Arsenal Legends

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arsenal Legends

Postby Zedie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Adams is the pinnacle imo.

Arsenal uninterrupted, won us trophies under 2 different managerial dynasties

Absolute defensive titan, the heart of the most famous defensive unit across these shores

A true leader of men - you'd follow him into battle on the pitch, the beaches of Normandy, Fallujah, outside a Witherspoons at closing time - basically anywhere

When you think of Adams, the only club or shirt you can think of him in is an Arsenal and for all the above, he'll always be my top legend.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Tbf this convo is like rating which one of your toes you need the most.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Rockape wrote:I'm really surprised at Ray Parlour's inclusion in peoples lists. I know he was great servant of the club, played loads of games, ran his heart out, lovely bloke, loves a ruby etc etc.

However, I think that classic commentary.....'oh its okay, its only Ray Parlour', sums up what people thought of him at the time! Even if he did ram it down his throat on that occasion.

Nah, I think its more for the fact that he gave 100% all the time and that he was Arsenal through and through, a cockney plus he had long curly blonde hair. It goes back to my comment about iconic players, nobody can deny that Ray Parlour was an Arsenal icon therefore he should be an Arsenal legend.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:How many players have won titles in 3 decades bar the fergie boys and Adams?

Dixon
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Zedie wrote:Adams is the pinnacle imo.

Arsenal uninterrupted, won us trophies under 2 different managerial dynasties

Absolute defensive titan, the heart of the most famous defensive unit across these shores

A true leader of men - you'd follow him into battle on the pitch, the beaches of Normandy, Fallujah, outside a Witherspoons at closing time - basically anywhere

When you think of Adams, the only club or shirt you can think of him in is an Arsenal and for all the above, he'll always be my top legend.

This

Yet mention Adams on here to some and all they reply is with Adams waving his arms around at some Spanish club somewhere like that's the only thing he should be known for.

The greatest captain I've ever seen in all my years watching football. Leader of that defence. All English by the way and should've been englands defence and it's criminal that it wasn't even tried but when you have inept managers like Taylor and spuds like venables and hoddle, it was never going to happen.

For me he is top 3. Bergkamp is my favourite Arsenal player ever and Wright is what made me love football. Adams just behind.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Angelito wrote:
Rockape wrote:
Adams and Wright above Vieira is a bit of a joke but understandable.

Personally I would say that it’s a toss up between Adams and Henry as to who was our greatest Legend. Henry for the above who had all the fun scoring the goals, but big Tone was the Rock we built all those years of success on.

Between Bergkamp and Adams. Bergkamp shades it as he's our most talented player ever and the most talented player to play in the Prem.

Henry is our best player ever.

See this is where it gets really subjective. Any discussion that talks about most talent must include Liam Brady who at the time he left Arsenal for Juventus was one of the best players in the world !!!! An absolute magician with the ball and could dribble, defend, attack, assist and score.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:17 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Personally I would say that it’s a toss up between Adams and Henry as to who was our greatest Legend. Henry for the above who had all the fun scoring the goals, but big Tone was the Rock we built all those years of success on.

Between Bergkamp and Adams. Bergkamp shades it as he's our most talented player ever and the most talented player to play in the Prem.

See this is where it gets really subjective. Any discussion that talks about most talent must include Liam Brady who at the time he left Arsenal for Juventus was one of the best players in the world !!!! An absolute magician with the ball and could dribble, defend, attack, assist and score.

Or as he is called around these parts, the original Ramsey.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Thierry Henry

Also the lack of mentions for Gilberto is disgusting
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Is Adams our most decorated ever player, with ten major trophies including league cups?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:59 pm

....for sake of comparison, the last spurs player to win two major honours was.... Justin Edinburgh
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Henry can't be our biggest legend because of how he left the club. Perception matters and more than skills alone, it's also a case of how loyal you were to your club.

It's between Bergkamp and Adams.

Also, don't forget that our best period ever and our downfall both coincide with DB10's joining and retirement. Call it coincidence or.. In a way he symbolizes the Arsenal way.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 pm

heres the legends i had growing up (ignoring the likes of big tone and wrighty etc as they were in the twilight of their careers when i only understood what the f**k was going on)

arsene
bergkamp
thierry
vieira

very hard for me to list anymore top club legends like them. obvs you have players that were unreal and were huge favourites like bobby pires, sol, freddie with mesut and koscielny being the most modern ones but its hard to categorise them in the same mould as the four i initially mentioned imo
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Rockape » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Ach wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Or as he is called around these parts, the original Ramsey.

Mate...I have to reply to that. I used to watch Brady week in week out and he’s a TOTALLY different footballer to Ramsey. He was just a genius on the ball and probably the only player who could have got anywhere near him in this day is Ozil at his absolute best. But Brady had much more.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Alex James... 231 appearances for Arsenal despite having arthritis in both legs. And that was before modern pain killers.

UFGN

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Angelito wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Agreed other than its adams that shades it
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext