Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby Tony Adams » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:15 am

Angelito wrote:
swipe right wrote:I think we overrate Martinelli. He’s got 3 goals in 19 premier league games over 865 minutes. Yes he’s a talent but I don’t think Pep and Klopp are eyeing him enviously.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/gabriel-m ... saison=ges


I'd like to see him under Bielsa. It would be life-changing for him.

He just needs to get out of here asap.


Nope
User avatar
Tony Adams
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 37778
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:38 am

I am not for one moment suggesting that Martinelli is the dogs gonads right now, just that along with a naturally high technical ability, he also possesses all the attributes of the type of striker Guardiola clearly likes to operate with when you think of how David Villa, Messi and Levendowski played the role under him.

None are physically carbon copies of each other but it is the similarity of cerebral input and output that Pep taps into.

I don't know whether Pep drinks Guinness or not, but once again he's been proven right in getting Foden to match his own patience so that his EFFECTIVE level of performances would indeed be worth the wait.

If we go back a little over two years ago, the majority of opinions regards our up and coming youth that I recollect, had ESR and Reiss Nelson as the #1&2 to watch, with Saka only getting an honourable mention alongside Willock and a couple more who I believe have since left the club.

That Haaland is at the top of the pile of young strikers and doesn't appear to have bunked-off school too much, suggests that the Spaniards gaze remains fixed on him for now.
thebigbangtheo
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:41 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:I am not for one moment suggesting that Martinelli is the dogs gonads right now, just that along with a naturally high technical ability, he also possesses all the attributes of the type of striker Guardiola clearly likes to operate with when you think of how David Villa, Messi and Levendowski played the role under him.

None are physically carbon copies of each other but it is the similarity of cerebral input and output that Pep taps into.

I don't know whether Pep drinks Guinness or not, but once again he's been proven right in getting Foden to match his own patience so that his EFFECTIVE level of performances would indeed be worth the wait.

If we go back a little over two years ago, the majority of opinions regards our up and coming youth that I recollect, had ESR and Reiss Nelson as the #1&2 to watch, with Saka only getting an honourable mention alongside Willock and a couple more who I believe have since left the club.

That Haaland is at the top of the pile of young strikers and doesn't appear to have bunked-off school too much, suggests that the Spaniards gaze remains fixed on him for now.

Pep isn’t wasting his time with kids. He molds finished teams into title winners.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:27 am

swipe right wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I am not for one moment suggesting that Martinelli is the dogs gonads right now, just that along with a naturally high technical ability, he also possesses all the attributes of the type of striker Guardiola clearly likes to operate with when you think of how David Villa, Messi and Levendowski played the role under him.

None are physically carbon copies of each other but it is the similarity of cerebral input and output that Pep taps into.

I don't know whether Pep drinks Guinness or not, but once again he's been proven right in getting Foden to match his own patience so that his EFFECTIVE level of performances would indeed be worth the wait.

If we go back a little over two years ago, the majority of opinions regards our up and coming youth that I recollect, had ESR and Reiss Nelson as the #1&2 to watch, with Saka only getting an honourable mention alongside Willock and a couple more who I believe have since left the club.

That Haaland is at the top of the pile of young strikers and doesn't appear to have bunked-off school too much, suggests that the Spaniards gaze remains fixed on him for now.

Pep isn’t wasting his time with kids. He molds finished teams into title winners.


You missed the part in the post about Foden who is still 20.

Gabriel Jesus was around Martinelli's age when he signed for City.

Torres is 20, signed this season and contributing a decent share to City's season.


Zinchenko broke into the team in his early 20s.

Pep doesn't just sign finished players. City's team is pretty young and they've been going for players in their early 20s.
User avatar
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:41 am

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I am not for one moment suggesting that Martinelli is the dogs gonads right now, just that along with a naturally high technical ability, he also possesses all the attributes of the type of striker Guardiola clearly likes to operate with when you think of how David Villa, Messi and Levendowski played the role under him.

None are physically carbon copies of each other but it is the similarity of cerebral input and output that Pep taps into.

I don't know whether Pep drinks Guinness or not, but once again he's been proven right in getting Foden to match his own patience so that his EFFECTIVE level of performances would indeed be worth the wait.

If we go back a little over two years ago, the majority of opinions regards our up and coming youth that I recollect, had ESR and Reiss Nelson as the #1&2 to watch, with Saka only getting an honourable mention alongside Willock and a couple more who I believe have since left the club.

That Haaland is at the top of the pile of young strikers and doesn't appear to have bunked-off school too much, suggests that the Spaniards gaze remains fixed on him for now.

Pep isn’t wasting his time with kids. He molds finished teams into title winners.


You missed the part in the post about Foden who is still 20.

Gabriel Jesus was around Martinelli's age when he signed for City.

Torres is 20, signed this season and contributing a decent share to City's season.


Zinchenko broke into the team in his early 20s.

Pep doesn't just sign finished players. City's team is pretty young and they've been going for players in their early 20s.

Pep couldn’t give a damn about Foden. And Foden is levels above Martinelli right now. Had Foden been in any other team he’d have been the main man.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby Ach » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:49 am

Yeah foden barely plays at city. Started less than half the games. Jesus, zinchenko and Torres are garbage.
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 20158
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:03 am

Pep would rather cling to a 32 year old Aguero than develop Jesus.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:05 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:Sergio Aguero clearly doesn't have much more time left to his Man City career as first choice striker, with Gabriel Jesus as his heir apparent.

Whilst the Brazilian is indeed a very good striker, he has yet to showcase that he possesses a comparable level of goalscoring prowess to that of the Argentine.

That Pep's gaze has with good reason been fixed on Braut Haaland in seeking the right attacker to eventually take Aguero's spot on the roster, a prolonged period of fitness, form and goals from our boy from Brazil will soon have him casting an envious eye our way given he's also the type of forward Guardiola likes to operate with and has more facets to his game than his fellow Brazilian.

And after all, we are the undisputed champions of allowing top talent to slip through our fingers like sand in an egg timer.


Definitely see Martinelli as a striker and would prefer him to develop there. Was so impressed with how he played during the pre season last year. His pace, work rate and bravery can work well there. Still unsure about him on the wing because he doesn't seem like a high touch player but we'll see. A long way to go for him.

As for City...I think Martinelli has to have a massive season for Pep to poach him. There will be plenty of other options out there they can splash money on but it wouldn't be a bad thing for us if they wanted to spend a ridiculous fee on him.
User avatar
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:08 am

Has Pep poached a single Arsenal player in his entire career other than Cesc?
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:11 am

Ach wrote:Yeah foden barely plays at city. Started less than half the games. Jesus, zinchenko and Torres are garbage.


Foden has played more minutes than Bellerin, Auba, Lacazette and Tierney this season.
User avatar
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:33 pm

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I am not for one moment suggesting that Martinelli is the dogs gonads right now, just that along with a naturally high technical ability, he also possesses all the attributes of the type of striker Guardiola clearly likes to operate with when you think of how David Villa, Messi and Levendowski played the role under him.

None are physically carbon copies of each other but it is the similarity of cerebral input and output that Pep taps into.

I don't know whether Pep drinks Guinness or not, but once again he's been proven right in getting Foden to match his own patience so that his EFFECTIVE level of performances would indeed be worth the wait.

If we go back a little over two years ago, the majority of opinions regards our up and coming youth that I recollect, had ESR and Reiss Nelson as the #1&2 to watch, with Saka only getting an honourable mention alongside Willock and a couple more who I believe have since left the club.

That Haaland is at the top of the pile of young strikers and doesn't appear to have bunked-off school too much, suggests that the Spaniards gaze remains fixed on him for now.

Pep isn’t wasting his time with kids. He molds finished teams into title winners.


You missed the part in the post about Foden who is still 20.

Gabriel Jesus was around Martinelli's age when he signed for City.

Torres is 20, signed this season and contributing a decent share to City's season.


Zinchenko broke into the team in his early 20s.

Pep doesn't just sign finished players. City's team is pretty young and they've been going for players in their early 20s.

Pep couldn’t give a damn about Foden. And Foden is levels above Martinelli right now. Had Foden been in any other team he’d have been the main man.

What are you talking about geez ? Foden looks quality when he plays, Pep has bigged him up no end and turned to him to play him as CF in one of their recent games (the one they started without a recognised striker). I understand why Pep is not playing him more, keeps him keen and doesn't burn him out. Look at his progression:
2017-18, 5 league appearances, 10 all comps.
2018-19, 13 league appearances, 25 in all comps
2019-20, 23 league appearances, 37 in all comps.
2020-21, 17 league appearances, 29 in all comps (so far)

I think Pep is handling him just fine to be honest.
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:14 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:I am not for one moment suggesting that Martinelli is the dogs gonads right now, just that along with a naturally high technical ability, he also possesses all the attributes of the type of striker Guardiola clearly likes to operate with when you think of how David Villa, Messi and Levendowski played the role under him.

None are physically carbon copies of each other but it is the similarity of cerebral input and output that Pep taps into.

I don't know whether Pep drinks Guinness or not, but once again he's been proven right in getting Foden to match his own patience so that his EFFECTIVE level of performances would indeed be worth the wait.

If we go back a little over two years ago, the majority of opinions regards our up and coming youth that I recollect, had ESR and Reiss Nelson as the #1&2 to watch, with Saka only getting an honourable mention alongside Willock and a couple more who I believe have since left the club.

That Haaland is at the top of the pile of young strikers and doesn't appear to have bunked-off school too much, suggests that the Spaniards gaze remains fixed on him for now.

Pep isn’t wasting his time with kids. He molds finished teams into title winners.


You missed the part in the post about Foden who is still 20.

Gabriel Jesus was around Martinelli's age when he signed for City.

Torres is 20, signed this season and contributing a decent share to City's season.


Zinchenko broke into the team in his early 20s.

Pep doesn't just sign finished players. City's team is pretty young and they've been going for players in their early 20s.

Pep couldn’t give a damn about Foden. And Foden is levels above Martinelli right now. Had Foden been in any other team he’d have been the main man.

What are you talking about geez ? Foden looks quality when he plays, Pep has bigged him up no end and turned to him to play him as CF in one of their recent games (the one they started without a recognised striker). I understand why Pep is not playing him more, keeps him keen and doesn't burn him out. Look at his progression:
2017-18, 5 league appearances, 10 all comps.
2018-19, 13 league appearances, 25 in all comps
2019-20, 23 league appearances, 37 in all comps.
2020-21, 17 league appearances, 29 in all comps (so far)

I think Pep is handling him just fine to be honest.

I have never said Pep doesn’t play Foden. Just that he couldn’t give a tuppence for Foden’s development. Pep is hired to do one thing and one thing only. Win the league. With or without Foden. This discussion started when people began making wild assumptions that Pep would eye Martinelli for his Cf spot. My response was Pep isn’t wasting his time buying 19 year olds with single digit goal numbers to their name. Even Jesus after 3-4 seasons is sitting waiting for Aguero to move on.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby KG3 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:39 pm

Angelito wrote:
swipe right wrote:I think we overrate Martinelli. He’s got 3 goals in 19 premier league games over 865 minutes. Yes he’s a talent but I don’t think Pep and Klopp are eyeing him enviously.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/gabriel-m ... saison=ges


I'd like to see him under Bielsa. It would be life-changing for him.

He just needs to get out of here asap.


Well Bielsa had Pepe performing so I don’t see why not then again that was a farmers league.

Pep or Klopp even just look at the the way they had Mane, Salah, Sterling and Pedro etc playing under them
User avatar
KG3
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4828
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:03 am

Kid does have to leave us, unfortunately. Arteta is not going to develop him. Seems to have it in for him, if anything.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8698
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:07 am

swipe right wrote:I think we overrate Martinelli. He’s got 3 goals in 19 premier league games over 865 minutes. Yes he’s a talent but I don’t think Pep and Klopp are eyeing him enviously.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/gabriel-m ... saison=ges


That is from the age of 18-19. 3 goals in 865 minutes is not bad at all at that age - in fact, it's good.
It equates to a run rate of 12-13 goals in a PL season - at 18-19 yrs of age.

He's also scored 10 in 1800 first-team minutes.

Probably the most talented youngsters in world football right now - he won't be our player for long.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8698
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests