Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby starmandb » Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm

Arteta has used
Torriera
Maitland Niles
Guendouzi
Saka
Nelson
Tierney
Gabriel
Nketiah
Smith Rowe
Martinelli
Odegaard
In his 3 games unbeaten v Man Utd so far
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby jayramfootball » Mon May 03, 2021 1:08 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:This is why Arteta has to go.

He sounds like a guy making terrible decisions who spends half his time trying to meakly justify those decisions.

How can a guy who deep down know's he's been found out but still makes the same mistakes be the best manager for us?

Why not just say "He's been injured a lot and I want to ease him back slowly so there's no more set backs"
We could all half understand that than the cryptic BS he's coming out with now.

I really don't like this man anymore and when he gets stuffed by Utd in the Europa final, every defeat and every draw after is going to come down on him three times as hard.

The truth will probably never come out, but it was clear LAST season when he inexplicably dropped Martinelli before he got injured that there was a problem. Seems like he just made his mind up about players very quickly, but I doubt the criteria was football alone.

Arteta has totally wasted a year of Martinelli's development.
Honestly, hate to say it, but if I were Martinelli or his agent. I would be looking for a move.
Careers are short and the last thing he needs is Arteta f***ing around with his future.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 03, 2021 1:26 pm

starmandb wrote:Arteta has used
Torriera
Maitland Niles
Guendouzi
Saka
Nelson
Tierney
Gabriel
Nketiah
Smith Rowe
Martinelli
Odegaard

All those players were in a starting ine up? You've misread. I won't repeat the argument about young players either but in this instance Arteta was speaking about playing too many kids. Small distinction but I'd say the kids are the players under 21 with little experience.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 pm

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/gabi-has-things-to-improve-arteta-calls-for-patience-and/tpk2ph8ul2os10exh328k94w6
Why hasn’t Martinelli been started?
The Arsenal boss explained that one of the reasons for the teenager's lack of minutes is the number of youngsters who are already featuring regular for Arsenal this season.

"We cannot put six or seven young kids out there,” he said. “We need some cohesion, we need the timing.

“Gabi has a lot of things to improve. He has got big qualities as well, and we have other players in those positions.

“Then we have to create links within the team and balance within the team. This will come.

It's a new lie. Last month this was the excuse.

I do agree that we should not play 6 youngsters at the same time.
However, Martinelli should be the first youngster along with Saka to play for us.

Why? If the young players are performing better than the older players why play the older players? Our best players this season have been young players!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon May 03, 2021 4:54 pm

I think what is happening here might be that Arteta is trying to take credit for 'developing' Martinelli.
You can hear it in his language ... 'he's improving'.. 'taking his minutes well'.
The truth is he was already completely ready to play 1st team football when Arteta joined. Everyone knows it.
Truth is that Arteta hasn't developed any young player. They were all ready before he joined. Saka, ESR, Martinelli.
We're not seeing the young players that he COULD develop from the U23 team - Balogun, Azeez etc.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 03, 2021 5:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:I think what is happening here might be that Arteta is trying to take credit for 'developing' Martinelli.
You can hear it in his language ... 'he's improving'.. 'taking his minutes well'.
The truth is he was already completely ready to play 1st team football when Arteta joined. Everyone knows it.
Truth is that Arteta hasn't developed any young player. They were all ready before he joined. Saka, ESR, Martinelli.
We're not seeing the young players that he COULD develop from the U23 team - Balogun, Azeez etc.

Was thinking similar. Look how long he left it before ESR started games. Similar with leaving Saliba out. I don't think its for credit, I think his strategy for over-hyped kids is to leave them out and see if they stick around or not. Almost like a test of character.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm

I don't think he's taking credit at all, he's been very reluctant to use him, well after he came back from injury. How many times did he use Willian or Auba in his position, even when they were shooting blanks?

Even the press don't really try to credit him for individual players. They have mostly focused on how Arteta has changed the inner workings of the club.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Mon May 03, 2021 6:35 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/gabi-has-things-to-improve-arteta-calls-for-patience-and/tpk2ph8ul2os10exh328k94w6
Why hasn’t Martinelli been started?
The Arsenal boss explained that one of the reasons for the teenager's lack of minutes is the number of youngsters who are already featuring regular for Arsenal this season.

"We cannot put six or seven young kids out there,” he said. “We need some cohesion, we need the timing.

“Gabi has a lot of things to improve. He has got big qualities as well, and we have other players in those positions.

“Then we have to create links within the team and balance within the team. This will come.

It's a new lie. Last month this was the excuse.

I do agree that we should not play 6 youngsters at the same time.
However, Martinelli should be the first youngster along with Saka to play for us.

Why? If the young players are performing better than the older players why play the older players? Our best players this season have been young players!!

Cant argue this tbh. Not having experiences players who are performing is not very ideal.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon May 03, 2021 8:12 pm

Xhaka was instructing Martinelli on what to do apparently. :rolleyes:

As an experienced player, I'm sure he had a few tips for Gabi, but this is getting beyond pathetic. What is the issue between Arteta and Martinelli really? Why is Martinelli treated like he's some dumb player who needs Arteta (and now Xhaka) to babysit him?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Mon May 03, 2021 8:31 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:Arteta has used
Torriera
Maitland Niles
Guendouzi
Saka
Nelson
Tierney
Gabriel
Nketiah
Smith Rowe
Martinelli
Odegaard

All those players were in a starting ine up? You've misread. I won't repeat the argument about young players either but in this instance Arteta was speaking about playing too many kids. Small distinction but I'd say the kids are the players under 21 with little experience.

I was conflating two points mate
They didn’t all start
They didn’t all start together but they were involved
The other point was this wet the bed
Live in fear nonsense about it not being worth reaching a final because Man Utd might beat us
We might not reach the final
We not not win it but for f**k sake
We are fans of a sport where you have someone up the other end trying to beat you and sometimes they do
I want us in finals of everything
That’s how you win them
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Angelito wrote:Xhaka was instructing Martinelli on what to do apparently. :rolleyes:

As an experienced player, I'm sure he had a few tips for Gabi, but this is getting beyond pathetic. What is the issue between Arteta and Martinelli really? Why is Martinelli treated like he's some dumb player who needs Arteta (and now Xhaka) to babysit him?

It is getting ridiculous.
I really don't know why Arteta just doesn't give the kid the praise he deserves - if he HAS to say anything at all - instead of trying to look clever with his ridiculous talking points.
Just feels like Arteta knows he sh*t the bed and is now looking for a way out of the mess he made of himself.

'Hey look, aren't I clever, Martinelli is coming good because of me and my buddy Xhaka'
Total bullcrap.

Every damn person on planet earth that follows football, even remotely, knew this kids talent and that he should have been playing.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Tue May 04, 2021 5:46 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:Xhaka was instructing Martinelli on what to do apparently. :rolleyes:

It is getting ridiculous.
I really don't know why Arteta just doesn't give the kid the praise he deserves - if he HAS to say anything at all - instead of trying to look clever with his ridiculous talking points.
Just feels like Arteta knows he sh*t the bed and is now looking for a way out of the mess he made of himself.

'Hey look, aren't I clever, Martinelli is coming good because of me and my buddy Xhaka'
Total bullcrap.

Every damn person on planet earth that follows football, even remotely, knew this kids talent and that he should have been playing.

All except that clown we have as a manager.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Santi » Tue May 04, 2021 6:05 am

Tbh I’ve been wanting him to play more but that’s mostly because pepe and Auba have been so bad and this lad at least brings energy. He definitely does have work to do on his end product, particularly when setting others up rather than finishing himself.

Hopefully gets more time now given the injuries to those around him, his flaws are something which would improve with game time and staying fit.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 am

jayramfootball wrote:I think what is happening here might be that Arteta is trying to take credit for 'developing' Martinelli.

Good point, i didn't think of it that way, I wouldn't be surprised either. He has not worked well woth the kids at all. Balogun should've received more minutes when you consider Martinelli and Auba have had spells out on the sidelines. We have had such inconsistent midfield performances/partnerships, why hasn't Azeez seen some minutes?? No way he would be worse than the tripe we have seen, like I said before.

Sticking week in, week out with woefully under performing senior players tells me Arteta does not have faith in the youngsters and/or is too scared to play them. As we all know, he only turned to ESR as a final throw of the dice, the last hurrah, the almighty hail mary attempt.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue May 04, 2021 6:14 am

NGL do any of you actually watch the u23’s and youths before claiming these guys should start? Everyone throws the name Azeez around like he’s the next Makelele. I don’t disagree with the idea of giving him some minutes but given we’re 10th in the league and desperate for points, when exactly? Do you know he’s good enough or just hoping he can’t be as shit as Xhaka and Ceballos?

End of the day I think anyone good enough would be playing, look at Saka. If any kid should be getting a chance it should be a young left back while Tierney is out (but I’d still prefer Saka or Xhaka there tbh).
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk