Arsenal's Financial Situation

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arsenal's Financial Crisis

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Zenith wrote:Allowing pretty much all our most valuable players to run down their contracts has cost us dearly in recent years.

Over the last 5 years, selling low and buying high has taken us to being the 6th highest net spenders in world football.

For reference, Real Madrid, Atlétcio Madrid, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern Munich don't even make the top 10 while Juventus (8th) and Inter (9th) also have a lower net spend than Arsenal.

Wenger and his team really messed up here and the ownership were careless. But what's cost us the most imo is our irrational persistence with the self-sustaining model because had there been a huge injection of cash into the squad around the time the usual suspects were doing it, we would have had better and more assets to sell, most likely more revenue from doing better in competitions with the improved squad, and, in turn, more control over how we managed our assets. The last couple of years have been dreadful from a financial perspective and we’re either going to need revolutionary coaching methods and/or maximum investments to right all the wrongs of the last couple of seasons.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby PairyGrows » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:19 pm

There won't be cash injections into the club. Period. All we can hope is that either Emery works wonders with the bad hand he's been dealt or at least two top six go through major meltdowns, allowing us to sneak back into the top four.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby VCC » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:52 pm

what Financial crisis!!, the position we are currently taking financially is by choice by the owner, the fact that the business is a football club has no relevance it is only th profit margin the owner seeks as long as the club makes a profit he wouldn't care what league he played in
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:43 am

The problems at Arsenal are fundamentally different from all our main rivals ....

We experienced huge increases in income from the stadium and share value in the first years of the Emirates 2006-2009 .... at the same time we increased our ticket prices to way above those of our rivals, again maximizing our income. For reasons only they understand the shareholders, directors and management decided not to invest this new income into the playing squad but to expand our cost base in non-football personnel, wages, debt payments and building a cash war-chest. We became the model for self-sustaining clubs, Wonger and soon Gazidis were heralded as financial geniuses all was right with our world.

But this policy was wrong, very, very wrong ...

When you buy assets at a price and those assets then appreciate in value, any collector or investor will want to acquire as many assets as possible. Football is a bit more complicated that collecting stamps, because in football those assets are players who need to stay healthy, require wages, and get old ... so there's a balance in buying young, paying the right salaries, and selling at prime price or at least selling before all value is lost. But the principle is the same as stamp collecting buy lots, buy cheap, sell high.

Of course you also need a collection of player as good or better than all your rivals ... hence we have the transfer market.

For a decade or more our transfer policy has been flawed we've paid to much for average players, overpaid in wages, and allowed players to leave cheap or even for free ... we are so far out of line with our rivals it's ridiculous ...

We've spent net more on players since 2006 than all but Utd and City, we've spent more on salaries than all but Utd and Chelsea, however we've made less selling our players than nearly half the clubs in the EPL ...

We have received the 3rd highest income yet seen our annual profits steadily decrease, until right now we are looking at our first loss in living memory ... and it get's worse we had the 1st or 2nd highest value squad all through the Arsenal v Utd years, now we have a squad valued at 50% of Man City, valued below Liverpool, Chelsea. Spurs, and Utd so just what's gone wrong?

Well it's pretty simple .... we maximized our revenue in 2006 since then, whilst we haves seen massive increases in line with our rivals on TV deals, all our other income streams have just increased at an inflationary rate marketing, match-day, catering all just ticking along. At the same time three new top six rivals have seen those income streams grow massively City, Liverpool, Spurs all seeing revenue jump by over 100% in a decade ... and Man Utd have remained Man Utd with such a massive income that it still just about supports their miss-management, ours no longer does.

So bottom line when we were had our chance, when we were ten years ahead of our rivals we failed to convert that into squad value, now the game has caught up we are making little or no profit, whilst our new rivals are now making over 100m .... and worst of all we have a broken squad and beleaguered management with no resources to fix that ... it's the mother of all clusterfucks the perfect storm of mistakes.

What can we do? Even if he wanted to Kroenke can't put in the 100m a year needed to keep up with our rivals, not that he probably would anyway, so what else can we do ...

We need to start buying cheap and selling high, not one or two players but ten or fifteen a season just like all our rivals do, we need to cut out the deadwood the players on high salaries who just don't deliver, we need to manage contracts ruthlessly, no more running down value, and we need to sell players for top price Bale, Coutinho, Ronaldo all clubs do that it hurts but it needs doing ...

Of course we can recover we're a huge London club in the biggest league in the world with all the fundemental bits to be successful ... after a decade of doing it wrong getting it right again will be a long, slow process it will require us to keep the faith because chances are it's getting worse before it gets better ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am

The thing is that English football is more competitive than it's ever been. If we don't get it right soon, the damage may become permanent.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:52 am

If someone told me that after we'd been at the Emirates for ten years we'd be struggling to buy players from Celtic and Crystal Palace I would never have believed it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Phil71 wrote:If someone told me that after we'd been at the Emirates for ten years we'd be struggling to buy players from Celtic and Crystal Palace I would never have believed it.

Nobody knew matchday revenue would lose its relevance compared to sponsorship and broadcast revenues. We didn't keep up with the times.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:33 pm

PairyGrows wrote:
Phil71 wrote:If someone told me that after we'd been at the Emirates for ten years we'd be struggling to buy players from Celtic and Crystal Palace I would never have believed it.

Nobody knew matchday revenue would lose its relevance compared to sponsorship and broadcast revenues. We didn't keep up with the times.

But that should surely mean we would still be in a much stronger position than Celtic and Palace.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:05 am

Phil71 wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:

But that should surely mean we would still be in a much stronger position than Celtic and Palace.

We would be if we hadn't destroyed our profitability by allowing players to run down their contracts and giving out ridiculous contracts.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:51 am

PairyGrows wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:

We would be if we hadn't destroyed our profitability by allowing players to run down their contracts and giving out ridiculous contracts.

True, what a sad state we are in, we have players that don't warrant £50 a week and we are paying them a fortune thanks to the senile one. :BangHead:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:54 pm

I apologise for resurrecting what seems to be a dead thread. However, in light of the recent developments pertaining Arsenal's financial position, I feel it's only appropriate to bring up the topic again. Somewhat unsurprisingly, the developments have been overwhelmingly negative for the club.

Several media outlets reported on Arsenal's financial figures for the 2018-19 season on Saturday December 7th, 2019. The figures, although startling, didn't come as a surprise to me: Arsenal reported a whopping drop of £30m (from £99m to £69m) in matchday revenue and a pre-tax loss of £23.5m. We didn't make a substantial profit on player transfers, which accounted for the profit we made in 2017-18. Our cash reserve had depleted by more than 50 percent from £231m at the end of 2017-18 to £107m at the end of 2018-19.

The financial report confirmed what most of us knew already: without Champions League football, we're simply unable to operate a profitable business without either trimming costs or increasing revenues by selling players. The easy way to do both is to sell players: we may simply sell the players who are running down their contracts (Aubameyang, Lacazette), replace them with a fraction of the cost and pay their replacements lower wages. Of course, this creates a downward spiral where the quality of our squad deteriorates, thus further weakening our chances of getting back into the Champions League.

All in all, the longer we take to get back into the Champions League, the harder it will be to recover. Keeping in mind the fact that we're committed to self-sufficiency, at some point the damage will become permanent, and we'll remain a mid-table side forever. Unfortunately, this is the future Arsenal face.

I don't see how we can reverse our course.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Ach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 pm

Arsenal's summer transfer plans have been dealt a £60m blow following the club's last-32 exit from the Europa League. (Sun)

What's happened to all our money?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:27 pm

Unless we fluke a title like Leicester it's goodnight Vienna.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:58 pm

PairyGrows wrote:I apologise for resurrecting what seems to be a dead thread. However, in light of the recent developments pertaining Arsenal's financial position, I feel it's only appropriate to bring up the topic again. Somewhat unsurprisingly, the developments have been overwhelmingly negative for the club.

Several media outlets reported on Arsenal's financial figures for the 2018-19 season on Saturday December 7th, 2019. The figures, although startling, didn't come as a surprise to me: Arsenal reported a whopping drop of £30m (from £99m to £69m) in matchday revenue and a pre-tax loss of £23.5m. We didn't make a substantial profit on player transfers, which accounted for the profit we made in 2017-18. Our cash reserve had depleted by more than 50 percent from £231m at the end of 2017-18 to £107m at the end of 2018-19.

The financial report confirmed what most of us knew already: without Champions League football, we're simply unable to operate a profitable business without either trimming costs or increasing revenues by selling players. The easy way to do both is to sell players: we may simply sell the players who are running down their contracts (Aubameyang, Lacazette), replace them with a fraction of the cost and pay their replacements lower wages. Of course, this creates a downward spiral where the quality of our squad deteriorates, thus further weakening our chances of getting back into the Champions League.

All in all, the longer we take to get back into the Champions League, the harder it will be to recover. Keeping in mind the fact that we're committed to self-sufficiency, at some point the damage will become permanent, and we'll remain a mid-table side forever. Unfortunately, this is the future Arsenal face.

I guess it will be by selling off someone like Auba, clearing out some CBs like Luis and rebuilding with our youth and buying at least three defenders/CMs. Not that I want to see Auba go, but we can't have anymore Ramsey or RVP situations. In truth it will take a few years but even waiting to see what the side looks like next August will be interesting. A front line of Saka, Pepe, and Nketiah/Martinelli supported by a creative CM like Caballos or Soler and a new pairing at CB of Mari and Saliba would be affordable and should develop into a great side with a couple more years of experience.

It's all part of a life long journey supporting the club.

That said, more and more players will be running contracts down to gain negotiating power. In US sports every good player runs their contracts out and use free agency. I sure would.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:21 am

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:I apologise for resurrecting what seems to be a dead thread. However, in light of the recent developments pertaining Arsenal's financial position, I feel it's only appropriate to bring up the topic again. Somewhat unsurprisingly, the developments have been overwhelmingly negative for the club.

I guess it will be by selling off someone like Auba, clearing out some CBs like Luis and rebuilding with our youth and buying at least three defenders/CMs. Not that I want to see Auba go, but we can't have anymore Ramsey or RVP situations. In truth it will take a few years but even waiting to see what the side looks like next August will be interesting. A front line of Saka, Pepe, and Nketiah/Martinelli supported by a creative CM like Caballos or Soler and a new pairing at CB of Mari and Saliba would be affordable and should develop into a great side with a couple more years of experience.

It's all part of a life long journey supporting the club.

That said, more and more players will be running contracts down to gain negotiating power. In US sports every good player runs their contracts out and use free agency. I sure would.

We are not poor but we are like a household with maxed-out credit cards and a monthly budget that has nothing left over, we can no longer go out and spend 200m not because we can't raise the money, no doubt we can, but because we can't afford the monthly bills.

At a time when at least three of our main rivals will have money to burn - Liverpool, Utd, Spurs - and who knows with City? - we will have the difficult task of either selling our best players or watching them leave on a free in twelve months ... so as a business why keep them? will this squad be a top four squad next season? do we pay out 50m in salaries whilst losing 150m in player value next summer? That's 200m we won't have in the bank next summer ... or do we go full transition accept that like Liverpool, Spurs and even Man Utd that our rebuild will be several seasons not a quick fix, and so go into the market for cheaper players who will be peaking in three or four years time ... that's a tough ask because every other club started doing this three years ago ... but we have to at least compete ... ageing short term in it for the money players ... are we now West Ham?

We gambled on CL this season, and that is looking a very long shot, can we afford to do it again next season and risk everything?
Last edited by EliteKiller on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk