Gabriel Martinelli (11)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Martinelli (35)

Postby jayramfootball » Tue May 04, 2021 8:32 am

Santi wrote:NGL do any of you actually watch the u23’s and youths before claiming these guys should start? Everyone throws the name Azeez around like he’s the next Makelele. I don’t disagree with the idea of giving him some minutes but given we’re 10th in the league and desperate for points, when exactly? Do you know he’s good enough or just hoping he can’t be as shit as Xhaka and Ceballos?

End of the day I think anyone good enough would be playing, look at Saka. If any kid should be getting a chance it should be a young left back while Tierney is out (but I’d still prefer Saka or Xhaka there tbh).

The club needs revolution not evolution, IMO. You bring these players through and if they are not quite good enough you move them on and bring the next one in.
We are literally going nowhere with the likes of Xhaka in the team.
We can't afford to buy a team that will compete, so a top-class development system is badly needed.
If these guys don't get chances from the U23 team, what is the point of the U23 team?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 am

I don't watch the current batch of U23s, my comments are based on attributes, how a player plays, a "type" if you prefer. From clips I have seen he is very good on the ball, has very good awareness of whats around him and has fantastic composure, he seems to be an all-rounder too. These traits suggest he is a better fit than what we currently have to partner Partey. Can he do it on the pitch in the first team ? we won't know until he is given the chance, but based on his natural game he has all the tools.

I said the same thing when I saw Wilshere and Coquelin play, they stood out and looked to have the tools ready for the first team. J.E.T was another, but he decided not to apply himself. You say we are desperate for points, we're not overtaking West Ham, Spurs or Liverpool for a EL place, look what our position was when Arteta threw ESR into action, nobody knew if he would cut it - especially given our totally abject performances leading up to that point. There are no certainties in football.

I look at Xhaka, Ceballos and Elneny and see nothing but mediocrity, none of them stand out to me, I see no benefit in having any of them in the team. Them against each other, well you can argue for one over another given specific scenarios. My thinking is thus; if Azeez plays to anywhere near the level I think he has, Arsenal benefit big time. If he doesn't perform he would be no worse than the 3 Musketeers. Xhaka is a liability and too slow, Ceballos is a walking nightmare at the moment and Elneny is basic as f**k.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 04, 2021 8:54 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Santi wrote:NGL do any of you actually watch the u23’s and youths before claiming these guys should start? Everyone throws the name Azeez around like he’s the next Makelele. I don’t disagree with the idea of giving him some minutes but given we’re 10th in the league and desperate for points, when exactly? Do you know he’s good enough or just hoping he can’t be as shit as Xhaka and Ceballos?

End of the day I think anyone good enough would be playing, look at Saka. If any kid should be getting a chance it should be a young left back while Tierney is out (but I’d still prefer Saka or Xhaka there tbh).

The club needs revolution not evolution, IMO. You bring these players through and if they are not quite good enough you move them on and bring the next one in.
We can't afford to buy a team that will compete, so a top-class development system is badly needed.
If these guys don't get chances from the U23 team, what is the point of the U23 team?

Exactly, our development system has been pants for so long, we have lost so many talented players that looked like they should be able to do something, but we either lost them to other clubs or for whatever reason they didn't develop.

Zech Medley looked decent when he burst on the scene, not heard a peep from him for ages. He is big, fast and has a good left foot. Think he is out on loan somewhere so hopefully he comes back to us ready to play. That was the good thing about Wenger, the quality of our football before he turned shit was so good that he could bring in a load of youngsters to play cup games and blood them in, now we are in such dire straits Arteta cannot afford to do that.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby KG3 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:16 am

jayramfootball wrote:I think what is happening here might be that Arteta is trying to take credit for 'developing' Martinelli.
You can hear it in his language ... 'he's improving'.. 'taking his minutes well'.
The truth is he was already completely ready to play 1st team football when Arteta joined. Everyone knows it.
Truth is that Arteta hasn't developed any young player. They were all ready before he joined. Saka, ESR, Martinelli.
We're not seeing the young players that he COULD develop from the U23 team - Balogun, Azeez etc.

Facts
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Tue May 04, 2021 1:51 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Exactly, our development system has been pants for so long, we have lost so many talented players that looked like they should be able to do something, but we either lost them to other clubs or for whatever reason they didn't develop.

Zech Medley looked decent when he burst on the scene, not heard a peep from him for ages. He is big, fast and has a good left foot. Think he is out on loan somewhere so hopefully he comes back to us ready to play. That was the good thing about Wenger, the quality of our football before he turned shit was so good that he could bring in a load of youngsters to play cup games and blood them in, now we are in such dire straits Arteta cannot afford to do that.

He is at Kilmarnock
He is doing ok
But chambers has been better
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He is at Kilmarnock
He is doing ok
But chambers has been better

Thanks Starmandb.

Part of me is a firm believer in people being able to play to a higher level when surrounded by better quality. If you look at Delle Ali (even though I don't rate him at all), Mason Mount, Jamie Vardy et al, they jumped up divisions and looked at home, I think this is true of many others if they were just given a chance.

On the one hand you might think it is harder to look good when you are surrounded by lots of good players, but I think its easier to look good when you are surrounded by good players because they help you improve your game.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Tue May 04, 2021 5:25 pm

I used to play a bit of cricket
Most of the time I was in with the seniors and the kids what you might call the remnants
We played on some shocking pitches
One ball would be round your ears
The next one would roll along the floor
The bowling was patchy
But on the odd occasion I played for the firsts
The pitch would be even and the better bowlers although challenging (sometimes they would do you all ends up)but there was a consistency about it all
It did seem to up your game
Mind you
The first time I played I ran the skipper out after dropping the ball at my feet and charging up the pitch for a run in blind panic!
I won’t even go into my football career!
starmandb

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 am

Cricket, the quintessentially English game. Whenever I travel through the shire and see a parish church and parish green and a cricket pitch it takes me to a world that is so English I can picture the cricket "banter", the teas and the sun beaming down.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Thu May 06, 2021 9:09 pm

Doesn't really do much does he?

Great assist at the weekend but that's it for the season.

New manager next season. Lighter work load with no Europe. He'll come good
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 am

We will have a hard time keeping this guy in the long run with the way the club is going, should stay next season but as i hope he regains full form I have my doubts we can offer him what he needs to develop to his full potential.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:00 pm

The boy is a legend in the making. Frustrating how he’s been handled so far imo
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Wed May 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Ach wrote:Doesn't really do much does he?

:doh:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nejch » Wed May 19, 2021 8:09 pm

Absolutely love him to death
Such an incredible talent, hard working, dedicated, brave.
He's a breath of fresh air in a stale team
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Wed May 19, 2021 8:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:Doesn't really do much does he?

:doh:

?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed May 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Saved artetas ass for another week
Santi
SE13
SE13