Ornstein: Arsenal MIGHT have £100m to spend

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Ornstein: Arsenal MIGHT have £100m to spend

Postby LMAO » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:31 am

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Not a fan of piss poor football. Trying to pass out the back with seven defenders puts me to sleep.

So not a fan and no understanding about what it means to be a true fan ... keep digging :) :) :)

Who made you judge of all fans? I’ll follow the club as I please thank you very much.

I don't agree with some of what you say but I do agree with this. Nothing wrong with missing a game if you think its going to be shit or if you have something better to do. If you don't like what the manager is cooking it is your right to not go to the game.

Only a bloody idiot complains about what they are being given but continually pays to go back for more of the same. Most of the people criticising are probably armchair fans that don't have a clue anyway.

I’ve been paying money at the gate since the mid-90s. I don’t need some bloody internet virgin telling me how to be a good fan.

lmfao
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:38 am

swipe right wrote:Get a room lads, preferably in Middlesbrough.

Shame that you can't respond with anything other than cliche
I guess time spent on the internet trolling will never make up for life experience good and bad
But you carry on
It must have some value as so many do it
Funny old world ain't it
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:15 am

Fenice wrote:I’m not sure who we focus on with so little money. We need a winger, a center half, a midfielder (Suarez is on loan), and at least one fullback. I think Arseblog said Kronke is divorced from reality if he thinks next season we are challenging for the CL final, he’s right. We’d need close to 200 million for that to be possible.

I don't accept the doom and gloom and I don't buy into the money arguement, never have. We look to buy some exciting young talent thats affordable and coach them to become megastars, there are loads of them out there!!

Spending big money is not the only way to success. Look at when Chelsea were f***ing shit, before Hoddle went there. How did Hoddle build them up? He signed top players who were deemed past it for their clubs on a free (Gullit etc) and augmented that with bringing kids through (Terry, Morris, etc) and shrewd signings. Glenn Hoddle coached the group well, they became competitive BEFORE Abramavich's money.

Gullit continued the trend by signing Vialli and Zola.

Anyone remember us signing Davor Suker?! Quality signing, wasnt with us for long but he proved he still had it. If the coaching is right we can augment young with old, just get the right players in to start with.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 am

Rabiot on a free. Replaces Ramsey.
Ake for Mustafi. We may need to spend 20 mil over what we get for Mustafi.
Nabil Fekir enters the last year of his contract so we could get him for 30 mil tops.
Navas also enters his last year and would go for about 20 mil tops.
A starting LB for 20 mil to replace Monreal.

—Auba—Laca—Fekir
———-Ozil
Rabiot—Guendozi
LB—Ake—Holding—Bellerin
——-Navas/Leno
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 am

theHotHead wrote: I don't accept the doom and gloom and I don't buy into the money argument, never have. We look to buy some exciting young talent that's affordable and coach them to become megastars, there are loads of them out there!!

Spending big money is not the only way to success. Look at when Chelsea were f***ing shit, before Hoddle went there. How did Hoddle build them up? He signed top players who were deemed past it for their clubs on a free (Gullit etc) and augmented that with bringing kids through (Terry, Morris, etc) and shrewd signings. Glenn Hoddle coached the group well, they became competitive BEFORE Abramavich's money.

Ah ... yes the good old 'in my day' argument ....

buy some exciting young talent that's affordable and coach them to become megastars, there are loads of them out there

affordable young talent? are you sure?

14 year old Sheyi Ojo cost £2m
15 year old Sterling cost £5m
16 year old Junior cost £39m
17 year old Aguero cost £15m (and that was in 2006)
18 year old Luke Shaw £31m
19 year old Anthony Martial £36m

and outside the EPL - 19 year old Mbappe £150m

Where are all these affordable youngsters you speak off? with every club in the EPL having top quality academies the day you find a 'bargain' youngster is now the very rare exception not the rule.

As for Hoddle ... he was player manager at a time when there was no Man City, no PSG, and no TV Money ... Man Utd were utterly dominant winning 7 out of 10 EPL titles between '92 - '01 ... top clubs (all with very little money) included Villa, Norwich, QPR, Wednesday ... the only similarity between then and now was on the pitch kicking a ball, off it was an entirely different animal ....

You can paint a picture of 'the good old days' but you can't recreate them ... Spuds who have allegedly have not signed a player since decimalization have in fact spent £531m since 2010, we've spent £604m, Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea £1 billion each and Man City £1.3 billion .... there's just no such thing as a 'cheap' squad anymore, not if you want to compete.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm

EK, throughout your entire post one word stands out that you are missing, that applies to pretty much everything you wrote. The word "relative".

I said "exciting young talent that is affordable", you ask where this talent is, well to give you one example very close to home, our very own Guendouzi is one ! So if we have to, lets look further afield. You claim all the top talent is in EPL academies, I say England is not the only place we have to look !

I'm not going to scour the internet looking for names but it is clear they exist so we can buy them.

You say Hoddle managed during a time there was no Man City, no PSG and no TV Money. This is where the word relative really comes in, because it is all relative, for 2 reasons. The first, all clubs that play in the EPL get a share of the TV money so all are able to buy good players, but the richer clubs are able to spend more because they have more to spend. That means it is no different than how it was before, the rich will always spend the most and spending goes down on a sliding scale.

Secondly, its relative because just because we have Man City now there were other challengers before. Man City do not have the monopoly on talent. If you look at recent modern football history 4 clubs stand out from the rest, Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool. Since I got into football in the 70s Arsenal have won 19 major trophies, Liverpool have won 36 major trophies and Man U have won 32 major trophies, Chelsea have won 21major trophies.

In 1993 when Hoddle joined Chelsea the top 5 was Man U, Blackburn, Newcastle, Arsenal and Leeds. Blackburn were the equivalent then of Man City, more money than everyone else to spend. 1994 the top 5 were Blackburn, Man U, Notts Forest, Liverpool Leeds. in 1995 it was Man U, Newcastle, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Arsenal. You claim Man U were dominant but they were not. They had to battle Blackburn and Newcastle, they may have won but it certainly was not a case of Man U Walking to titles. In the 1990s Arsenal, Leeds, Man U and Blackburn won. in the 2000s it was Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea - so I can argue that the 1990s was more competitive than the 2000s. Its all relative. You dismiss teams and disrespect them because they are not big clubs now, but at the time they were very competitive, Man U didn't get all of the top talent, Blackburn were paying silly wages, Kevin Keegan made Newcastle an attractive proposition and Liverpool were still the biggest club in England.

And for your final bit, its all relative. You cannot talk about what Spurs have spent without looking at what they have sold ! Its a totally kack handed view to do so, because player sales are what have helped them to buy players. They have made £547m on player sales. - versus your £531m they spent.

Cheap players DO exist, everything is more expensive because of inflation, you can't compare £5m then to £5m now, relatively speaking its probably around £20-25m on a player. Wenger used to spend around £20m per season, probably the equivalent of about £80m per season now.

That word relative again.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:EK, throughout your entire post one word stands out that you are missing, that applies to pretty much everything you wrote. The word "relative".

I said "exciting young talent that is affordable", you ask where this talent is, well to give you one example very close to home, our very own Guendouzi is one ! So if we have to, lets look further afield. You claim all the top talent is in EPL academies, I say England is not the only place we have to look !

I'm not going to scour the internet looking for names but it is clear they exist so we can buy them.

You say Hoddle managed during a time there was no Man City, no PSG and no TV Money. This is where the word relative really comes in, because it is all relative, for 2 reasons. The first, all clubs that play in the EPL get a share of the TV money so all are able to buy good players, but the richer clubs are able to spend more because they have more to spend. That means it is no different than how it was before, the rich will always spend the most and spending goes down on a sliding scale.

Secondly, its relative because just because we have Man City now there were other challengers before. Man City do not have the monopoly on talent. If you look at recent modern football history 4 clubs stand out from the rest, Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool. Since I got into football in the 70s Arsenal have won 19 major trophies, Liverpool have won 36 major trophies and Man U have won 32 major trophies, Chelsea have won 21major trophies.

In 1993 when Hoddle joined Chelsea the top 5 was Man U, Blackburn, Newcastle, Arsenal and Leeds. Blackburn were the equivalent then of Man City, more money than everyone else to spend. 1994 the top 5 were Blackburn, Man U, Notts Forest, Liverpool Leeds. in 1995 it was Man U, Newcastle, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Arsenal. You claim Man U were dominant but they were not. They had to battle Blackburn and Newcastle, they may have won but it certainly was not a case of Man U Walking to titles. In the 1990s Arsenal, Leeds, Man U and Blackburn won. in the 2000s it was Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea - so I can argue that the 1990s was more competitive than the 2000s. Its all relative. You dismiss teams and disrespect them because they are not big clubs now, but at the time they were very competitive, Man U didn't get all of the top talent, Blackburn were paying silly wages, Kevin Keegan made Newcastle an attractive proposition and Liverpool were still the biggest club in England.

And for your final bit, its all relative. You cannot talk about what Spurs have spent without looking at what they have sold ! Its a totally kack handed view to do so, because player sales are what have helped them to buy players. They have made £547m on player sales. - versus your £531m they spent.

Cheap players DO exist, everything is more expensive because of inflation, you can't compare £5m then to £5m now, relatively speaking its probably around £20-25m on a player. Wenger used to spend around £20m per season, probably the equivalent of about £80m per season now.

That word relative again.

Good post ... nice to have a response that's not all aggression, nonsense or just abuse ....

Guendozi is a good example ... but to use your term 'relative' he cost 7m rising to 15m-20m depending on which rag you read, unquestionable a good deal, his salary is between 70-110k again depending on what you read so over five years that's another 20m ... so probably a 30m+ contract which as you say represents a very good deal ... it's the 'hen's teeth' that everyone is seeking ....

Against that are Leno, Sokratis, Mkhi, Xhaka, Mustafi, Perez sure not all youngsters but none of whom represent great deals, it's just not that easy, I'm not knocking Arsenal's scouts, with the amount of money around every club is making more bad deals than good ones.

You missed my point on academies, they are off course all around Europe now, what's changed is that the days of Arsenal taking young players from Barca, Real, South America almost at will have gone ... now every club in the EPL is in opposition when it comes to signing youngsters, it's all got a whole lot harder.

again I think you missed my point on Utd dominance, whilst 7-10 titles is a sign off dominance on the pitch, I was talking more about off the pitch. For the best part of twenty years Utd had vastly more income (almost double) any other club in the league, the challenging clubs, Blackburn, Leeds, even us had seasons where we either spent a whole load of cash, or just had 'one of those years' allowing for a brief challenge, but none of Utd's rivals could sustain that challenge through the 90's, with many clubs nearly bankrupting themselves trying. That's just not the same today Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and now Spurs are all in the top ten revenue clubs in Europe, none of them are dropping far out of that list anytime soon. The top four (now six) have filled 90% of the top four places for the last decade, and few would argue that it's going to change.

Whilst "Net Spend" is obviously key you can talk and should talk about the purchasing of players, at the end of the day whether a club gets it's money from having a great business model, selling players at exorbitant prices, massive sponsorship, influx off director's cash, what difference does that make?

The reason the top six are the top six is because over the last twenty years they've had the ability to spend consistently more than any of their rivals, even the new kids Spuds are now well established in this group.

You are off course correct on 'relativity' the 2010's are very different from the 1990's however, and it's sad to reflect, the days when every club started the season dreaming of title challenges and a place in Europe are gone. The top four will 9/10 seasons be made up off four from six, everyone knows that before a ball is even kicked that's just how it is.

So back on topic, the only way the other teams can compete is via youth players, so whilst the big clubs will always get first dibs on emerging talent that talent has little or no chance of a first team place with them ... young players will get churned out, they already are, from massive academies by City, Chelsea, Utd, Spuds at an ever growing rate, far from becoming 'cheap' opportunities these young players will in reality receive ridiculous deals from clubs who can't attract, or can't afford the likes of Lacca, Son, Hazard etc. this has seen a massive increase in the price of young players ....

Guendozi was a great find, it's still a 30m contract for a 19 year old so not that cheap ... but then in football today nothing is .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:50 am

And people criticise the quality of the posting on GW. Great response EK, I literally have no reason to say anything else on this particular topic, you are spot on.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:22 am

Posts are too long tbh.

Aint anybody got time for dat in 2019

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:56 am

Dejan wrote:Posts are too long tbh.

Tldr
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 am

No loss, its not like you add anything of value to any conversation anyway. I can post some pretty drawings for you if you want, got some old "Peter and Jane" books you might be interested in also.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 am

Oh dear.

The obsession is real

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Ach wrote:

Tldr
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby weaponx57 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 am

A lot of good comments here but I still think people don’t realise that it has been 15 years since we last won the league. I know there is the whole we got a new stadium thing and had to pay off the loan but Stan didn’t seem to be bothered about that when he moved the rams and spent billions on them.

Doesn’t our current malaise and drop down the table coincide with Stan just being a cheap white trash American republican?

I think so...that piece of shit needs to go or his feet held to the fire by the fans.

#FuckOffStanKroenke
weaponx57
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Fenice » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:01 am

weaponx57 wrote:A lot of good comments here but I still think people don’t realise that it has been 15 years since we last won the league. I know there is the whole we got a new stadium thing and had to pay off the loan but Stan didn’t seem to be bothered about that when he moved the rams and spent billions on them.

Doesn’t our current malaise and drop down the table coincide with Stan just being a cheap white trash American republican?

I think so...that piece of shit needs to go or his feet held to the fire by the fans.

#FuckOffStanKroenke

Underrated post tbh
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk