Start games with 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Start games with 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1?

Postby kaijuhk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm

4-4-2
Leno
Bellerin Holding Sokratis Monreal
Mkhi/Welb Torreira Xhaka Iwobi
Laca Auba

4-2-3-1
Leno
Bellerin Holding Sokratis Monreal
Torreira Xhaka
Mkhi/Welb Ozil Iwobi/Auba
Laca

I've always wanted a 4-4-2 ever since Auba joined and it's easy to see now that Auba has to play with Lacazette. Auba is simply a waste on the left.

I really feel there is enough creativity with Torreira and Xhaka to compensate for the loss of Ozil.

We need to start with intensity and we can always revert to 4-2-3-1 to open up stubborn teams. Ozil seems much better as a super sub (albeit an expensive one!)

Ozil, Ramsey and Mkhi are great players when the other team is tiring but to start with we need players with strength.

Having the physical presence of Welbeck, Iwobi, Lacazette and Auba pressing at the same time is scary! Scarily good. ;)
Last edited by kaijuhk on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaijuhk
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Re: Start games with 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1?

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:17 pm

4-4-2
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Depends on the opponent
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Hmmm. The main reasons why 4-4-2 stopped being the stock formation of choice for almost every team in the world prior to the early 2000's, is that some clever bugger figured out that 3 average players in midfield will usually overpower 2 good players simply by sheer weight of numbers.

And I think it is commonly accepted that if you dominate control of midfield you win the match 9 out of 10 times.

Without factoring in all the nuances of individual quality of players, 3 Kante's in midfield chins 2 Kante's in midfield. By the same token, if you had 4 Patrick Vieira's then yeah, by all means go for it, but no doubt you see the problem with that.

Bring in one or both of your wide midfielders to address the problem and you unbalance your own formation to play in an unfamiliar set-up that not only sacrifices the gains of 4-4-2 but actively counters it by leaving it wide open down the flanks.

Not much point in having a brilliant strike force if your midfield and wide players are too busy chasing back towards their own goal to be supplying them with the through balls and crosses they need to feed off.

Hence why 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3 against 4-4-2 can be like garlic and crucifixes to a vampire, whilst 4-5-1 and 3-5-2 will stifle the life out of it and give scope for the 90th minute sucker punch.

I am not saying you can't play 4-4-2 any more, only that it has to be dependent on the opposition and their formation, and setting up like that from the off is easy for the opposing manager/coach to counter and force you into plan B.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:29 pm

4-4-2
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:Hmmm. The main reasons why 4-4-2 stopped being the stock formation of choice for almost every team in the world prior to the early 2000's, is that some clever bugger figured out that 3 average players in midfield will usually overpower 2 good players simply by sheer weight of numbers.

And I think it is commonly accepted that if you dominate control of midfield you win the match 9 out of 10 times.

Without factoring in all the nuances of individual quality of players, 3 Kante's in midfield chins 2 Kante's in midfield. By the same token, if you had 4 Patrick Vieira's then yeah, by all means go for it, but no doubt you see the problem with that.

Bring in one or both of your wide midfielders to address the problem and you unbalance your own formation to play in an unfamiliar set-up that not only sacrifices the gains of 4-4-2 but actively counters it by leaving it wide open down the flanks.

Not much point in having a brilliant strike force if your midfield and wide players are too busy chasing back towards their own goal to be supplying them with the through balls and crosses they need to feed off.

Hence why 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3 against 4-4-2 can be like garlic and crucifixes to a vampire, whilst 4-5-1 and 3-5-2 will stifle the life out of it and give scope for the 90th minute sucker punch.

I am not saying you can't play 4-4-2 any more, only that it has to be dependent on the opposition and their formation, and setting up like that from the off is easy for the opposing manager/coach to counter and force you into plan B.

You make all correct points but you need to mention one determining factor and why 4-4-2 is making somewhat of a comeback in certain teams.

The traditional 4-4-2 was always seen as an offensive formation, Utd Treble winners, our own Invincibles and practically every team in the prem all used 4-4-2.

Then as you said, it began to get dominated by teams using 3 in midfield and possession football became more rampant.

However today's 4-4-2 pioneered by Atletico is used quite different to its predecessor, 4-4-2 now is actually a defensive formation.
The two banks of four are compressed when you attack them, they have a nice field wide double bank to absorb an attack, when they do attack they hit hard on the break and counter with the two wingers and two forwards making a four on 2 or 3 situation unless the other team gets back quick enough.
Atletico have done remarkably well with it, and I've noticed more prem teams are using this model because they know their 4-3-3 cannot dominate a better teams 4-3-3 simply based on bought talent so they concede possession and use the two banks of four to soak up the attacks.

Now the issue is you're sacrificing possession for end to end play, which is why I'm not sure it will suit our players in the main, we have lots of creative players, I'm not sure we have the parts in midfield to have 4-4-2 as our default formation?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 pm

who cares we fuckin win em all anyway

could play 1-1-1-7
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:18 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
You make all correct points but you need to mention one determining factor and why 4-4-2 is making somewhat of a comeback in certain teams.

The traditional 4-4-2 was always seen as an offensive formation, Utd Treble winners, our own Invincibles and practically every team in the prem all used 4-4-2.

Then as you said, it began to get dominated by teams using 3 in midfield and possession football became more rampant.

However today's 4-4-2 pioneered by Atletico is used quite different to its predecessor, 4-4-2 now is actually a defensive formation.
The two banks of four are compressed when you attack them, they have a nice field wide double bank to absorb an attack, when they do attack they hit hard on the break and counter with the two wingers and two forwards making a four on 2 or 3 situation unless the other team gets back quick enough.
Atletico have done remarkably well with it, and I've noticed more prem teams are using this model because they know their 4-3-3 cannot dominate a better teams 4-3-3 simply based on bought talent so they concede possession and use the two banks of four to soak up the attacks.

Now the issue is you're sacrificing possession for end to end play, which is why I'm not sure it will suit our players in the main, we have lots of creative players, I'm not sure we have the parts in midfield to have 4-4-2 as our default formation?

Valid point. However, it kind of harks back to the point I was making regards having the best individual players for each role as opposed to formation and strategy versus formation and strategy.

In my opinion, we should have beaten atletico last season and if injury hadn't disrupted Mkhitaryan's form and performance and had Aubameyang been available, I think we would have.

By the same token, take Costa and Greisman out of their team and you have a different proposition entirely, regardless of Godin, Saul N, Koke, Oblak et al.

The compressed two banks of four and fast break counter attack is a tried and tested strategy, forgive me if I'm wrong but Arsenal folklore had it that they were the first words out of George Grahams mouth as a baby.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it anti-football, but the television money would be out of here quicker than Alexis Sanchez chasing a £20 note if half our teams went down that road.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:32 am

I've always said, any formation can work, its just how well tactically and personnel wise you put it on the pitch.

People, even on here were spouting 4-4-2 doesn't work anymore blah blah and I always said if its done right and you have the right players, it can.

I do admire Atletico's 4-4-2 adaption, they were never going to beat Real Madrid playing 4-3-3 head to head because Real will always have the money to put better players in those positions.
4-4-2 gives them a tactical advantage to compete if its done right, because their aim is not to play for possession against superior players.
There's no doubt it needed adapting from the old school cavalier version of the 90's and early 2000's as it was too easy to overrun, but I like this defensive, hard counter renaissance makeover it now has .......... because once again 4-4-2 is now relevant.

3-4-3, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond) .......... I've seen them all perform at top level and win.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby coolaa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:17 am

After seeing the 442 vs Fulham, I definitely prefer continue play with this formation.

They managed to keep the team shape through out the game, whenever the full back attacks, the wide midfielder to cover the FB's spot and we don't get exposed. The two forwards also shift left and right smoothly, that protects the defense from the front well. Also this formation gives us 2 strikers to counter at anytime, not many CBs can deal with the pace or shooting skills from Aubameyang/Lacazette/Welbeck, they basically mean opposition will always need to have 3 defenders staying back.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 am

Not about formation but about personnel .... this is a pretty well written piece ....

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-unai-emery-mesut-ozil-fulham-petr-cech-sokratis-a8573486.html

Key points for me -

It helped that with Petr Cech injured, Bernd Leno made his first Premier League start in goal. The passing move in their own third, so often so awkward for Arsenal, suddenly looked smoother.

It also helped, then, that Alex Iwobi, Arsenal’s most powerful winger, started out on the left wing.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan played on the right wing yesterday and played far harder than Ozil would have done.

But now, watching Arsenal play like this, you see the vague outline of what Emery wants, and you realise that Ozil will have to fit into it, rather than waiting for it to form itself around him.

Let's not get carried away, Fulham were truly shocking, we will not get that much time and space in many games this season, however if we can at least establish a consistent pattern of play we will once again be a threat to even the very top sides ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 am

Micki was average once again, Özil will have no issue playing in his role
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 am

Sims wrote:Micki was average once again, Özil will have no issue playing in his role

That first touch pass to free Auba was intuitive. Vision of a champ.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 am

No formation is better than another formation, it all depends on the personnel and the manner in which it is deployed.

The OP is delusional though if he thinks a Xhaka/Torreira combo provides enough creativity to do without Ozil. Crackers!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Newman123 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am

4-3-1-2

Mkhi should play in the whole. He was pressing and being aggressive on the ball which helped us alot.
Newman123
Charlie George
Charlie George

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk