Arsenal's Financial Situation

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:37 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote: In fairness, my heart does not rule my head - it just tells me what is right and wrong. None of these sports people should be earning the money they are. I say that because it costs a fortune to watch sports. We do it as fans because we are emotionally engaged to an extent that is far beyond any other 'product'.
I do not think sports is going to change back to being - well - sport ever again. It's all business and the fans are the ones exploited. No one can tell me it is right in any society that a footballer is paid hundreds of thousands a week whilst fans are paying a small fortune (and high percentage of their income) on attending football matches and buying TV packages.
My heart tells me that the money is obscene - in a society that seems to undervalue real contribution and pay peanuts to people that deserve far more.
My head tells me that is the way it is and is not going to change.
Like I said, sport has become a drug pushed by big business and we are the addicts.

So would you ban all 'expensive' items? no more first class travel, no luxury cars, no houses over 100,000, no 5 star hotels? To pick on football seems a bit limited, enjoyed both playing and watching by a huge chunk of the world's population, who cares if a few dozen players make a lot of money when they bring such pleasure and pain to millions.

If you are a true communist who believes everyone should receive exactly the same then fair enough - but if that's true why are you posting on a website only accessible to the wealthiest 60% of people with internet access? isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Just exactly how are being exploited? are you forced to be a fan?

I think your last sentence is off the mark. We don't choose to be fans. That's the point. It's not possible to just stop being a fan. That is why we are exploited.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:13 am

Jayram lets go support Barnet, they're a bit cheaper to follow.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Santi wrote:Jayram lets go support Barnet, they're a bit cheaper to follow.

Well exactly - the proposition is a non-starter. Not the same at all the choice as, say, deciding which brand of TV to buy.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Jedi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:56 pm

I've never spent a penny on Arsenal and i never will...
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Santi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:22 pm

thats pretty weird ngl
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:06 pm

Why? I only just bought my first shirt a few weeks ago after being a fan for nearly 18 years

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:20 pm

well bit easier for you foreign lot without going to games but odd to support the team for so long n not buy any single piece of merch or memorabilia.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:27 am

Santi wrote:well bit easier for you foreign lot without going to games but odd to support the team for so long n not buy any single piece of merch or memorabilia.

I was going to buy something for the EL final but I got outbid on the Serbian version of eBay. Glad I didn't after how it went.

I like to say It's because I have more important things to spend my money on but the main reason is probably my outlook on sports fans in general. There's a part of me that cringes every time I hear someone say "we" (foreign fans especially) when talking about the club, even though I often do it myself for simplicity's sake. Arsenal is a huge organization based in London owned by an American billionaire that has nothing to do with me. I'm not on the board making the decisions or on the pitch shooting the ball into the net. I'm just one of the millions of ants watching the game. So who am I to rep the merch and take pride in the achievements of the club?

Over the years, as I've progressed mentally, I feel less and less like I'm part of the club and more like someone who is simply rooting for the club and admires the history and the football on display. It's no longer we, It's me supporting them. Don't get me wrong, I'm still emotionally attached and I screamed when Auba slotted in that 2nd goal vs Chelsea but when I think about it rationally, my support for Arsenal should be no different than the support for some TV character in Game Of Thrones or something like that.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:25 am

I want to call out Ozim for a couple of top posts. I seem to be quoting him a lot in disagreements but on this I agree with him completely. :clap:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:28 am

I stung by brother (Man U fan) and cousin (Liverpool fan) into shame years ago, always harping on about how they are fans of their clubs but never went to a game or even bought a a scarf !! They claimed it was easy for me to go to Arsenal .. then I reminded them about the away games I had been to, travelling around the country, that shut them up.

Now my bro can run up his mouth because he finally went to a game at Old Toilet, Carling Cup game, and my cousin got a freebie ticket from a steward to go watch Liverpool at Anfield. Pair of frauds !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Jedi wrote:
Santi wrote:well bit easier for you foreign lot without going to games but odd to support the team for so long n not buy any single piece of merch or memorabilia.

I was going to buy something for the EL final but I got outbid on the Serbian version of eBay. Glad I didn't after how it went.

I like to say It's because I have more important things to spend my money on but the main reason is probably my outlook on sports fans in general. There's a part of me that cringes every time I hear someone say "we" (foreign fans especially) when talking about the club, even though I often do it myself for simplicity's sake. Arsenal is a huge organization based in London owned by an American billionaire that has nothing to do with me. I'm not on the board making the decisions or on the pitch shooting the ball into the net. I'm just one of the millions of ants watching the game. So who am I to rep the merch and take pride in the achievements of the club?

Over the years, as I've progressed mentally, I feel less and less like I'm part of the club and more like someone who is simply rooting for the club and admires the history and the football on display. It's no longer we, It's me supporting them. Don't get me wrong, I'm still emotionally attached and I screamed when Auba slotted in that 2nd goal vs Chelsea but when I think about it rationally, my support for Arsenal should be no different than the support for some TV character in Game Of Thrones or something like that.

lol worked out good for you in the end, imagine your first memorabilia being for that final :D

I understand your view a little bit, logically you're right, but do you have any Serbian teams you follow? Are you the same way with them? I don't think the attachment for local/foreign fans is really any different outside the actual attending games but just wondering if you feel a difference in either case.

As for equating it to a TV show, I wouldn't go that far. Maybe the way football is going that's how it will become, but it's definitely more like a hobby for most in my view and a cult for some (hello :arse fan: ). I've definitely felt a little less crazy and emotionally involved the last few years, partly due to growing up and partly due to the terrible way our club has been run, yet at the same time had some of the best moments and feelings following this club (Valencia away was incredible). Put it this way, I wouldn't spend 4k a year following my favourite tv show round different filming locations and watch them live.

Never really thought of it your way til now tbh, for me Arsenal is one of the greatest things on this earth and I will talk about them as 'we' since fans feel part of the club. Guess it's just different views but I can't imagine going to the ground without a shirt or scarf to show my support, let alone supporting for 10+ years without a single Arsenal item. Even watching in the pub with mates we always wear our shirts :lol:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:28 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I remember when I first came on this forum I suggested wage caps and/or transfer caps, and I pretty much got told that it was just a stupid American thing. Now I see some are starting to see the light. :)

Only works in the US because sport is all played in a closed shop - a gang of twenty Kronke's decide everything - to compare that to world wide football is like comparing NASCAR Racing to F1 sure it might look similar with cars going around and around, but scratch the surface and the comparison soon disappears.

Football is the world game - Auba can go and get his 100k a week at any club on the planet - if you limit Arsenal to a salary cap of 50k a week we wouldn't have Auba or any top class players, let alone any world class ones ... football operates in a free market environment, the NFL and NBA are USA only closed shop playthings for their rich owners ... there is simply no realistic comparison.

Pushing for a 'closed shop' is exactly what owners like Kronke and the Glaziers want - 25 clubs in a European League with no relegation gives them guaranteed profit every year - that's what they want but it's not what we want. It is as you suggest a very Stupid American Thing you just don't understand why.

FYI - Arsenal were once guaranteed a place in any US style closed shop European league, we aren't anymore ... you want that?

I've only said that it needs to be world wide 1000 times, and I'm not comparing it to any American sport. You literally just made a bunch of wrong assumptions.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:26 pm

Santi wrote:lol worked out good for you in the end, imagine your first memorabilia being for that final :D

I understand your view a little bit, logically you're right, but do you have any Serbian teams you follow? Are you the same way with them? I don't think the attachment for local/foreign fans is really any different outside the actual attending games but just wondering if you feel a difference in either case.

As for equating it to a TV show, I wouldn't go that far. Maybe the way football is going that's how it will become, but it's definitely more like a hobby for most in my view and a cult for some (hello :arse fan: ). I've definitely felt a little less crazy and emotionally involved the last few years, partly due to growing up and partly due to the terrible way our club has been run, yet at the same time had some of the best moments and feelings following this club (Valencia away was incredible). Put it this way, I wouldn't spend 4k a year following my favourite tv show round different filming locations and watch them live.

Never really thought of it your way til now tbh, for me Arsenal is one of the greatest things on this earth and I will talk about them as 'we' since fans feel part of the club. Guess it's just different views but I can't imagine going to the ground without a shirt or scarf to show my support, let alone supporting for 10+ years without a single Arsenal item. Even watching in the pub with mates we always wear our shirts :lol:

I don't really support any local teams because the football here is filled with corruption and hooligans. Not all of it is bad but the guys at the top level of the Serbian FA and the club executives are all criminals that have embezzled millions on transfers and other shady dealings. There are also certain factions in the fanbases which are ultranationalist and have insane political power. They're essentially hooligan militias that are paid off by the state. However, all of that aside, the main problem for me is that the football is f***ing terrible. We don't even televise most of it.

As far as the distinction between foreign/local fans go i don't think it matters for most people. Its just me being a very cynical person that tends to look at everything through a lense of materialism. I can't help but see the average foreign fan as nothing more than a customer that's been manipulated into thinking he's part of something greater so that he spends money on the club and promotes their brand. It's kind of similar to the criticism levelled at organized religion.

The irony in all of this is that despite everything i just said i still watch every game and I post daily on this forum. And i still care even though I can't justify it logically. I guess i just enjoy football and i root for Arsenal and I'm fine with that. But I definitely no longer see myself as "part" of the club. However, I don't see myself as part of Nike either yet I have their sneakers. I guess the only reason I haven't bought merch is that I'm f***ing lazy. Maybe it's time to get a kit. :arse fan:
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 pm

what jedi is saying makes sense. i feel like a lot of fans who aren't from the city / area of the team they support don't really bother buying gear because you really don't have that same connection as someone who is able to go watch their team at home or travel with the boys to away games. you see that a lot here in america where "soccer" has gained a lot of momentum the past 10 years especially in bars and you will see ppl saying oh i support arsenal or man u, but don't have gear and aren't that invested into it.
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Zenith » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:13 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk