Vinai Venkatesham, Chief Executive

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Vinai Venkatesham, Managing Director

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:02 pm

No stability at this club whatsoever and bad decision after bad decision from those out in charge.

Wenger went (long after he should have gone), then Gazidis was suppose to take us forward but he then leaves a few months later, then we get Raul and Vinai and Mislintat, Mislintat then leaves not long after. We then get Edu in after quite a long wait and Emery gets sacked after a few months, Sanelhi is then moved on.

As I said the issue is the owner not being interested, this wouldn’t happen at a well run club where the person at the top is focussed on the club.

We now have Vinai in charge with apparently no money and a super agent apparently with some pull thrown into the mix and are struggling to shift any of our players to raise funds, I’m not too sure where this is heading.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Özim wrote:No stability at this club whatsoever and bad decision after bad decision from those out in charge.

Wenger went (long after he should have gone), then Gazidis was suppose to take us forward but he then leaves a few months later, then we get Raul and Vinai and Mislintat, Mislintat then leaves not long after. We then get Edu in after quite a long wait and Emery gets sacked after a few months, Sanelhi is then moved on.

As I said the issue is the owner not being interested, this wouldn’t happen at a well run club where the person at the top is focussed on the club.

We now have Vinai in charge with apparently no money and a super agent apparently with some pull thrown into the mix and are struggling to shift any of our players to raise funds, I’m not too sure where this is heading.
But if the owner wasn't interested there'd be no change whatsoever!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Özim wrote:No stability at this club whatsoever and bad decision after bad decision from those out in charge.

Not true, the clubs finances are a mess, that’s what he’s interested in, not what happens on the pitch or on field success (after 15 years of very little success it’s pretty clear).

There’s been change it seems because we allegedly paid too much for Pepe and money hasn’t been spent well, that’s very different to change because the results haven’t been good enough.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Rayyo wrote:not the face of a man that inspires me with confidence.

What's wrong with it?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Özim wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Not true, the clubs finances are a mess, that’s what he’s interested in, not what happens on the pitch or on field success (after 15 years of very little success it’s pretty clear).

There’s been change it seems because we allegedly paid too much for Pepe and money hasn’t been spent well, that’s very different to change because the results haven’t been good enough.

So you either have some indsider knowledge here or can read minds... which is it?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:03 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

So you either have some indsider knowledge here or can read minds... which is it?

Neither of those, seems more like common sense to be honest.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:56 pm

Kroenke knows that getting back into the CL is essential for the club's finances. It's why the owners kept Wenger in the job when a lot of fans were demanding change. If Wenger was still getting us CL football he'd still be in the job.

He wants us to get back in the CL. Not for any footballing reasons. Purely financial. Arsenal FC is a business that he has invested in. He didn't buy the club through any love for Arsenal or football.

But if his ambition to line his pockets brings us footballing success along the way, I'll take that.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Phil71 wrote:Kroenke knows that getting back into the CL is essential for the club's finances. It's why the owners kept Wenger in the job when a lot of fans were demanding change. If Wenger was still getting us CL football he'd still be in the job.

In Wenger's interview with beIN sports, he claimed to have left because "nothing was good enough." I feel Gazidis sold the "naive" Kroenkes a dream that was never attainable here—Man City/PSG's model. Naive in footballing terms.

When he received an offer, "too good to be true," from Milan, Gazidis left.

Any ambitious and competent professional wouldn't have left their job after having won a power tussle against the most important figure in modern Arsenal history.

We're more or less back to where we were under Wenger now. Mikel's the de facto manager. He will only share his responsibilities with Edu. Vinai is the unofficial Chief Executive a la Gazidis at Arsenal.

Essentially, the Kroenkes have gone back to Wenger's model with a powerful manager and an executive head of Arsenal. The only difference is that Mikel will share his responsibilities with a Technical Director, which wasn't the case under Arsene.

Think about it this way. The footballing operations at Arsenal will now be spearheaded by three professionals Wenger brought at the club: Mikel, Edu, and Per (as Academy Manager).

Wenger always knew. Unlike us.

I honestly believe that we would never be out of the UCL if Gazidis didn't make it his life purpose to thwart Wenger out of the club and adopt a "European model."
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Kroenke knows that getting back into the CL is essential for the club's finances. It's why the owners kept Wenger in the job when a lot of fans were demanding change. If Wenger was still getting us CL football he'd still be in the job.

In Wenger's interview with beIN sports, he claimed to have left because "nothing was good enough." I feel Gazidis sold the "naive" Kroenkes a dream that was never attainable here—Man City/PSG's model. Naive in footballing terms.

Any ambitious and competent professional wouldn't have left their job after having won a power tussle against the most important figure in modern Arsenal history.

We're more or less back to where we were under Wenger now. Mikel's the de facto manager. He will only share his responsibilities with Edu. Vinai is the unofficial Chief Executive a la Gazidis at Arsenal.

Essentially, the Kroenkes have gone back to Wenger's model with a powerful manager and an executive head of Arsenal. The only difference is that Mikel will share his responsibilities with a Technical Director, which wasn't the case under Arsene.

Think about it this way. The footballing operations at Arsenal will now be spearheaded by three professionals Wenger brought at the club: Mikel, Edu, and Per (as Academy Manager).

I honestly believe that we would never be out of the UCL if Gazidis didn't make it his life purpose to thwart Wenger out of the club and adopt a "European model."

Wenger is the one that dropped us out of the CL with his stubborness and complacency.

As for Gazidis, he didn’t sell anyone a dream, he was poor for the 8 years he was here but the Kroenkes didn’t care and had no interest as the cash cow that is the CL was bringing in buckets of cash.

Anyone interested in the club would have got rid of Gazidis and Wenger a long time before and also brought in people who could set the foundations for success.

What’s worse is the complacency was carried into our commercial deals, something we’re paying the price for now with an over reliance on gate receipts.

As we’ve seen since 2006, success off the pitch doesn’t have to come with success on it and the owners are happy with this. Now of course if you win the big prizes your revenue increases massively, but it takes investment in the 1st place and requires someone to take an active interest to make sure things are going as they should.

Wenger knew nothing we didn’t, he caused a lot of what is happening today.

Let’s face it, this club is poorly run and has been for years due to lack of interest from the people that own it, the CL money for teams that come 3rd and 4th which is usually where we ended up (miles away from the champions) just masked the reality of the situation.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Jedi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Angelito wrote:

Wenger "left"? Wenger was sacked.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ag6789 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Wenger left w/one yr left on his contract.
He probably thought he couldn't get his way w/many power centers at that time and left.
Low point in AFC history.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Wenger "left"? Wenger was sacked.

And who, in this mighty world, alluded you to that bit of critical information?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:45 am

Come on the big man

Lead the way chief
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Jedi » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Angelito wrote:
Jedi wrote:Wenger "left"? Wenger was sacked.

And who, in this mighty world, alluded you to that bit of critical information?

Basically every media outlet at the time? You don't leave with 1 year left on your contract if the club doesn't want you to leave...

Come on, I'm not one of those people with a hate boner for Wenger but to pretend he wasn't sacked is ridiculous.

Edit: Did a quick search for the coverage at the time and found an interview with Wilshere where he said this:
So I decided to stay and I got back into the team and they finally offered me a deal in January which was ready to sign, and then Arsene got sacked.
Last edited by Jedi on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:50 pm

wenger was sacked. dont have to take my word for it seriously but i can assure you he was sacked
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk