How Do We Win The Premier League Next Season?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: How Do We Win The Premier League Next Season?

Postby Zedie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:04 pm

Ok so we have 40m to spend, but we also have opportunity to take a massive stress off our wage bill and make some change along the way. I've got no clue on wages for most of these, so I'm guessing:

Jenks- free - 50k pw AMN replaces + academy promotion?
Ramsey free - 150k pw replacement needed
Koscielny - free - 100k pw replacement needed
Cech - free - 100k pw replacement needed
Welbeck - free - 100k pw Nelson as replacement?

Mustafi - 20m - 70k pw Holding to replace
Ozil - 40m - 350k pw replacement needed
Mkhi 15m - 250k pw - replacement needed
Monreal - 10m - 80k pw - replacement needed
Iwobi - 30-40m (home grown, young, decent contract)
Xhaka - 40m - 100k pw probs wont leave but still

Players we could potentially promote for petance

Smith Rowe (not ready imo)
Nelson - more games potentially
Willock - more games potentially

Selling

Mustafi
Ozil
Mkhi
Monreal
Iwobi

Could net us roughly 100-120m on top of the 40m which wouldn't be too bad, only problem is we've got too many holes to fill to get to a serious place for contention.

Still, surgery will need to go deep sometime because the squad is poverty in places.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:02 am

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:The solutions cost us money, and it's quite apparent we don't have a lot of money (unless Kroenke does something spectacular and pulls out his cheque book). Is it realistic to expect that we'll amass a side capable of winning the league by spending just £45m?

What you lack in funds you make up for with smart strategies and tactics. And again this is why I’m questioning whether Emery should get a second season.

Broken record time but fixing our defensive displays will go some way toward the goal. Sell underperforming players and bring in younger hungrier players, we don't need to spend fortunes.

See where that takes us. We need experienced players in some capacity so perhaps some young players with Premier League experience? We need leaders too.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:17 am

The problem is that the going rate for an above average Premier League player is at least £15m to which we can add a 'big club bonus' of £5m. Considering how inflated the market is at the moment, these estimates are likely far too low. We will have to look overseas, which both lowers the potential cost and increases the risk of signing a flop.

The players we're going to sell will need replacing. The wage demands of the incoming players will be heavily influenced by the wages of their predecessors. But our ojective is to cut costs, not to replace them. Therefore, we'll have to sign cheaper players, which adds to the risk of them being flops. The constraints of our budget may mean we'll end up downgrading rather than upgrading.

Loaning players isn't an alternative, I'm afraid. A club with any sense won't let us loan their best players without either strapping a big loan fee on top or making us pay the wages, removing the cost effectiveness of loaning players. Therefore, the only 'cheap' loan deals we can land are outcasts from bigger clubs à la Denis Suarez.

Of course, there's a chance the club can work miracles with £45m. However, if miracles are what we need, I don't think scepticism is unwarranted.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Rockape » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:48 am

I suppose it’s possible, but only because we saw Leicester do it. But with Citeh and LFC in such strong positions, our target can realistically only be third.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:43 am

Zedie wrote:Ok so we have 40m to spend, but we also have opportunity to take a massive stress off our wage bill and make some change along the way. I've got no clue on wages for most of these, so I'm guessing:

Selling

Mustafi
Ozil
Mkhi
Monreal
Iwobi

Could net us roughly 100-120m on top of the 40m which wouldn't be too bad, only problem is we've got too many holes to fill to get to a serious place for contention.

Still, surgery will need to go deep sometime because the squad is poverty in places.

Jenks- free - 50k pw AMN replaces + academy promotion? --- AMN, Kiko Femenia, Lowton, Kenny, Osei-Tutu, Amartey
Ramsey free - 150k pw replacement needed --- Mooy, JWP, Doucoure, Cairney, Camarasa, Lemina
Koscielny - free - 100k pw replacement needed --- Schar, Tarkowski, Hoedt, Lejeune, Dunk, Bednarek
Cech - free - 100k pw replacement needed --- Martinez, Macey, Travers, Illiev, Heaton, Gunn
Welbeck - free - 100k pw Nelson as replacement? --- Greenwood, Solanke, Jimenez, Ayoze, Nketiah, Jules/Amaechi
Mustafi - 20m - 70k pw Holding to replace --- Holding, Lascelles, Mee, Ake, Diop, Fosu-Mensah
Ozil - 40m - 350k pw replacement needed --- Jota, Maddison, Fraser, H. Barnes, Brooks, Willock
Mkhi 15m - 250k pw - replacement needed --- Adama Traore, Antonio, Diangana, H. Costa, Sema, Townsend
Monreal - 10m - 80k pw - replacement needed --- Jonny, Van Aanholt, Bryan, Bernardo, Masuaku, Charlie Taylor
Iwobi - 30-40m (home grown, young, decent contract) --- Lookman, Nelson, Sessegnon, Redmond, ESR, Saka
Xhaka - 40m - 100k pw probs wont leave but still --- Ndidi, Choudhoury, Lerma, Gueye, Rice, Sheaf/Gilmour/Bielik

Only go for the one that makes the best sense financially (i.e. choose the better of buying, loaning, or promoting from within given the club's budget and long-term strategies) and keep in mind these are just a few players from the PL.

When you consider how many other leagues there are in the world then finding decent replacements at a reasonable cost should be achievable. And yes these players may not be top quality but they can do a job.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Zedie wrote:Ok so we have 40m to spend, but we also have opportunity to take a massive stress off our wage bill and make some change along the way. I've got no clue on wages for most of these, so I'm guessing:

Selling

Mustafi
Ozil
Mkhi
Monreal
Iwobi

Jenks- free - 50k pw AMN replaces + academy promotion? --- AMN, Kiko Femenia, Lowton, Kenny, Osei-Tutu, Amartey
Ramsey free - 150k pw replacement needed --- Mooy, JWP, Doucoure, Cairney, Camarasa, Lemina
Koscielny - free - 100k pw replacement needed --- Schar, Tarkowski, Hoedt, Lejeune, Dunk, Bednarek
Cech - free - 100k pw replacement needed --- Martinez, Macey, Travers, Illiev, Heaton, Gunn
Welbeck - free - 100k pw Nelson as replacement? --- Greenwood, Solanke, Jimenez, Ayoze, Nketiah, Jules/Amaechi
Mustafi - 20m - 70k pw Holding to replace --- Holding, Lascelles, Mee, Ake, Diop, Fosu-Mensah
Ozil - 40m - 350k pw replacement needed --- Jota, Maddison, Fraser, H. Barnes, Brooks, Willock
Mkhi 15m - 250k pw - replacement needed --- Adama Traore, Antonio, Diangana, H. Costa, Sema, Townsend
Monreal - 10m - 80k pw - replacement needed --- Jonny, Van Aanholt, Bryan, Bernardo, Masuaku, Charlie Taylor
Iwobi - 30-40m (home grown, young, decent contract) --- Lookman, Nelson, Sessegnon, Redmond, ESR, Saka
Xhaka - 40m - 100k pw probs wont leave but still --- Ndidi, Choudhoury, Lerma, Gueye, Rice, Sheaf/Gilmour/Bielik

Only go for the one that makes the best sense financially (i.e. choose the better of buying, loaning, or promoting from within given the club's budget and long-term strategies) and keep in mind these are just a few players from the PL.

When you consider how many other leagues there are in the world then finding decent replacements at a reasonable cost should be achievable. And yes these players may not be top quality but they can do a job.

That will cost us well above £45m. That's the problem I've been trying to bring up.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:27 pm

PairyGrows wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Selling

Mustafi
Ozil
Mkhi
Monreal
Iwobi

That will cost us well above £45m. That's the problem I've been trying to bring up.

That's why I pointed out that we should only go for the ones that make the most sense financially. Promoting from within, for example, costs us near nothing and we have a few players in the academy that would be a bonus to the squad. I also noted that loaning players should be an option which usually doesn't involve a lot of money. Buying players on an installment plan is another option I didn't mention. When you factor all this plus whatever we make from selling players, then we should be able to put together a decent team that can surpass expectations.

Plus, my list was a rushed job and only included players from the PL which is an inflated market. If my job was to scout players, I would be able to come up with a better list that includes players from other leagues.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:57 pm

I hate to beat a dead horse, but what makes financial sense with a £45m budget in an inflated market is either two mid-tier Premier League players and promoting a lot of youth, or lots of unproven signings from smaller European and South American sides.

Neither scenario, in my opinion, puts us close to a place where we can realistically compete for the title.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm

PairyGrows wrote:I hate to beat a dead horse, but what makes financial sense with a £45m budget in an inflated market is either two mid-tier Premier League players and promoting a lot of youth, or lots of unproven signings from smaller European and South American sides.

Neither scenario, in my opinion, puts us close to a place where we can realistically compete for the title.

Doing nothing puts us close to a place where we can realistically compete for the title. At least the two scenarios you mentioned if not anything else improves our chances which is the main point. We went a whole season with 1 actual winger but just having another body who can beat a man would have been welcomed. Leicester bought Kante and Mahrez, arguably the two most important players in their title winning season, for less than 10 million each so finding good players on a 45 million budget is possible albeit challenging. You just need good scouts which I hope we still have after letting Mislintat go
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Sims » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Selling Iwobi would be ridiculous
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Sims wrote:Selling Iwobi would be ridiculous

Yeah I’m not for selling him in general. I was just providing options to Zedie’s post which had Iwobi in it.

I would only sell Iwobi if a big offer comes in
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:55 pm

Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree. In the end, it doesn't seem to me we can nurture a winning mentality when all we have is £45m to spend in the summer.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:07 pm

PairyGrows wrote:Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree. In the end, it doesn't seem to me we can nurture a winning mentality when all we have is £45m to spend in the summer.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32727&start=30#p1719262

It’s possible. Better to try than not try at all
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 am

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Yeah I’m not for selling him in general. I was just providing options to Zedie’s post which had Iwobi in it.

I would only sell Iwobi if a big offer comes in

That list is potential sales to reinvest. Sell iwobi for 40m buy in another winger similar age or younger and hope his output is better than whatever iwobi will achieve in his career.

Sticking with these players and adding 2 prospects isn't going to get us far when these players are still in rotation and costing us goals, cleansheets points etc.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am

Lol hes pretty wank

Time to sell

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk