Qualifying for Champions League next season?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Qualifying for Champions League next season?

Postby starmandb » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 am

PairyGrows wrote:To be honest, I can't see us qualifying for the Champions League. The teams above us are all well ahead of us, and without at least one of them collapsing, a top four finish looks very unlikely. The same can be said about the Europa League. Chelsea are the overwhelming favourites, and we shouldn't underestimate Napoli, Inter and Sevilla.

We're stuck in a limbo where we're too good to be in the Europa League but not good enough to win it. On the other hand, we're not good enough to qualify for the Champions League. Don't get me wrong; for the long-term future of the club, qualifying for the Champions League this season is crucial. Unfortunately we won't do it.

Chelsea are 3 points in front of us
We have a home game against Chelsea to come
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby #ST » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:21 am

Liverpool
City
Chelsea

If thats the top 3 you have Arsenal Spurs and United to compete for the 4th spot. I don't see how we can't be the ones? United looks to be out and I really don't think Spurs should finish above us a third season in a row..
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby LMAO » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 am

We're four wins behind Liverpool, three wins and a draw behind City, and less than two wins behind Spurs and Chelsea...with 22 games to go.

Will we catch Liverpool and City this season? Probably not, but we're still in a great position to make a run during the second half of the season and secure at least CL qualification.

Remember the Leicester season? We were top after New Years yet finished 10 points behind Leicester.

Still a lot of games left to be played.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 am

The good thing about this is that the Kroenkes really want us to be in Champion's League. Well, for their own financial reason off course. They need to invest or loose more profit next season. Maybe they do not care about us, but they do care about their money.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Interest: waning » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Can't see us getting CL as things are.
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 pm

starmandb wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:To be honest, I can't see us qualifying for the Champions League. The teams above us are all well ahead of us, and without at least one of them collapsing, a top four finish looks very unlikely. The same can be said about the Europa League. Chelsea are the overwhelming favourites, and we shouldn't underestimate Napoli, Inter and Sevilla.

We're stuck in a limbo where we're too good to be in the Europa League but not good enough to win it. On the other hand, we're not good enough to qualify for the Champions League. Don't get me wrong; for the long-term future of the club, qualifying for the Champions League this season is crucial. Unfortunately we won't do it.

To be clear, the teams above us are not all significantly ahead of us as far as points are concerned. However, when it comes to the depth and quality of their squads as well as their tactical maturity, the difference becomes a lot more pronounced. Only Chelsea, having changed their manager, are in a comparable position to us in terms of tactics.

At the end of the day, I look at the teams above us, and I have to say they're better than us. As a result, they'll finish above us.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby starmandb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 am

PairyGrows wrote:
starmandb wrote:

To be clear, the teams above us are not all significantly ahead of us as far as points are concerned. However, when it comes to the depth and quality of their squads as well as their tactical maturity, the difference becomes a lot more pronounced. Only Chelsea, having changed their manager, are in a comparable position to us in terms of tactics.

At the end of the day, I look at the teams above us, and I have to say they're better than us. As a result, they'll finish above us.

There were at least 7 teams with better squads than Leicester
We are involved in 4 competitions
I will enjoy the fact the we have a chance in all of them
starmandb

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk