wrong to slate Emery for benching Ozil. He just doesn't have it anymore.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk