North London Powershift

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: North London Powershift

Postby Dejan » Sat May 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Yes ofcourse

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat May 11, 2019 8:35 pm

PairyGrows wrote:The reason I don't want Spurs to win the Champions League is because I don't think I can take them lot singing "champions of Europe, you'll never sign that" at every opportunity to us. They would be doing it all the time, and they would be right.

Why would they
Did it look like Spurs would be in a champions league final 4 years ago?
Going out the Europa league in the last 32 to fiorentina
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Sims wrote:100% take us losing the EL if it guaranteed Spurs not winning the CL

Possible slight improvement for us isn’t worth the years of torture endured if Spurs f***ing do it

I was as pig sick on Wednesday with Spurs reaching the champions league final as I was when man Utd won the treble in 99
However
I am prepared to face anything any other football fan says anytime about anything because I am proud of being an arsenal fan always
starmandb

Postby elkanofan » Sat May 11, 2019 9:00 pm

How do you think Barcelona felt watching Madrid win something like 8 champions League before they won 1

Or Manchester City watching United win th treble while thy where heading for League 1?

We are Arsenal, we are and historically big club. For years we have had a local rival who have been pathetic, much like City where pathetic compared to United. But thats the whole point of sport, the whole point about being a big fish is that everyone wants to get to where you are, Spurs improvement has come from years being in our shadow and trying to do what we have.

All we can do is improve and reestablish ourselves as a Superpower like we should be and we will have a serious local rival to beat, they aren't going back to being that pathetic laughing stock anytime soon.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby goonerj08 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:43 am

Cannot wait for Liverpool to smash these bastards.

YNWA.
goonerj08
Patrick Vieira

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 9:39 am

PairyGrows wrote:Serious question: do you think we'll ever win the Champions League?

Unless we fluke it like Chelsea did in 11/12, or we undergo some Phoenix level of rebirth, I can't see us winning the UCL in the next decade or so.

However, the signs are there that it will be more open that it has been in the past decade or so. Barca are nothing without Messi. Real won't have Ronaldo scoring those crucial goals or referees bailing them out—now with the introduction of VAR. Real Madrid would still be favorites because of their stature and spending power, but I can see it being a lot more open than it has been since Messi/Ronaldo started winning it.

Then again, will the UCL in its modern format even exist in upcoming years? It takes one Ajax win or a Leicester for Real/Barca/Bayern and UEFA to re-structure the UCL to suit the big boys again. PSG are obsessed with it and with potential back-to-back league titles now, Man City would want that trophy.

We can win it. Under Kroenke, we'd need to see an incredible level of domino effect for it to happen in the near future.

As Pep said, the entire club should want a UCL. An entire structure must be placed for it to happen. Yes, Pep has failed in the UCL for much of this decade. That, however, doesn't negate his remarks. Remember; Abramovich, too, was obsessed with the UCL at one point.

As long as that hunger isn't there, no club can win the UCL. We have the odds stacked against us.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Sun May 12, 2019 11:48 am

I’ve accepted that I’ll never see England win anything in my lifetime and accepted we’ll never win the CL in my lifetime

I think it’ll be at least 20/30 years until we win a league tbh
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby theHotHead » Sun May 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Jedi wrote:Both win their finals or both lose their finals.

Pick one.

Genuinely think I'd rather go with the 2nd option.

Without question
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun May 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Sims wrote:100% take us losing the EL if it guaranteed Spurs not winning the CL

Possible slight improvement for us isn’t worth the years of torture endured if Spurs f***ing do it

Being born and raised in North London and having a shit load of Spurs mates I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt I would prefer neither win than Spurs win the CL before us. Its not even close.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Sims wrote:I’ve accepted that I’ll never see England win anything in my lifetime and accepted we’ll never win the CL in my lifetime

I think it’ll be at least 20/30 years until we win a league tbh

You can't relate winning a 4-yearly competition with a yearly competition. Winning a World Cup is a different ball game altogether. No country has ever fluked a World Cup. In a yearly competition, you can do that. And, it has been done before.

We can win the UCL with proper infrastructure in place. Whether that infrastructure will take shape, or it won't, is another thing. We don't have footballing minds at Arsenal. And, that's where we're lagging behind. We're the most inept club as far as footballing administration goes. Well, second. No, third. Third to Man United and Barcelona out of all big clubs. But with Man U and Barca, they have intent (and Messi in Barca's case). We don't have that either.

As far as 20-30 years before winning the League? After the Invincibles, if someone had told us that Liverpool would win the UCL and be in the UCL final three times; City would hit the century mark and win the League 4 times; Chelsea would win the UCL, whilst winning the League 5 times; Leicester City would win the League; and Spurs would be in a UCL Final—before Arsenal would get anywhere near the title, what would we have done?

Exactly. The future is uncertain.

I understand the essence of your post. It's not that we can't. We won't because we have the worst possible setup out of all big clubs in the world. But it's not that we can't. We're simply doomed.

So, I guess, it makes sense. But in a different kind of way.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PairyGrows » Mon May 13, 2019 9:05 pm

The consensus seems to be that without radical change for the better, we're not going to lift the Champions League trophy in a very long time.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zedie » Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 pm

I think it's all bollocks given that we are weeks away from watching spurs v liverpool in a CL final.

Who could have foreseen this 4 or 5 years ago let alone at the start of this season or even in the quarters?

Anything can happen. All we really need is to make the right acquisitions and put them in a coherent system that complements each player for their role.

How many of you knew who:

Son
delle alli
TAA
Gomez
Sterling

Were when they signed for their clubs?

Who thought:

Firmino
Alderweirld
Kompany
Wijnaldum
Kante
Mahrez

Etc

Would become sought after players on the world stage?

Look at who you've been watching over the last 10-20 years at your own club:

Anelka
Ljungberg
Szczesny
Bellerin
Cole
Vieira
Petit
Henry
Lauren
Pires

To name a few. None of them had a huge profile before moving, most of them came for petance relative to when they were bought. Everyone was scrambling for info when we signed them.

Things change, pubbers playing left back at wolves become top assist makers, trialists from some back water of Africa become invincible defenders, skinny wingers become God tier strikers, 24 year old likely lads from hackney marshes become record breakers.

We have to hope that the players we bring in step up around the players that remain at the club this summer and next.

That we spend wisely with the money we have and not out of mustafis transfer style desperation to save 200k etc.

Things turn in an instant in this game.

Chins up ffs
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 am

I agree football at the top level is all about smart recruitment. However, I don't feel confident we can pull off those smart signings considering we've failed at that in the last decade or so. Furthermore, we need to spend money to sign players, and right now we don't have money to spend.

While it's true that anything is possible, that doesn't mean we should expect anything to happen. Given the club's poor track record, our scepticism is more than justified.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Dele Alli is shit!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:17 pm

I think efficient player development is more potent than heavy recruitment.
L'pool, and Spuds ( mention with a heavy heart) have done a better job than us.
Hope our academy comes up w/some winners soon.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk