The Manager Referendum

Unai REMAINERS (IN)
10%
Unai LEAVERS (OUT)
90%

Total votes : 105

Re: Emery Out

Postby starmandb » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:55 pm

swipe right wrote:Exactly one year ago, Wright and Keown were hailing him a genius. Explains why they’ve done nothing other than punditry the past 15 years.
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... s-15530980

11 months before george graham was sacked he was in the midst of an 4 month unbeaten run with a cup winners cup semi final pending
Then 11 months later he wasn't
His time had run at Arsenal
It happens
You are the right man for the job until you ain't
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby swipe right » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:45 pm

starmandb wrote:
gooney wrote:
NovaGB wrote:Who is the 10 'Unai Remains in' guys?

10 spurs fans for sure

Me
Been Arsenal fan all my life
Clock ticking though
When it's time to go it's time to go
Regardless of any upcoming fixtures
Hard or soft
Club much more robust than a manager failing

Unai Ultra’s as resilient as the man’s defensive setup I see.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Clarkey T wrote:If we have any chance of getting Mourinho in then Emery has to go before Xmas.

IMO we are lucky that Wenger isn't going to Bayern, so if we keep Emery and then sack him in February we can bring Wenger back as interim to steady the ship and get us ready for the next man in the new season.

With Mourinho he will alienate all the deadwood in the squad and then they will have to leave the club, he might also alienate some of the good players in the squad too but he's a special one so it is worth giving him £400 million to spend on players to give us a chance of competing for that 4th place again.

As a former Wenger Out man, I've now come to think about how fortunate we were to make the Champions League every year, we wanted him gone so we could compete again... well competing for mid table is a mouthwatering prospect.

UTG

We were not making the CL when Wenger left.
The board have made an error replacing the idiot Wenger with another idiot.

This, even Wenger Out admit in his day Wenger was great, but times change and he got stale and uncompetitive, the board however had few suitors and landed us with this guy.

The sensible people here all gave him due grace, but now we can all comfortably say, he is no improvement ............. and improvement is what we needed.

I say again, when I watched Liverpool vs City I was so disheartned comparing even a losing City to AFC, if you have to lose, that's how you lose, fighting and trying to play decent football, not the capitulation you get from our team.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:52 am

Real, Barca and Bayern are struggling to find quality managers. What chance do we have? Complete stupidity letting Wenger go during a managerial drought.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:59 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Clarkey T wrote:If we have any chance of getting Mourinho in then Emery has to go before Xmas.

IMO we are lucky that Wenger isn't going to Bayern, so if we keep Emery and then sack him in February we can bring Wenger back as interim to steady the ship and get us ready for the next man in the new season.

With Mourinho he will alienate all the deadwood in the squad and then they will have to leave the club, he might also alienate some of the good players in the squad too but he's a special one so it is worth giving him £400 million to spend on players to give us a chance of competing for that 4th place again.

As a former Wenger Out man, I've now come to think about how fortunate we were to make the Champions League every year, we wanted him gone so we could compete again... well competing for mid table is a mouthwatering prospect.

UTG

We were not making the CL when Wenger left.
The board have made an error replacing the idiot Wenger with another idiot.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:03 am

swipe right wrote:Real, Barca and Bayern are struggling to find quality managers. What chance do we have? Complete stupidity letting Wenger go during a managerial drought.

Mate are you telling me there were not better managers than Wenger available when we got rid of Wenger? There were better managers available in our own league!!

Benitez, just to name one.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 am

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Real, Barca and Bayern are struggling to find quality managers. What chance do we have? Complete stupidity letting Wenger go during a managerial drought.

Mate are you telling me there were not better managers than Wenger available when we got rid of Wenger? There were better managers available in our own league!!

Were there marginally better ones? Sure. Though I don’t think Benitez is one of them. Rogers maybe. But if you want to end an era like Wengers, you don’t do it for marginal improvement. You don’t want to go from sixth to fifth or fourth to third. The reality is Klopp and Guardiola are out there on their own. Everyone else is one shade better than a diminished Wenger. Mark my words the guy who succeeds Emery will be no better.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:39 am

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Were there marginally better ones? Sure. Though I don’t think Benitez is one of them. Rogers maybe. But if you want to end an era like Wengers, you don’t do it for marginal improvement. You don’t want to go from sixth to fifth or fourth to third. The reality is Klopp and Guardiola are out there on their own. Everyone else is one shade better than a diminished Wenger. Mark my words the guy who succeeds Emery will be no better.

Than Wenger or Emery? The bar has been lowered so much that someone capable of organising any area of the team on the pitch is an upgrade on Emery.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:13 am

Exactly. Allardyce would've done better than Emery cos he can get a team to defend. The firepower up front would take care of itself.

For Emery to be worse than shit Wenger with the number of players brought in and money spent tells you how shit Emery really is. I'm Struggling to see under which manager we would actually be worse with!!! Emery is shockingly bad.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:54 am

Im afraid both you fine gentlemen are wrong. It’s dated thinking to believe that all you need to do is organize the defense and the attack will take care of itself. Today’s teams work on a tight coordination between intercepting the ball and cycling it back to the forward line. It’s how teams like Liverpool, City and even Leicester go back to front in seconds. The failure of Emery is not knowing what to do once his team intercepts the ball. How do Guendozi, Torreira etc create chances for Auba and Laca? It is far more nuanced than just sort out the defense.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 am

Ancelotti and guardiola have been appointed by one or both of these clubs during the period Wenger should have been sacked
Fear of what may happen is not a reason to keep a manager past his sell buy date
You go with a caretaker and appoint when you feel the have the right man
Get it wrong
You go again
starmandb

Postby Holdini » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am

theHotHead wrote:Exactly. Allardyce would've done better than Emery cos he can get a team to defend. The firepower up front would take care of itself.

:rofll:
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:36 am

Sorry but that's just not true, there's Ancelotti, Mourinho, Simeone, Allegri (to name just a few) who are all proven and consistently kept winning and being competitive, they didn't go 15 years not competing and regressing like Wenger.

Best thing we could have done is got rid of Wenger, even now it's still the best thing, since we got rid we've sold off a lot of deadwood and that's a big plus, this would have never happened with Wenger around.

You only need to look at what's happened since he left, he hasnt got one management job and in the end had to settle for a completely different job as no decent club wanted to employ him.

We had plenty of opportunities to get rid of Wenger and should have years before we did, but time and time again we didn't, i personally would never want Wenger back.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:41 am

starmandb wrote:

Ancelotti and guardiola have been appointed by one or both of these clubs during the period Wenger should have been sacked
Fear of what may happen is not a reason to keep a manager past his sell buy date
You go with a caretaker and appoint when you feel the have the right man
Get it wrong
You go again

Spot on, the reason we missef out on managers is because we wouldn't get rid of Wenger, luckily many years too late we eventually did.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Sims » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 pm

the fact hes still here after the international break is absurd to me
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Past competitions and posts