Europa League Last 32 draw Monday noon

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Europa League Last 32 draw Monday noon

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Hmm. Why is it that as fans the rhetoric is always that we should be in the champions league competing with the big boys, yet the mentality on display here is that we don't want to play anyone of a decent calibre for fear of getting beaten?

That we would rather avoid a good team and play the minnows of European football instead just so that we can progress further in the competition, is in itself the perfect indicator that we don't deserve to be in the champions league and we are truly at our level.

This mentality is tantamount to being the playground bully giving it large to kids a foot smaller than them, but runs away without a fight the moment a kid of a similar size looks them in the eye and says 'come on then'.

I understand that the prospect of progressing further in the competition is more likely to be achieved against teams at the level of our league one at best, but that in itself is not progression but in fact regression.

Of those teams listed that we could draw, I would only like Celtic or Lazio as both would be reminiscent of champions league football.

I wouldn't describe myself as sadomasochistic, but I want to have played against the best teams in the Europa league if we are indeed to go on and win it, so that there would actually be some substance to the achievement and give notice that the old pussy hole Arsenal is now dead and that this really is the new Arsenal.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Nuggets » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 pm

I don't care who we get, if we are going to win it we will just have to beat anybody.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby UFGN » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:10 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:Hmm. Why is it that as fans the rhetoric is always that we should be in the champions league competing with the big boys, yet the mentality on display here is that we don't want to play anyone of a decent calibre for fear of getting beaten?

That we would rather avoid a good team and play the minnows of European football instead just so that we can progress further in the competition, is in itself the perfect indicator that we don't deserve to be in the champions league and we are truly at our level.

This mentality is tantamount to being the playground bully giving it large to kids a foot smaller than them, but runs away without a fight the moment a kid of a similar size looks them in the eye and says 'come on then'.

I understand that the prospect of progressing further in the competition is more likely to be achieved against teams at the level of our league one at best, but that in itself is not progression but in fact regression.

Of those teams listed that we could draw, I would only like Celtic or Lazio as both would be reminiscent of champions league football.

I wouldn't describe myself as sadomasochistic, but I want to have played against the best teams in the Europa league if we are indeed to go on and win it, so that there would actually be some substance to the achievement and give notice that the old pussy hole Arsenal is now dead and that this really is the new Arsenal.

Context

Under Wenger it was because fans, especially ones of a WKB persuasion, were looking to preserve the season for as long as possible. The league was irrelevant, the football in later years was awful and there was nothing else to play for except the FA Cup

Now we're building something at the club. We're starting to fry bigger fish in the league, we're looking good to finish in a CL spot and we have serious injury problems

So yes, I want an easy draw, but not because I don't think we could beat Lazio.... we absolutely would beat them
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:39 pm

We can put any one of these teams to the sword even with our injury-ridden squad. Emile-Smith Rowe, Iwobi, Lacazette and Mkhitaryan should be starting these games, same as in the group stages.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TrafalgarLaw » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:46 am

find it very annoying that the year we drop to europa, the calibre of teams goes to another level.

inter milan
napoli
valencia
bayer lev
villareal
lazio
sevilla
chelsea
TrafalgarLaw
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:57 am

few years ago it was dortmund, liverpool, spurs, sevilla etc

no harder this year at all.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 am

Santi wrote:few years ago it was dortmund, liverpool, spurs, sevilla etc

no harder this year at all.

Exactly. It's not like Madrid (okay maybe not this season), Bayern (same as RM), Atletico (this season), Barcelona, and Juventus have dropped down.

We're still one of the favorites.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:33 am

UFGN wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Hmm. Why is it that as fans the rhetoric is always that we should be in the champions league competing with the big boys, yet the mentality on display here is that we don't want to play anyone of a decent calibre for fear of getting beaten?

Context

Under Wenger it was because fans, especially ones of a WKB persuasion, were looking to preserve the season for as long as possible. The league was irrelevant, the football in later years was awful and there was nothing else to play for except the FA Cup

Now we're building something at the club. We're starting to fry bigger fish in the league, we're looking good to finish in a CL spot and we have serious injury problems

So yes, I want an easy draw, but not because I don't think we could beat Lazio.... we absolutely would beat them

I get how this mind set has probably come about, I'm just not comfortable with it and find it a little bit Robert Ford, Spursy even.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cannoner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 am

Spurs get Dortmund haha bye bye spurs. Dortmund have been ace this season.
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:38 am

No-one left in this competition that poses a threat, but lets start with the easy draw.

I want us to draw celtic, just to get the Union Jack out to fly in their scottish faces.

I'd rather not have those murderers from Turkey just for historical reasons
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 am

nice of UEFA to ruin our home game by putting it 5pm on the Wednesday....
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Cannoner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Christ some of these teams are pony
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm