North London Powershift

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: North London Powershift

Postby jayramfootball » Tue May 21, 2019 3:23 pm

UFGN wrote:Leicester

Indeed. They bought Mahrez for £650k. Kante for something like £6m.
There are plenty of examples of money sepnt wisely to build a great team without the need for hundreds of millions.
The Ajax team - another great example.
Spurs this year.

CL money simply isn't a make or break deal. If it was Liverpool would have never got back in, Spurs would have never broken into it.
People just get way to caught up on money.
It's somewhat ironic that these people could accuse others of a lack of ambition or not caring about the club if we don;t see the need for CL money, when their own argument about the importance of money as the be all and end all places us always in the shadow of City and Utd. Funny that... I seem to recall a good 7-yr run when were better than Utd - with far less money.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 21, 2019 3:41 pm

I don't think people are saying it's make or break, but that it will just make success a whole lot easier. Spurs still haven't won anything, and neither has Pool. So yes, money isn't exactly needed, you can still get lucky from time to time, but without a bunch of it that's all you'll be hoping for every season, is luck. Every penny helps, just facts!! Not to mention, just the lure of having CL football can help sign better players.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue May 21, 2019 3:47 pm

StLGooner wrote:I don't think people are saying it's make or break, but that it will just make success a whole lot easier. Spurs still haven't won anything, and neither has Pool. So yes, money isn't exactly needed, you can still get lucky from time to time, but without a bunch of it that's all you'll be hoping for every season, is luck. Every penny helps, just facts!! Not to mention, just the lure of having CL football can help sign better players.

All of this is true but where I draw the line is when lack of CL is paraded as an excuse for lack of silverwear

Need I remind anyone that we have only three PL titles despite all the CL seasons we took part in to date.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Here's a thought .... maybe just coincidence as after all according to some on here money apparently doesn't matter:

EPL winners Man City - Richest club in the EPL - Man City (f**k Utd, City are backed by a whole bloody country)
La Ligue winners PSG - Richest club in France - PSG
Serie A winners Juventus - Richest club in Italy - Juventus
La Liga winners Barcelona - Richest club in Spain - Barcelona
Bundesliga winners Bayern Munich - Richest club in Germany - Bayern Munich

See the pattern? What do these teams have in common? CL money every year since grandma was a baby ..... now let me think about that

But, but, but, but what about Leicester? ..... so we're Leicester now are we?

We may never again be the richest club in England, but we should at least bloody well try and compete ... defeatism just doesn't sit well ....
Last edited by EliteKiller on Tue May 21, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I don't think people are saying it's make or break, but that it will just make success a whole lot easier. Spurs still haven't won anything, and neither has Pool. So yes, money isn't exactly needed, you can still get lucky from time to time, but without a bunch of it that's all you'll be hoping for every season, is luck. Every penny helps, just facts!! Not to mention, just the lure of having CL football can help sign better players.

All of this is true but where I draw the line is when lack of CL is paraded as an excuse for lack of silverwear

Need I remind anyone that we have only three PL titles despite all the CL seasons we took part in to date.

If we had a sugar daddy like City I wouldn't worry so much about it either, but we don't, so we need all the help we can get.

I think our lack of silverware is due to the changing landscape of football in general. In order to be successful (consistently) without a sugar daddy in football today, your club has to be exceptionally frugal, your scouts have to be finding gems on the regular, and your youth department and personnel must be top notch. So the club would have to be run from top to bottom almost flawlessly imo. We all know Leicester was a one off, and Spurs did very well with their squad. But unless they start getting heavy financial investments I doubt they'll be able to replicate that on a regular basis if at all.

Again, every penny counts. Not just for players, but for salaries, for coaches, even for paying for the fancy stapler and copy machine for the secretaries up in the office.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Here's a thought .... maybe just coincidence as after all according to some on here money apparently doesn't matter:

EPL winners Man City - Richest club in the EPL - Man City (f**k Utd, City are backed by a whole bloody country)

See the pattern? What do these teams have in common? CL money every year since grandma was a baby ..... now let me think about that

We may never again be the richest club in England, but we should at least bloody well try and compete ... defeatism just doesn't sit well ....

No one said money didn't matter.
However an extra £20m on top of a turnover of £400m is not a game changer - hence CL is not a game changer financially for the big clubs making hundreds of millions a year.

As for defeatism that is you, my friend. An extra £20m is so important to you, you can;t possibly believe we will ever compete with City. They have billions. We can't compete. Give up, right? Because only money matters. That's your position it seems.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 21, 2019 4:28 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Here's a thought .... maybe just coincidence as after all according to some on here money apparently doesn't matter:

However an extra £20m on top of a turnover of £400m is not a game changer - hence CL is not a game changer financially for the big clubs making hundreds of millions a year.

As for defeatism that is you, my friend. An extra £20m is so important to you, you can;t possibly believe we will ever compete with City. They have billions. We can't compete. Give up, right? Because only money matters. That's your position it seems.

But you'd still rather have that extra 20 than not though right? Of course you would. 20 mil could get you an extra player or be used for an exceptional players salary which could be a game changer, assuming your numbers are even right, cause I don't care enough to check. I'd still rather have the extra 20, and anyone that says otherwise is probably lying to themselves.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Tue May 21, 2019 4:59 pm

You what now? Forget about a small, upstart club called Real Madrid?
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm

UFGN wrote:

Nobody is saying that either.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby whee » Tue May 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Can we not just all agree that the Champions League is worth more, financially than the Europa League; which is not to say that we shouldn't go all out to win the Europa on the occasions we compete for it. It is a European trophy after all.

Can we also agree that on occasions, clubs have done well to compete and challenge for trophies on f**k all of a budget (relatively speaking) such as Leicester and indeed Spurs over the last couple of seasons.

The extra cash would come in useful, but it's not to say that with sensible management and players that didn't have shit for brains, we couldn't compete for the cups on a regular basis.

Liverpool were in (again, relative...) the wilderness for about 5 or 6 seasons as they rebuilt. They built strong foundations to get a foothold and then steadily improved on the areas they could by investing substantial sums.

Until we actually start selling players properly and getting a decent return on investment, we aren't going to see us spending more than £50-55m on a player.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby whee » Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 pm

*It also remains to be seen whether Tottenham's 'model' is sustainable over the next few seasons. Personally, without investment, I think that squad is going to look very fuckin tired in 6 months time.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:08 pm

This

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 pm

LMAO wrote:

You what now? Forget about a small, upstart club called Real Madrid?

Atleti's little rivals no match for Catalonia's Barcelona Messi F.C.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 pm

StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

But you'd still rather have that extra 20 than not though right? Of course you would. 20 mil could get you an extra player or be used for an exceptional players salary which could be a game changer, assuming your numbers are even right, cause I don't care enough to check. I'd still rather have the extra 20, and anyone that says otherwise is probably lying to themselves.

Sure I'd rather the club had the extra 20million, but it's not going to be important in terms of whether we progress as a club. It's peanuts in the scheme of things. To work our way back to the top doesn't require CL next season. I understand people who would rather we focus on the league and are not concerned about being in the CL. It's a competition we can't win, at least yet.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Wed May 22, 2019 12:23 am

Think we're reaching agreement - playing in the CL makes us more money (even if we do blow out in the last sixteen) - whilst that might not be game changing money, somewhere between 20m and 80m on a total income of 400m, it's still enough to pay the wages of one/two world class player - that could be game changing. Also let's not pretend otherwise being in the CL is prestigious, for marketing and commercial reasons, but also for fans not having to suffer the embarrassment of "Thursday night football" ... that matters

We should do everything we can to stay at the top table ... we're The Arsenal for feck's sake ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk