Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby ag6789 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:50 pm

He's too slightly built for a CF. Should do well to come in from the wings. He also has the dribble so shouldn't be a problem.
He needs to hone his shooting skills.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:19 pm

He needs game-time. He needs a loan spell for that. He needs to be working with a coach who can help improve his craft.

This current manager has already proven that he isn't the best coach when it comes to improving players. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. Mourinho is a legendary manager, and he's not known to help youngsters excel or improve existing players.

If Martinelli remains satisfied being a bench-warmer, I'd seriously question his attitude. He needs to get out of here even if it's a loan spell.

Arsenal's online fanbase will throw stones at him if he starts pushing for a move. Wouldn't be too bothered. This is the only fanbase that berates every world class player that's played for Arsenal since the Emirates move.

The ideal scenario would be a loan move. His stock has fallen considerably since Arteta arrived. At this rate, he needs to score every time he touches the ball to be in contention of a starting berth.

It's still not too late for him. He needs to consider his options because Arteta and Edu surely aren't interested in his development. They'll get another £100m to spend from Josh next summer. They really have no incentive to work with him.

Arsenal have become free-spenders now. The only difference with other clubs is that—there doesn't seem to be any pressure on the management and administrative teams despite spending recklessly over the past few years.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:24 pm

ag6789 wrote:He's too slightly built for a CF. Should do well to come in from the wings. He also has the dribble so shouldn't be a problem.

He was too predicatble as an inverted winger yesterday. Kept cutting in on favourite foot and getting crowded out. If Martinelli is too slight for a CF role then what is Nketiah when playing as lone striker? It's not as if Martinelli hasn't played up front before and not scored.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
ag6789 wrote:He's too slightly built for a CF. Should do well to come in from the wings. He also has the dribble so shouldn't be a problem.

He was too predicatble as an inverted winger yesterday. Kept cutting in on favourite foot and getting crowded out. If Martinelli is too slight for a CF role then what is Nketiah when playing as lone striker? It's not as if Martinelli hasn't played up front before and not scored.

Nketiah looked strong on the ball up front on his own and it worked quite well - especially in the first 15 and the last 30 minutes.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Losmeister » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:26 pm

TedLasso wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:Barely plays. Needs a run of games.

Started 4 games this season already - reality is not your friend.

4 out of 12 games is hardly "a run." He's only played 339 of 1080 possible minutes, that's just not enough to build a talented young prospect up.

He needs more consistent playing time.

if you interact w/ jayram expect assanine shit.

jus sayn
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:02 am

TedLasso wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

4 out of 12 games is hardly "a run." He's only played 339 of 1080 possible minutes, that's just not enough to build a talented young prospect up.

He's a young player who needs to perform well when he gets his chances BEFORE he gets a run in the team.

Starting 4 games in 12 is more than most back up players get.
I wanted to see more of Martinelli too.
But if he's not going to do anything when he plays and that has now happened in 4 starts where he had been poor, who the hell gets dropped to accommodate his 'run' in the team?

Left side seems to be ESRs best position. Drop him?
Do we give Martinelli a run at CF, which he says himself is not his favoured position? .. and drop Auba and/or Laca?

Do we play Martinelli out of position to give him his run and drop Saka?

Or, instead of experimenting to give a young player time to get better, do we play our best team now in order to give ourselves the best chance of winning games?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:46 am

Power n Glory wrote:

It has to come eventually. If we're sticking with a 4-4-2, we're pretty light on options both up front and out wide. Rotation will be needed eventually.

Sure hope so but Arteta clearly doesn't rate him. Another young player headed for the exit door

Can see Vela vibes here. Great when he started but barely played and made a good career elsewhere
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Translation:

"He doesn't worship me and has his own mind, so I am going to sh*t on him and treat him just like I did with Guendouzi, Saliba and Ozil, whilst paying lip service to the media... oh, by the way, did I tell you how brilliant my signing Willian is".

From march this year. You know, during this incredible run we started in December lol

Behind martinelli. Criticises Arteta.

Troll mode on

Vice versa.

Plenty of other posts similar on this very thread lol
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:10 am

Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Translation:

"He doesn't worship me and has his own mind, so I am going to sh*t on him and treat him just like I did with Guendouzi, Saliba and Ozil, whilst paying lip service to the media... oh, by the way, did I tell you how brilliant my signing Willian is".

From march this year. You know, during this incredible run we started in December lol

Troll mode on

Vice versa.

April 2020.
That is when I went from Arteta out to Arteta in as already discussed. At that time we'd gone well into a good run.
I am able to change my views based on what happens.
I am not locked into any player or any manager.
If we go on a run of poor form, I will be changing again.
You should try it.

I am still a big fan of Martinelli, but he hasn't performed since coming back from injury in the plenty of chances he's had.
It's as simple as that.

Here's a selection of YOUR assessments on Martinelli:

Bring on Auba and Laca. Bye Martinelli and Willian

Martinelli dear god.

Martinelli and Laca miss sitters

Scored a penalty in the shootout to help Brazil in to the final
Nothing else all tournament

Martinelli done nothing and balogun so quiet

Forgot martinelli was playing.

Doesn't really do much does he?

Can martinelli play well without xhaka guiding him?

Martinelli who's hardly touched the ball on the left.

Martinelli isn't a striker.

Martinelli to go off

Martinelli had a few bright moments but hasn't really taken his chance.

Martinelli needs to do more. Some poor decisions and a sitter missed.

Martinelli sitter

Martinelli ffs.

Martinelli actually needs to do something now. Being out of the team has made him better than he is to some fans. Not done much when he has played.

But, yeah, all of a sudden you think he should be starting because, well, we know, any opportunity for Arteta Bad :sneaky2:

Trolling indeed.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 am

Losmeister wrote:
TedLasso wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

if you interact w/ jayram expect assanine shit.

jus sayn
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:43 am

Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Translation:

Troll mode on

Vice versa.

Say no more. :lol:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Translation:

Troll mode on

Vice versa.

Say no more. :lol:

Yup. Embarrassed himself here.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:47 pm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-news-martinelli-arteta-pepe-25319271

The Brazilian was almost guilty of trying too much at times and was wasteful in the final third, clearly showing that his sustained spell on the bench has knocked his confidence somewhat.

This was evident when the forward opted to take a shot at goal when the better option was a short pass to Mohamed Elneny, something he then apologised for as he realised it was the wrong option.

There was even a moment in when his teammate Pepe had a go at him as he drove to the by-line, cutting back on several occasions instead of releasing the ball to the Ivorian.

Arteta hinted earlier this month that Martinelli's "eagerness" to be playing in the first team has been detrimental to his development and the main reason why the "anxious" player hasn't been playing recently.

He said: “He needs time. He is so willing and so anxious that it can block his development sometimes as well, sometimes he won’t understand my decisions but the only reason I make those is to help him.

“There are a few things that have to be better and one of those is to manage when he doesn’t play. You have to know how to suffer when you are on the bench. You have to be able to swallow that, all your ego and anger, all your willingness to play the game
.”
Arteta did make it clear that he was still a part of the club's long-term plans, however, as reports emerged of a January exit.

Asked if Martinelli could go out on loan in the upcoming window, he said: "No I'm very happy with him.

"We’re not thinking of anything like that."

I don't know if this is going to work out. It sounds like his eagerness to play and win a spot in the team is causing him to do too much. Reminds me of Pepe. Both players need to try and relax a little and not try to produce the 'big moment' with every touch. I like that sort or aggressive play but it has to be managed in bursts. We'll see what happens but I also don't think the manager is helping to curb that anxious with the players with the lack of playing time.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Power n Glory wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-news-martinelli-arteta-pepe-25319271

The Brazilian was almost guilty of trying too much at times and was wasteful in the final third, clearly showing that his sustained spell on the bench has knocked his confidence somewhat.

This was evident when the forward opted to take a shot at goal when the better option was a short pass to Mohamed Elneny, something he then apologised for as he realised it was the wrong option.

There was even a moment in when his teammate Pepe had a go at him as he drove to the by-line, cutting back on several occasions instead of releasing the ball to the Ivorian.

Arteta hinted earlier this month that Martinelli's "eagerness" to be playing in the first team has been detrimental to his development and the main reason why the "anxious" player hasn't been playing recently.

He said: “He needs time. He is so willing and so anxious that it can block his development sometimes as well, sometimes he won’t understand my decisions but the only reason I make those is to help him.

“There are a few things that have to be better and one of those is to manage when he doesn’t play. You have to know how to suffer when you are on the bench. You have to be able to swallow that, all your ego and anger, all your willingness to play the game
.”
Arteta did make it clear that he was still a part of the club's long-term plans, however, as reports emerged of a January exit.

Asked if Martinelli could go out on loan in the upcoming window, he said: "No I'm very happy with him.

I don't know if this is going to work out. It sounds like his eagerness to play and win a spot in the team is causing him to do too much. Reminds me of Pepe. Both players need to try and relax a little and not try to produce the 'big moment' with every touch. I like that sort or aggressive play but it has to be managed in bursts. We'll see what happens but I also don't think the manager is helping to curb that anxious with the players with the lack of playing time.

He's nothing like Pepe.

Martinelli is young. Understandable he is eager.
Not ready to start yet, but if he keeps getting chances as he is then we can hope he takes one and kicks on from there.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Power n Glory wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-news-martinelli-arteta-pepe-25319271

.”

This style of management won't work with Martinelli. He got ample chances under Emery and impressed as well. There was a time when he was rated higher than Saka, for example.

Since Arteta has arrived, he's found it difficult to even become a rotation option. He got injured and since then, he hasn't been the same. To be fair to him, no attacker has looked consistently good under Arteta. I wouldn't be surprised if Arteta were Pep's defensive coach at City.

There's Auba during that 6 month spell that culminated with a FA Cup win, but Auba has been prolific for pretty much his entire career.

People don't want to speak about it but Saka has been mediocre for more or less the entire year. Over the course of his tenure, Leno, Smith Rowe, and arguably Auba are the three players who've shown some sort of consistency.

The best thing for Martinelli would be a loan spell elsewhere. To a club where he will get game time. Arteta won't allow that voluntarily because he has shown a tendency of hoarding players for emergency situations.

As much as it saddens me, I wouldn't mind if we sold him altogether. There are some players—like Belotti or Puig—who've stagnated by remaining at their respective clubs. I can see that happening to Martinelli, especially as he doesn't have a coach to work with him in his personal development. Saka and ESR had Ljungberg and Emery. Martinelli was doing fine under Emery. Unai got the balance right when it came to deploying youngsters.

When a pro like Aubameyang is struggling in this system, it's not a surprise that Martinelli looks lost. Managers like Conte, Klopp, and Bielsa improve the players at their disposal. Others like Pep, Simeone, and Zidane get their best players to perform consistently.

It's difficult to gauge what Arteta does exactly. Under any half-decent manager, we'd still be mid-table. He hasn't overachieved here. In fact, it's the opposite. We've gone from being a European mainstay to no Europe and despite that, we're struggling in the League.

Arsenal have been consistently in 8th - 12th places under him. While the romance of charisma wouldn't exist, I fail to understand how this is any different from what someone like Unai would be doing here—a manager who actually took us to our 7th only European final.

It's baffling that a manager who has the safest job in the world—still manages to put pressure on himself. This would be a dream job for many folks.

Meh. Enough Arteta talk.

Just hope Martinelli goes on loan in January. That's almost improbable. If his agent has sense, he'd be on his ears. At this stage, he needs game-time and more importantly, he needs to be working with a coach who can help him hone his craft.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk