Arsenal's Financial Situation

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arsenal's Financial Situation

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:51 am

Get rid of Raul and that will provide enough money to save the 55 jobs.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:06 am

Tony Adams wrote:The anti-thesis of Wenger's Arsenal maybe. All this doing things 'the right way' was getting us nowhere (on or off the pitch).

To me I see someone who can get transfers over the line. Lets not forget the bungs scandal with Graham and I'm sure Dein was far from innocent too. I see Kia as being our new Dein and we haven't competed properly in the transfermarket or on the pitch since Dein left the club.

You can't compete in the transfer market when you have no money, which we didn't during '03-'13.

- Graham was sacked for the scandal.
- We have a net spend of £6m from '03 until '13 because we didn't have the money to spend, not because we didn't want to spend.
- We got Nasri, Arshavin, Ozil, Cazorla, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Podolski, Giroud, Monreal, Alexis, etc. after Dein left.
- Dein wasn't signing French and Spanish stars before Wenger either.
- Kia getting deals done is as legit as Donald Trump writing The Art of the Deal. Our transfers since Gazidis left:

Suarez (loan)
    Luiz (Kia)
    Pepe
    Tierney
    Ceballos (loan)
    Martinelli
    Soares (Kia)
    Mari
    Willian (Kia)

What's so earth-shattering about getting a mid-table full back, a 30+ CB who's past his best, and another 30+ winger who has never been world class in his career?

It's not like Kia is helping us sign world beaters. We're basically looking at players who are past their best.

The right way allows Kia and Raul to blow our cash reserves (emergency funds) that Wenger helped accumulate. The right way ensures that Arsenal keep running sustainably even in times or crisis, which clearly, this team is undermining for its own vested interests. The right way means that Arsenal are the only club where the owner has put zero money from his own pocket, yet still finished in the top-4 and still wins trophies.

The right way would be for the sole owner of Arsenal to invest his money into the club and contribute in the employment of Arsenal employees who earn pittance in contrast to the revenue this club generates on the back of those hard-working professionals.

The right way would be to expand our scouting networks instead of limiting it and handing all the keys of recruitment and transfers to a shady, money-laundering "agent."
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby greengoonerie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 am

So, with apparent anger, fury and disgust appearing to be the main emotions among the Arsenal community on foot of the 55 redundancies announced, what are YOU (the person) going to do to express your dissatisfaction with Arsenal on this?

1. Post here and do nothing else
2. use other social media to express outrage but do nothing else
3. post messages to official club outlets to express your outrage
4. email the club/owners/manager to show your dissatisfaction
5. write to the club/owners/manager to express your dissatisfaction
6. do nothing because "they won't listen to me anyway"
7. any other ideas

Seriously, if you say nothing, nothing will be done. If you express your dissatisfaction, it will at least demonstrate to Arsenal that they've made a huge mistake.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:16 am

Angelito wrote:It appears that these people are hell-bent on excluding Wenger players and professionals who were here during his time.

Good!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:55 am

If this latest announcement about redundancies is all about purging everything to do with Wenger from the club, then it is something that I support.
We have to eradicate the culture he created completely.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 am

Ornstein saying lots of player furious 55 staff are being sacked. Took salary hits on the understanding this would not happen.

Ozil vindicated ?

https://theathletic.com/1977120/2020/08 ... -betrayed/
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Sims » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 pm

Senior scouts who operated in France, Belgium, Spain, Italy & Germany also been made redundant
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:17 pm

My guess is most of them will be in the retail part.

There's no doubt there will have been a natural downturn in footfall due to online shopping, and with Covid19 the shops will have done no business at all - and are unlikely to do much for the foreseeable future.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 pm

As much as I sympathise with the players, 12.5% (reduced to 7.5% after qualifying for the EL) was peanuts and they would have barely noticed it.

For me the pay cut was for the fact they were sitting at home earning huge fortunes but doing nothing for it.

Barca players agreed to take a 70% pay cut which is obviously a significant amount more.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:04 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Ornstein saying lots of player furious 55 staff are being sacked. Took salary hits on the understanding this would not happen.

Ozil vindicated ?

https://theathletic.com/1977120/2020/08 ... -betrayed/

It's quite simple - any player voicing concerns for how the club does it's business should be told to shut up or find another club.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Angelito wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:The anti-thesis of Wenger's Arsenal maybe. All this doing things 'the right way' was getting us nowhere (on or off the pitch).

To me I see someone who can get transfers over the line. Lets not forget the bungs scandal with Graham and I'm sure Dein was far from innocent too. I see Kia as being our new Dein and we haven't competed properly in the transfermarket or on the pitch since Dein left the club.

You can't compete in the transfer market when you have no money, which we didn't during '03-'13.

- We have a net spend of £6m from '03 until '13 because we didn't have the money to spend, not because we didn't want to spend.

Angelito, I'm not having this, the argument that we had no money to spend cuts no ice, especially when our wage bill kept rising. the problem with Arsenal was we didn't do good business, not that we had no money to spend. Lets look at how much we spent and what we gave away (not even going to include money we did make from player sales)!!

Money to spend
03/04 - £27m, 04/05 - £11.23m, 05/06 - £41.4m, 06/07 - £13.5m, 07/08 - £27.86m, 08/09 - £36.14m, 09/10 - £10.8m, 10/11 - £20.7m, 11/12 - £58.93m, 12/13 - £50.4m, 13/14 - £44.33m. During that time we picked up players like Ozil, Cazorla, Podolski, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Arshavin, Nasri, Sagna, Rosicky, Hleb, Adebayor, RVP, Reyes, Lehmann, Fabregas and Clichy. The most expensive player in the list is Ozil, at a whopping £42.5m. Anyone like to guess what our next highest purchase was ? £18m for Reyes. This tells us that we picked up plenty of good players at very good prices, we didn't need to break the bank. The problem is 3 fold, when you examine the money we spent on some players:

£12.5m on Oxo, £10.8m on Gervinho, £10.8m on Arteta, £6.3m on Santos, £5.85m on Chu Young Park, £5.85m on Squillaci, £10.8m on Vermaelen, £4.5m on Denilson, £10m on Walcott, £4.5m on Almunia (when RVP cost £4m in the same season!!), for example. The second issue is, during that time, we released lots of good players but got f**k all for them:

Van Bronkhurst (to Barca), Wiltord, Kanu, Pires, Sol Campbell, Arshavin to name a few, not to mention players we sold far too cheaply (Vieira to Juve for £18m!!). The 3rd issue is specifically not taking advantage of the free transfer system. Look at the players we got on free transfers FFS:

Sanogo, Flamini, Chamakh, Poom - yet we gave away the players I just listed above and a whole lot more for free.

We were not paupers during that time, we spent money, our wage bill rose like everyone else's, we just made too many bad decisions. For the players we were buying our wage bill should have fallen and, the cash reserves increasing year on year tells you we had money to spend, we just chose not to spend it.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:16 pm

I suppose this is another reminder of the fact that football clubs are businesses, as much as we dislike it. Like many other clubs, we have a shrewd business owner and he’s in it for the returns. I wonder whether this will be the first of a number of clubs to make redundancies? It’s happening across all industries so it shouldn’t necessarily be a surprise.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Great post Hot Head. Was going to post something similar but couldn't be bothered to do the research.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Angelito, I'm not having this, the argument that we had no money to spend cuts no ice, especially when our wage bill kept rising. the problem with Arsenal was we didn't do good business, not that we had no money to spend. Lets look at how much we spent and what we gave away (not even going to include money we did make from player sales)!!

Money to spend
03/04 - £27m, 04/05 - £11.23m, 05/06 - £41.4m, 06/07 - £13.5m, 07/08 - £27.86m, 08/09 - £36.14m, 09/10 - £10.8m, 10/11 - £20.7m, 11/12 - £58.93m, 12/13 - £50.4m, 13/14 - £44.33m. During that time we picked up players like Ozil, Cazorla, Podolski, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Arshavin, Nasri, Sagna, Rosicky, Hleb, Adebayor, RVP, Reyes, Lehmann, Fabregas and Clichy. The most expensive player in the list is Ozil, at a whopping £42.5m. Anyone like to guess what our next highest purchase was ? £18m for Reyes. This tells us that we picked up plenty of good players at very good prices, we didn't need to break the bank. The problem is 3 fold, when you examine the money we spent on some players:

£12.5m on Oxo, £10.8m on Gervinho, £10.8m on Arteta, £6.3m on Santos, £5.85m on Chu Young Park, £5.85m on Squillaci, £10.8m on Vermaelen, £4.5m on Denilson, £10m on Walcott, £4.5m on Almunia (when RVP cost £4m in the same season!!), for example. The second issue is, during that time, we released lots of good players but got f**k all for them:

Van Bronkhurst (to Barca), Wiltord, Kanu, Pires, Sol Campbell, Arshavin to name a few, not to mention players we sold far too cheaply (Vieira to Juve for £18m!!). The 3rd issue is specifically not taking advantage of the free transfer system. Look at the players we got on free transfers FFS:

Sanogo, Flamini, Chamakh, Poom - yet we gave away the players I just listed above and a whole lot more for free.

We were not paupers during that time, we spent money, our wage bill rose like everyone else's, we just made too many bad decisions. For the players we were buying our wage bill should have fallen and, the cash reserves increasing year on year tells you we had money to spend, we just chose not to spend it.
Jep good post.

It still annoys me till this day that we let cesc go for so cheap.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:20 pm

Blame our beloved Wenger for that

To actually go to the board and tell them to lower asking price for Cesc was disgraceful

Should've been sacked
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk