2019 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Rate the transfer window

Poll ended at Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:53 pm

10 - Perfect, could not have been better!
No votes
9 - Great, the best transfer window in years!
49%
8 - Very good, I have no complaints.
32%
7 - Good, but could have been better.
13%
6 - Okay, but not as good as made out.
6%
5 - Disappointing, it is what it is.
No votes
4 - Subpar, no real surprise.
No votes
3 - Terrible, nothing more to add.
No votes
2 - Unacceptable, utterly negligent.
No votes
1 - Shambolic, flat-out unforgivable.
No votes

Total votes : 47

Re: 2019 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Zedie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:21 am

theHotHead wrote:
Zedie wrote:So you're not going to discuss the point? Thought so.

Yawn.
i think you are just looking for attention at this point, you're not my type Zedie, sorry.

Not looking for attention. I posed a sinple question and expected a simple answer that you seem to keep doging with ever increasing flimsy off topic responses.

It's not difficult. Would you prefer to keep xhaka mkhi ozil monreal and play them this year or have replaced them because it could have happened if we sold them and / or put money in as required.

Guess you on the side that thinks they're good enough then
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:29 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:I wonder if this is accurate. It's from the Sun.

Probably about right. Bit of an issue next summer if we dont sell anyone as that'll mean 10m to spend as a down payment if we are to stick to 45m net.

Highly unlikely though.

Like I said earlier, sell:

Mkhi
Ozil
mustafi
Luiz
Xhaka

in jan/july 2020 and we can have a trophy winning team in another season or 2.

We need to go as hard as possible before our targets start aligning with other clubs needs.

City are stacked at the mo but will be replacing silva, aguero and their older players soon plus a LB If zinchenko doesnt work out

Liverpool have taken a year off so will strengthen for sure next summer

Spurs will need new FBs soon

Chelsea wont have spent for a year so will go hard

Man u have more money than sense

This season is a great time to go hard and we should be trying again in jan/summer

It's easy to say sell but nobody wants them on the salaries we pay - look at next summer

Mkhi - next summer he will be 31, have one year left on his contract on 180k a week ... pay salary to get rid if we can
Ozil - next summer he will be 31, have one year left on his contract on 350k a week ... pay salary to get rid if we can
mustafi - next summer he will be 28, have one year left on his contract on 90k a week ... maybe 20m
Luiz - next summer he will be 33, have one year left on his contract at ????k a week ... maybe 5m
Xhaka - - next summer he will be 27, have three year left on his contract at 180k a week ... maybe 35m more if he has a good season but if he does then why sell?

That's five regular starters who could be gone, two with us probably having to pay for them to leave the other three maybe 60m ... hardly a win for us they will all need replacing and we will still need defenders as well.

Next summer the other big five will all have money to spend, City have zero players out of contract but no doubt will look to replace Aguero, Otamendi and probably Walker with expensive back ups. Utd will have 200m just because they generate such huge income, Spurs will lose Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertongen if they haven't already, Chelsea will be back from the transfer ban, and Liverpool will have realised they're short of a few squad players ...

With us having so many ageing players with just one or two years left on their contracts as you say it's going to be a sellers market. Let's hope we go deep in all the cups to get those tills rolling.

Be pragmatic and reduce their asking price, thus making the package more acceptable to the buyer.

Do the maths, taking their wages off the books for those years alone is enough to pay half their replacement fee.

Mkhi we got for free ffs. If it falls short put in private funds allowed within FFP and structure deals like we have.

You're telling me no one in world football would take

Mustafi 10m
Ozil 20m
Monreal 5m
Xhaka 20m

=

55m

Add 30m

=

85m

You lot conveniently forget we bid 70m for upamenco near deadline day. We were ready to smash the 60m net spend we already committed to.

Theres more than enough money there to replace the rest of the deadwood.

Theres not really an excuse no matter how some people ignore it.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:30 am

Zenith wrote:New update following JRA's transfer to Lyon.

Net spend overview (Aug 15 update) -

Acquisitions
      £72,00m → Nicolas Pépé (Lille - installments)
      £27,00m → William Saliba (Saint-Étienne - installments)
      £24,30m → Kieran Tierney (Celtic)
      £ 8,00m → David Luiz (Chelsea)
      £ 6,03m → Gabriel Martinelli (Ituano)
      = £137.33m

Sales
      £35,0m → Alex Iwobi (Everton)
      £7,38m → Krystian Bielik (Derby County)
      £4,60m → Laurent Koscielny (Bordeaux)
      £4,35m → Ismaël Bennacer (sell-on clause: 30% of the fee from his £14.5m transfer from Milan to Empoli)
      £3,15m → David Ospina (Napoli)
      £3,00m → Dominic Thompson (Brentford)
      £2,30m → Jeff Reine-Adélaïde (sell-on clause: 10% of the fee from his £23.1m transfer from Angers to Lyon)
      £2,25m → Xavier Amaechi (Hamburger SV)
      £2,00m → Carl Jenkinson (Nottingham Forest)
      £0,90m → Takuma Asano (Partizan Belgrade)
      = £64,93m

Net spend
      £137,33m
      £ 64,93m
      ‾ ¯¯¯¯¯¯
      = £72.40m

*Figures are exclusive of wages and agent fees.

If installments are ignored that looks pretty much accurate, I think.
A huge outlay - £72m net. About the same as last year and a bit less than 3 seasons ago.
If we can continue with the same high levels of investment in the playing staff as we've had over the last 5 years, we cold be a in a position to have completely got rid of Wenger players in 3 more years. Then 1 or 2 seasons to really start challenging for the title.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zedie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am

jayramfootball wrote:

Acquisitions
      = £137.33m

Sales
      £4,35m → Ismaël Bennacer (sell-on clause: 30% of the fee from his £14.5m transfer from Milan to Empoli)
      £2,30m → Jeff Reine-Adélaïde (sell-on clause: 10% of the fee from his £23.1m transfer from Angers to Lyon)
      = £64,93m

Net spend
      £137,33m
      £ 64,93m
      ‾ ¯¯¯¯¯¯
      = £72.40m

A huge outlay - £72m net. About the same as last year and a bit less than 3 seasons ago.
If we can continue with the same high levels of investment in the playing staff as we've had over the last 5 years, we cold be a in a position to have completely got rid of Wenger players in 3 more years. Then 1 or 2 seasons to really start challenging for the title.

What happened to the 10 year plan?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am

Zedie wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Acquisitions
      = £137.33m

Sales
      = £64,93m

Net spend
      £137,33m
      £ 64,93m
      ‾ ¯¯¯¯¯¯
      = £72.40m

What happened to the 10 year plan?

I said 5-10 years, I think.
10 is probably more realistic, but I am more optimistic after a truly brilliant transfer window. Much better player selection.
I am also confident Kroenke will continue to spend big money as he has done since the day he took over the club.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am

Zedie wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:I wonder if this is accurate. It's from the Sun.

Probably about right. Bit of an issue next summer if we dont sell anyone as that'll mean 10m to spend as a down payment if we are to stick to 45m net.

Highly unlikely though.

Like I said earlier, sell:

Mkhi
Ozil
mustafi
Luiz
Xhaka

in jan/july 2020 and we can have a trophy winning team in another season or 2.

We need to go as hard as possible before our targets start aligning with other clubs needs.

City are stacked at the mo but will be replacing silva, aguero and their older players soon plus a LB If zinchenko doesnt work out

Liverpool have taken a year off so will strengthen for sure next summer

Spurs will need new FBs soon

Chelsea wont have spent for a year so will go hard

Man u have more money than sense

This season is a great time to go hard and we should be trying again in jan/summer

It's easy to say sell but nobody wants them on the salaries we pay - look at next summer

Mkhi - next summer he will be 31, have one year left on his contract on 180k a week ... pay salary to get rid if we can
Ozil - next summer he will be 31, have one year left on his contract on 350k a week ... pay salary to get rid if we can
mustafi - next summer he will be 28, have one year left on his contract on 90k a week ... maybe 20m
Luiz - next summer he will be 33, have one year left on his contract at ????k a week ... maybe 5m
Xhaka - - next summer he will be 27, have three year left on his contract at 180k a week ... maybe 35m more if he has a good season but if he does then why sell?

That's five regular starters who could be gone, two with us probably having to pay for them to leave the other three maybe 60m ... hardly a win for us they will all need replacing and we will still need defenders as well.

Next summer the other big five will all have money to spend, City have zero players out of contract but no doubt will look to replace Aguero, Otamendi and probably Walker with expensive back ups. Utd will have 200m just because they generate such huge income, Spurs will lose Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertongen if they haven't already, Chelsea will be back from the transfer ban, and Liverpool will have realised they're short of a few squad players ...

With us having so many ageing players with just one or two years left on their contracts as you say it's going to be a sellers market. Let's hope we go deep in all the cups to get those tills rolling.

Be pragmatic and reduce their asking price, thus making the package more acceptable to the buyer.

Do the maths, taking their wages off the books for those years alone is enough to pay half their replacement fee.

Mkhi we got for free ffs. If it falls short put in private funds allowed within FFP and structure deals like we have.

You're telling me no one in world football would take

Mustafi 10m
Ozil 20m
Monreal 5m
Xhaka 20m

=

55m

Add 30m

=

85m

You lot conveniently forget we bid 70m for upamenco near deadline day. We were ready to smash the 60m net spend we already committed to.

Theres more than enough money there to replace the rest of the deadwood.

Theres not really an excuse no matter how some people ignore it.

Zedie, you’re making out it’s such a simple process to offload contracted players. But look at the Gareth Bale saga and you’ll see if a player doesn’t want to go, they don’t go! Regardless of whether we offered out Ozil on a free( for example), he likes London, (well, used to!) loves his salary and wants to stay. The club’s hands are tied.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:53 am

Zedie wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Zedie wrote:So you're not going to discuss the point? Thought so.

Yawn.
i think you are just looking for attention at this point, you're not my type Zedie, sorry.

Not looking for attention. I posed a sinple question and expected a simple answer that you seem to keep doging with ever increasing flimsy off topic responses.

It's not difficult. Would you prefer to keep xhaka mkhi ozil monreal and play them this year or have replaced them because it could have happened if we sold them and / or put money in as required.

Guess you on the side that thinks they're good enough then

Oversimplification as you know, selling Ozil and Mkhi on high wages is not easy. That said I still support Ozil and don't want him sold, I want the manager to use him effectively. Xhaka and Monreal I would've sold immediately but we didnt. As has been pointed out it is not realistic or wise to sell half a team in a single transfer window. So based on who we sold and who we brought in I am satisfied.

Mkhi has been underwhelming but he is still here so hopefully we can get something out of him this season.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:As for Mkhi and Ozil both are on high wages and so not many if any clubs want to pay that, I'm willing to give them both a chance this season anyway, I'm starting to just get used to our bench being stacked to the hilt, makes a nice change and we may need both of them to help us get over the line in multiple competitiions.

Wouldn't compare a bonafide great player like Ozil to someone who's had as little impact as Mkhi here.

Ozil's high wages isn't as big an issue per se. After Donreal, he's our second longest serving senior player. Mkhi's wages is an issue as he has shown nowhere the class to warrant being paid as much as he is.

I'd stop lumping them in the same category.

I know we have issues with Xhaka, Mustafi, and Mkhi. But it's disrespectful to Ozil to be classified amongst them. Ozil is as big an icon we've had in the Emirates era. I would argue that it's not arguable.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ESR10 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Angelito wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:As for Mkhi and Ozil both are on high wages and so not many if any clubs want to pay that, I'm willing to give them both a chance this season anyway, I'm starting to just get used to our bench being stacked to the hilt, makes a nice change and we may need both of them to help us get over the line in multiple competitiions.

Wouldn't compare a bonafide great player like Ozil to someone who's had as little impact as Mkhi here.

Ozil's high wages isn't as big an issue per se. After Donreal, he's our second longest serving senior player. Mkhi's wages is an issue as he has shown nowhere the class to warrant being paid as much as he is.

I know we have issues with Xhaka, Mustafi, and Mkhi. But it's disrespectful to Ozil to be classified amongst them. Ozil is as big an icon we've had in the Emirates era. I would argue that it's not arguable.

This
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby KT3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Think the team still need a physical/athletic CM and a CB.

Something like Ndidi with Upamecano or Ruben Dias.
KT3
Liam Brady

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Angelito wrote:

I was referring to Zedie suggesting they should have been sold this summer.

It doesn't matter how you feel about either of them, the issue of selling them if that's what AFC wanted to do is the same issue ........... their high wages.

Hence why they're lumped together and will continue to be on this subject.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 pm

I think the Ozil and Mkhitaryan comparisons are fair. The former has obviously had more of an impact at Arsenal, but he's also on around 150k p/w more than the latter. Both are players we're paying huge amounts to and are clearly not getting our money's worth from. I hope they can both turn things around and become important members of this team but right now their salaries are not justified when you look at their performances last season.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:54 pm

But Ozil's shirt sales offset his wages somewhat we have been told. Did anyone buy a Mkhi shirt?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 pm

theHotHead wrote:But Ozil's shirt sales offset his wages somewhat we have been told. Did anyone buy a Mkhi shirt?

We make bugger all from shirt sales. That money all goes to the kit manufacturer, aside from a tiny percentage.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:13 pm

theHotHead wrote:But Ozil's shirt sales offset his wages somewhat we have been told. Did anyone buy a Mkhi shirt?

Either way it doesn't change the comparison.

Its not about the player per se its the situation of not being able to sell either due to inflated wages.

Both are over paid hence why no clubs want to take that on.

As I said though, I'd like to keep both of them to help ensure CL football, Mkhy more for the 2nd string and Ozil for either or which ever he's needed for based on performance.

My view is we stack ourselves so there is no excuses not to take this season to the wire full steam and get that fkin top 4 / Europa trophy.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk