Liverpool does something critical that we don't

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Liverpool does something critical that we don't

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Takes major faith from the Board to trust a manager with that sort of money for a CB and keeper. Takes major faith for a manager to stake his reputation on those players for that sort of money. Klopp knew those were the missing pieces to what needed and was willing to spend a ridiculous amount on them. These weren't obvious World Class players either because they hadn't won major silverware before with bigger clubs.

There's little difference between £70m on two players or £70m on one player.

Our problem has always been Wenger's reluctance to spend big on single players. He looked at £60-70m price tags and thought he could get two players for that money.

That's the problem when you have a manager who also has a role related to the club's finances. It's a conflict of interest. The manager should be focusing completely on the footballing side of the club, and winning trophies. He should be identifying the players he wants and knocking on the CEO's door and asking for the money. Not looking at the ledgers and deciding for himself that it's not appropriate.

That has been our major problem. It's not his fault either. The CEO should be telling the manager to butt out of the financial affairs of the club.

Always felt that way about Wenger as well. Sometimes it felt like he was being overly protective of the club but I also thought it was self preservation. I remember he said in an interview something about managers being more at risk of being fired when they lose the club money on transfers. Common sense in reality but I also felt he was putting his own and Boards interest before the fans and that's why we are where we are now. The divide between the fans will last long after Wenger.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm

In an alternate timeline Wenger left in 2015 and Klopp came to Arsenal and that was us last night
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Takes major faith from the Board to trust a manager with that sort of money for a CB and keeper. Takes major faith for a manager to stake his reputation on those players for that sort of money. Klopp knew those were the missing pieces to what needed and was willing to spend a ridiculous amount on them. These weren't obvious World Class players either because they hadn't won major silverware before with bigger clubs.

There's little difference between £70m on two players or £70m on one player.

Our problem has always been Wenger's reluctance to spend big on single players. He looked at £60-70m price tags and thought he could get two players for that money.

That's the problem when you have a manager who also has a role related to the club's finances. It's a conflict of interest. The manager should be focusing completely on the footballing side of the club, and winning trophies. He should be identifying the players he wants and knocking on the CEO's door and asking for the money. Not looking at the ledgers and deciding for himself that it's not appropriate.

That has been our major problem. It's not his fault either. The CEO should be telling the manager to butt out of the financial affairs of the club.

Always felt that way about Wenger as well. Sometimes it felt like he was being overly protective of the club but I also thought it was self preservation. I remember he said in an interview something about managers being more at risk of being fired when they lose the club money on transfers. Common sense in reality but I also felt he was putting his own and Boards interest before the fans and that's why we are where we are now. The divide between the fans will last long after Wenger.

He became obsessed with the club’s finances and paying off the debt. I think it was of equal importance to him as the football.

Of course he wanted football success, but not at the expense of paying off the debt as soon as possible.

Conflict of interest, but Kroenke’s dream manager. Until he failed to get CL of course, and the atmosphere became too toxic to sustain.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 pm

We buy guys from abroad because their cheaper.

An English player same talent is worth more than his equivalent abroad in £££ if nothing else.

I do agree though and said this after Brighton, we're buying pricey CB's like Mustafi when a League 1 top CB is better than him.

We should get more of a gritty English core in the team or at least add enough in to bring some local heart and fight to the club.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Thu May 09, 2019 5:01 am

Zedie wrote:
LMAO wrote:Also @ Zedie:
You keep erroneously saying that those who don't want Emery as Arsenal head coach would've wanted Klopp out after one season because he finished 8th. Don't you also frequently bring up the notion of context? So let's have a little look at it. Klopp was hired on October 8. Eight games had already been played. Without a preseason with the players and a summer to bring in some of his players, here's the table that season starting from when Klopp was hired:
1. Leicester - 66 pts (+30 GD)
2. Tottenham - 57 pts (+30 GD)
3. Arsenal - 55 pts (+23 GD)
4. Southampton - 51 pts (+15 GD)
5. Man Utd - 50 pts (+10 GD)
6. Man City - 48 pts (+18 GD)
7. Liverpool - 48 pts (+15 GD)
8. West Ham - 48 pts (+8 GD)

Again, this was without a preseason with the players and a summer to bring in some of his players. I'm going to assume from this that if Klopp was at Liverpool from June, he would've had them finish in a CL spot.

So once again, no, I wouldn't have wanted him out because he worked magic with that shit squad, and you could see his ideas already being implemented even though he didn't really have the players to do what he wanted.

But you want Emery out because his ideas cant be seen and he has the players to do what he wants?

Mate.

Any reason anyone could give about keeping klopp in his first season can be said about Emery right now. He managed to drop a further position than where he started from. The same People 100% would be calling for his head.

"He nearly got Dortmund relegated, hes lost it, he cant do it anymore at the top table, we should have got arteta because he managed one game with pep in the stands and won".

People have the benefit of seeing klopps success at first hand after 4 years of winning f**k all and massive amounts of money and are so short sighted that they are comparing liverpool to emery and arsenal right now in this moment.

Emery has taken over from someone that has been here for 20 years, has their philosophy ingrained into the club, had the whole hierarchy change above and around him, had limited funds to plug some first team gaps.

I'm saying even with some of our players not being Emery's type, I still can't see what he's trying to accomplish, even after almost a full season.

Look at 2015-16 Liverpool:
4-2-3-1 PL
Mignolet
Clyne - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno
Henderson - Can
Ibe - Firmino - Coutinho
Benteke

4-3-3 PL
Mignolet
Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
Henderson - Leiva - Can
Ibe - Benteke - Coutinho

EL Final (against Emery's Sevilla coincidentally)
Mignolet
Clyne - Lovren - Toure - Moreno
Milner - Can
Lallana - Firmino - Coutinho
Sturridge

-Mignolet lol would rather have Fabianski tbh
-Clyne and Moreno are shit FBs who can't cross, but Klopp tried to make it work.
-Would genuinely rather have Mustafi than those CBs.
-Leiva and Can lol no comment
-Ibe was their Iwobi.
-Coutinho, while brilliant at Liverpool, isn't Klopp's idea of a prototypical speedy winger. Lallana is decent but not the quality needed for a top team.
-Benteke makes Auba look like he has Messi-tier tekkers. Sturridge is a permacrock.

Even though Klopp didn't have his preferred profile of players, you could still see Liverpool try to gegenpress for the entire game and launch insanely fast (counter)attacks - in other words, Klopp's philosophy.

How did Klopp drop Liverpool from where they were when he got there? They were 10th when he took over.

"He nearly got Dortmund relegated, hes lost it, he cant do it anymore at the top table, we should have got arteta because he managed one game with pep in the stands and won".

tbf I wanted Jardim most last season iirc, and I'd still love him here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This should probably be in the Emery thread, but whatever.)
Anyway, I know I've been hella harsh on Emery, but I've also said that I don't doubt his ability to take us back into the top four. What I do doubt from what I've seen is his ability to bring us a PL or a CL.

In the days when you were still WKB, I said that I know there will be a rebuilding process when Wenger eventually goes and that I'm willing to accept a rebuilding phase. What I'm not willing to accept is cowardice. Emery needs to stop being a pussy in away games and employ more adventurous tactics. Huddersfield is the perfect example of what I mean. Even with a lot of our players not having the quality required for a top team, we should never get outplayed by the worst team in the league since 2007-08 Derby (yes we won, but that's not my point).

I know he'll get another season, and I'd love, love, love for him to prove me wrong.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 am

Yep, win games lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 09, 2019 6:17 am

FARM wrote:I agree with you that we need to but more players that play in the premiership. We rarely do.

There are some gems that we don't need to go abroad for and take a gamble, there are some very special gems waiting for us in Leicester, Wolves, Bournemouth, Watford and Brighton. We need to open our eyes and see it and stop looking abroad.

Wenger's downfall was his obsession with all technical players, we lost all of our leaders. I would've been happy with us going to the Championship to pluck out a hard no-no sense defender to put some steel back into the defence. We needed a combative CM but instead we had technical wonders. I mean, he went for a past it creative midfielder in Arteta to be our DM ffs, then went for the slowest clumsiest player in Song who was a defender - and tried to convert him.

Terrible decision making by Wenger, we have suffered because of his dumbass transfers and dumbass transfer policies!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am

CynicalGooner wrote:In an alternate timeline Wenger left in 2015 and Klopp came to Arsenal and that was us last night

In this alternate timeline Klopp would have to wait 3 years between each of the Firmino, Mane and Salah purchases and be laughed out of the office for asking for £75m to buy a Southampton defender.

But I believe he could have improved players like xhaka and given Iwobi more confidence and self-belief.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk