Arsenal's Financial Situation

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby Gordon Bennit » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:31 am

The players have power and this would be a great time to use the positive side of it, backed by Arteta and his staff. Not that it should be up to them, just be lovely to see it.

The whole thing stinks and is a PR disaster of course, but also one which sees a little more of the Arsenal class eroded. More importantly (and I don't know what wages they were on, or what, if any, renumeration they will receive) there's an awful lot of people out of work, people who have families, bills and mortgages. Out of work in one of the shittiest times to be looking for a job in a century. I did see a figure of £3 million annually which the Rwanda tourism money could have been used for.

Saving a few million a year for Arsenal is like a chubmeister having a diet Coke with their Bargain Bucket. Shameful.
Good old Arsenal, we're proud to say that name
Gordon Bennit
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gooney » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:22 am

I really don’t want to hear another Arsenal fan talk about how classy Arsenal football club is.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:58 am

Well I was happy enough when our manager was taking bungs, our alcoholic captain was locked up for drink driving and we were docked points for a brawl in a game vs Utd.

Class is overrated and doesn't win games. Just look at our disciplinary record when Wenger was winning stuff!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Phil71 wrote:If the club want to restructure then fine. If the roles people are in really are redundant then fine. An employer can't be expected to keep someone in a job if there's no job to do.

But to blame the redundancies on Covid19, and to say it is being done so that the club can invest in the team is a public relations disaster.

This - to claim a club that turns over 400m can't afford 55 staff whilst offering to sign a 32 year old on >100k a week? - that's just bollocks.

The fact is having our own scouting team is a waste of time, we are not alone in thinking this, in house scouting has been reduced massively by dozens of clubs across Europe, with kids as young as ten having agents scouts no longer have a purpose, you can't "discover" a player when he is already being promoted to every club in Europe by an agent ... it's a bit like having a guy knock on your door asking if you've heard of the new pizza after you've already had a dozen flyers stuffed through the letter box and seen 500 google adds ... it simply no longer adds value. If you then consider that agents now run their own scouting networks (often using the same people paid for by clubs) then you just don't need your own scouts anymore.

Arsenal's problem as usual is the PR department - literary days after an FA Cup win all that joy is sucked out of the club by this inept press release and incredibly bad timing ... people get made redundant it happens, but to hide behind Covid? that just sucks.

Definitely the role of a scout has changed, but they are by no means redundant. Look at our recent signings - Guendouzi, Martinelli for example. Look at Mahrez and Kante who Leicester signed not too long ago. None of them for big money. You just need to dig a little deeper to unearth the gems.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 am

Quite pleased to see radical changes at the club.
As well as the scouts, our medical team needs an overhaul.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 am

Love how we’re also about to announce Auba on 250k+ about 3 days after this as well. Talk about PR disaster.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 am

jayramfootball wrote:Quite pleased to see radical changes at the club.
As well as the scouts, our medical team needs an overhaul.

Our medical team has been p good, a large amount of our injuries have been pretty severe bone/ligament damage which they can’t do anything about

Our head physio has gone to Liverpool & our club doctor was on the verge of going their too before Arteta convinced him to stay - so they must be pretty good
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 am

As an Arsenal fan I cant support this

As a union member I cant support this

As a man I cant support this.

Totally unacceptable. Announce the sacking of 55 people, many on normal working salaries, and in the same week announce millions spent on wages for millionaires?

f**k this.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 am

UFGN wrote:As an Arsenal fan I cant support this

Totally unacceptable. Announce the sacking of 55 people, many on normal working salaries, and in the same week announce millions spent on wages for millionaires?

f**k this.

If those people are not required, why is it a problem to sack them?
I get the human aspect to it and it's sad for those people (I hope they find other jobs quickly), but since when does a business have an obligation to retain staff it does not need?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am

jayramfootball wrote:

f**k this.

I get the human aspect to it and it's sad for those people (I hope they find other jobs quickly), but since when does a business have an obligation to retain staff it does not need?

I agree with this, but the excuse used that it's so that the club can continue to strengthen the team is a pathetic PR disaster.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 am

jayramfootball wrote:

f**k this.

They are claiming its for financial reasons on the same f***ing day that theyre planning to spend millions of pounds on wages for millionaires. Its indefensible.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby PairyGrows » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 am

After a year and a half of me starting this thread, as well as worrying for the club's financial position for years before that, I must say the recent developments at Arsenal have come as no surprise to me. Nevertheless, I haven't been any less demoralised by reading Arsenal-related news. Things have taken an expected turn for the worse.

The wage cuts and the recent redundancy calls of 55 employees have indeed not surprised me. One does not simply pay Champions League wages during a four-year absence from the Champions League and not experience a huge financial blow. In fact, some of the cost-cutting measures would likely have had to be taken even without the pandemic. Now, however, the club can hide behind the pandemic and distract from the errors they themselves have made.

In some sense, the pandemic has impacted the club even worse than we think. It seems to encourage the club to absolve themselves from responsibility and prevent much-needed self-reflection. Unless we change our ways, we'll continue to sink even further.

Sadly, it is very difficult to be optimistic about the future of Arsenal.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am

UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

f**k this.

They are claiming its for financial reasons on the same f***ing day that theyre planning to spend millions of pounds on wages for millionaires. Its indefensible.

Not sure I follow. It can still be for financial reasons... not sure why spending on players changes that.
The backroom staff on no judged on value in the same way that backroom staff are.
It's always a value decision - i.e. I pay you x, is he/she worth it, yes or no?

I do think the PR message was garbled. It's definitely NOT so we can invest in the first team, but if we get rid of cost by letting people who go who are not contributing, I can only see that as a positive for the club. Liek Isaid, awful for the people involved, but the club need to make the best decisions with the finances in mind.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:19 am

Tony Adams wrote:Well I was happy enough when our manager was taking bungs, our alcoholic captain was locked up for drink driving and we were docked points for a brawl in a game vs Utd.

Class is overrated and doesn't win games. Just look at our disciplinary record when Wenger was winning stuff!

We won 10 major trophies in 20 years. Finished in the top-4 each of those years. Reached the UCL Final.

But not once were we amidst a PR disaster-ride, which is becoming a norm since Sanllehi and Kia have taken over.

Being sneaky on the pitch and "tactical" fouling, or heated exchanges on the pitch, is absolutely fine when you are in major competitions under relentless stress and fatigue. It's not the same as acting like underhanded businesspeople serving their vested interests and making excuses about the pandemic to hide their ulterior motives.

It doesn't mean we have to act slimy and petty in order to win.

If the club had come out openly, stating that, for organizational reasons and in light of the new restructuring at Arsenal, they were laying off so and so employees, it wouldn't have drawn this negativity. Arsenal have enough money. They could easily have said that they would still pay the employees full salaries until December because of the unprecedented pandemic. It would have been a PR win.

After the second world war, we won 7 trophies until Graham arrived. So, I guess we were busy being classy for nearly four decades, is it? Graham won 7 trophies here. So, we were less classier than in the previous decades, but even less so than under Wenger who rocked the boat with doubles, Invincibles, record FA Cup wins, and European finals?

What the heck man?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:16 pm

It's unfortunate, but the players are what bring the team more revenue, not those 55 people, so you have to still invest in the team to get out of this financial rut. Would people feel better if we didn't announce signings at all, so their feelings weren't hurt? I get it, it sucks for those 55 people, but life goes on. I would imagine those 55 people would understand since they worked there. The fans don't pay money to go see them, they pay to see world class athletes, and world class athletes are what is going to bring in more money.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk