Ornstein: Arsenal MIGHT have £100m to spend

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Ornstein: Arsenal MIGHT have £100m to spend

Postby swipe right » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:06 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Not a fan of piss poor football. Trying to pass out the back with seven defenders puts me to sleep.

So not a fan and no understanding about what it means to be a true fan ... keep digging :) :) :)

Who made you judge of all fans? I’ll follow the club as I please thank you very much.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:

Lol

When I had that discussion with someone about how Sven is more than just a scout he has clout behind him in the football world when he turns up to discuss a transfer .............. this is what I mean't.

Who the fk is going to go out of their way or get up and put their tie on for this fkin guy?

We're in tatters because we have a bunch of blood sucking suits trying to drain the milk from the udder instead of real footballing people.

Our Execs got scoffed at by Cities, apparently at the AFC vs City game because none of them were there, they were all at the Superbowl apparently.

We had that discussion about Sven and scouts. A clubs reputation proceeds the scouts. Players join clubs, they don't join scouts. Quite nuts that you think a player will scoff at us because it's Steve Morrow in the stands watching them.

If a club has a shit reputation for developing players or too small for a player, it doesn't matter who is watching them, they won't join him. You're acting as if Sven could join Stoke City and still convince top class players to join him there just because he has a good eye for talent. That's not how it works.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:23 am

swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Not a fan of piss poor football. Trying to pass out the back with seven defenders puts me to sleep.

So not a fan and no understanding about what it means to be a true fan ... keep digging :) :) :)

Who made you judge of all fans? I’ll follow the club as I please thank you very much.

I don't agree with some of what you say but I do agree with this. Nothing wrong with missing a game if you think its going to be shit or if you have something better to do. If you don't like what the manager is cooking it is your right to not go to the game.

Only a bloody idiot complains about what they are being given but continually pays to go back for more of the same. Most of the people criticising are probably armchair fans that don't have a clue anyway.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:26 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Firstly £100m is only two good players in today's prices if that and second I agree, I don't think we're getting £100m clean, I think that would be conditional on who's going out first.

We're a disgrace, pure and simple.

There are teams lower in the league than us with smaller infrastructures who somehow manage to spend more than we do.

We're not getting 100m it'll be more like the rumoured £50m, I wouldn't trust everything Ornstein says either, he comes across as a mouth piece sometimes, probably a price he has to pay for his access.

This is what I don't get either!! How are teams with far less spending more than us. The stadium debt is manageable, always was and not reliant on CL participation. We have far more than some clubs who haven't been in a European competition since I have been watching football, so how are we struggling?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 am

I don't understand where this £100m will come from. It doesn't seem at all obvious to me. Where are revenue growth and/or cost cuts going to come from? To me, AST's estimate of £40m is much more in line with our current financial situation.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby swipe right » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:08 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

I don't agree with some of what you say but I do agree with this. Nothing wrong with missing a game if you think its going to be shit or if you have something better to do. If you don't like what the manager is cooking it is your right to not go to the game.

Only a bloody idiot complains about what they are being given but continually pays to go back for more of the same. Most of the people criticising are probably armchair fans that don't have a clue anyway.

I’ve been paying money at the gate since the mid-90s. I don’t need some bloody internet virgin telling me how to be a good fan.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

I’ve been paying money at the gate since the mid-90s. I don’t need some bloody internet virgin telling me how to be a good fan.

Actually lol at this.

"I don’t need some bloody internet virgin telling me how to be a good fan."

Your still the worst poster on the forum though. :lol:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:42 pm

swipe right wrote:Honestly, I’d rather take an expense paid trip to see the superbowl than spend 90 mins in Manchester watching the drivel Emery doles out.

Probably seen more games live than you've seen on TV but who cares about that? .... I'd rather watch Arsenal play on a freezing cold Tuesday at Middlesbrough, than watch a bunch of padded up tossers interrupting TV commercials for 30 seconds of push and shove, and I've done it many times (twice in 11 days back in '77 we lost 3-0 and 4-1 freezing rain both games) ... but then I'm an Arsenal fan good days or bad not a US sport aficionado ... it's each to their own I guess ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Honestly, I’d rather take an expense paid trip to see the superbowl than spend 90 mins in Manchester watching the drivel Emery doles out.

Probably seen more games live than you've seen on TV but who cares about that? .... I'd rather watch Arsenal play on a freezing cold Tuesday at Middlesbrough, than watch a bunch of padded up tossers interrupting TV commercials for 30 seconds of push and shove, and I've done it many times (twice in 11 days back in '77 we lost 3-0 and 4-1 freezing rain both games) ... but then I'm an Arsenal fan good days or bad not a US sport aficionado ... it's each to their own I guess ....

Well then off to Middlesbrough you go then. Bye.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 pm

swipe right wrote: Well then off to Middlesbrough you go then. Bye.

Next season if we draw them in a cup, or if they come up ... sure I'll be there ... guess you'll be watching ping-pong or marbles because as you so proudly proclaimed 'it's better than watching Arsenal under Emery' ... as I said it takes all sorts to call themselves fans ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fenice » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:41 pm

I’m not sure who we focus on with so little money. We need a winger, a center half, a midfielder (Suarez is on loan), and at least one fullback. I think Arseblog said Kronke is divorced from reality if he thinks next season we are challenging for the CL final, he’s right. We’d need close to 200 million for that to be possible.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm

£100m isnt anywhere near what we need to rebuild, but I can see us spending that if Mustafi, Ozil and Mikhytaryan are sold. If they stay, £40m is a much more likely number.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

The past really is a foreign land mate
Hard for the take it or leave it generation to understand how difficult it was to catch your football team away from home in these days
It was a couple of seasons before I started going to away games outside of London
I had been on a Mediterranean cruise with my school
I was gutted that I had to miss a home game
The ss Uganda bound for Haifa or a 0-0 with Sunderland ?
I was missing the wrestlers burger and the wagon wheel more than I was enjoying my first ever snog.thia draw was as good as it got till April
We lost the next 8 games then drew the next one.
I remember trying to keep up with the 3-0 defeat at boro but radio 2 were only offering second half coverage of Ipswich v Norwich
Ipswich went top that night
We were 5 th at the start of that poor run and a 4-1 home defeat to Ipswich in the middle of it put paid to any vague hopes we had harboured of the title
In truth though terry Neil had steadied the ship after what had bee two dreadful seasons at the end of Bertie mee's tenure
I tried to talk my grandad into making the long drive up to boro for the cup tie but in truth I don't think his cab would have made it
I know that those that did faced a torrent of hate
There were about 50 arrests and one Arsenal fan got a dart in the face that just missed his eye
My only chance of catching this game was updates on lbc radio
We were the only London club left in the cup so it got a bit more attention on there
Highlights were shown on the big match the following afternoon ( in fact it's on you tube if anyone wants to post it) it looks really strange now to see pockets of Arsenal fans celebrating when Malcolm macdonald pulls one back) taking your life in your hands with no segregation.
These were the days when just william was on Sunday afternoons and Bonnies Langford was scweeming and scweeming.
Also around this time was a play called spend spend spend
About pools winner Vivian Nicholson won 152 grand and vowed to spunk it all
Less than half a weeks salary for some footballers now
I would still rather be doing any of the above than watching the superbore
I am jealous of your two trips to boro
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:50 pm

starmandb wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

The past really is a foreign land mate
Hard for the take it or leave it generation to understand how difficult it was to catch your football team away from home in these days
It was a couple of seasons before I started going to away games outside of London
I had been on a Mediterranean cruise with my school
I was gutted that I had to miss a home game
The ss Uganda bound for Haifa or a 0-0 with Sunderland ?
I was missing the wrestlers burger and the wagon wheel more than I was enjoying my first ever snog.thia draw was as good as it got till April
We lost the next 8 games then drew the next one.
I remember trying to keep up with the 3-0 defeat at boro but radio 2 were only offering second half coverage of Ipswich v Norwich
Ipswich went top that night
We were 5 th at the start of that poor run and a 4-1 home defeat to Ipswich in the middle of it put paid to any vague hopes we had harboured of the title
In truth though terry Neil had steadied the ship after what had bee two dreadful seasons at the end of Bertie mee's tenure
I tried to talk my grandad into making the long drive up to boro for the cup tie but in truth I don't think his cab would have made it
I know that those that did faced a torrent of hate
There were about 50 arrests and one Arsenal fan got a dart in the face that just missed his eye
My only chance of catching this game was updates on lbc radio
We were the only London club left in the cup so it got a bit more attention on there
Highlights were shown on the big match the following afternoon ( in fact it's on you tube if anyone wants to post it) it looks really strange now to see pockets of Arsenal fans celebrating when Malcolm macdonald pulls one back) taking your life in your hands with no segregation.
These were the days when just william was on Sunday afternoons and Bonnies Langford was scweeming and scweeming.
Also around this time was a play called spend spend spend
About pools winner Vivian Nicholson won 152 grand and vowed to spunk it all
Less than half a weeks salary for some footballers now
I would still rather be doing any of the above than watching the superbore
I am jealous of your two trips to boro

Loved that post ... brought back a whole load of memories ... thanks
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:36 am

Get a room lads, preferably in Middlesbrough.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk