Vinai Venkatesham, Chief Executive

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Vinai Venkatesham, Managing Director

Postby Angelito » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Jedi wrote:Wenger "left"? Wenger was sacked.

And who, in this mighty world, alluded you to that bit of critical information?

Basically every media outlet at the time? You don't leave with 1 year left on your contract if the club doesn't want you to leave...

Come on, I'm not one of those people with a hate boner for Wenger but to pretend he wasn't sacked is ridiculous.

Edit: Did a quick search for the coverage at the time and found an interview with Wilshere where he said this:
So I decided to stay and I got back into the team and they finally offered me a deal in January which was ready to sign, and then Arsene got sacked.

Don't mean to say you're hating Wenger.

The major sources like Amy Lawrence and David Ornstein, as well as Jeremy Wilson, who covered Wenger/Arsenal extensively, didn't mention it.

I had read about what Wilshere said. I'm unsure about his choice of word. It could be, or it may not be.

There were reports that Wenger stayed after 16/17 to allow Gazidis more time to establish new hierarchies and structure at Arsenal.

While I'm not privy to the situation inside, what sense does it make to offer Wenger a new deal 6-7 months prior, then sack him 6-7 months later?

Sims wrote:wenger was sacked. dont have to take my word for it seriously but i can assure you he was sacked

I assume you have some inside info here.

So, why was he offered that contract in the first place?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:25 pm

I mean it’s not just the benefit of having the info but on the balance sheet you could see the compensation for Wenger & his staff after the dismissal

Why did Sanllehi want to extend Emery’s deal after we got our arse pounded in Baku? Somethings are what they are
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:32 pm

Tbh I think they just all agreed in the end it was best for all parties, I'm sure Wenger had wanted to see out his final year but the board had had enough. In essence he was ''sacked'' but they played it off in a more amicable fashion. Not sure about the balance sheets but I doubt they show the 10m+ he was on as compensation which means they came to an agreement mutually.

Either way it was needed, just a shame we've not really improved since...in fact the opposite.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:55 pm

If Wenger were sacked, he wouldn't have gotten the farewell and ovation during the last game.
Usually people are sacked w/o any fanfare, like Unai or Moyes.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:02 pm

Wenger was either out right sacked or as I suspect .......... forced out.

We do have evidence of that.

From a man who's used to running every aspect of the team to be forced literally to sell Giroud so we could buy Auba was the breaking point for Wenger and you could see it.

While Gazidis and Mislinitat were skipping all the way to Dortmund pulling up in fancy cars with big smiles on their faces Wenger was back in England wanting nothing to do with the transfer and was being very down playing / evasive with the media on his happiness at the emerging deal.

Wenger announced he was leaving straight after the Giroud sale.

Gazidis effectively took his say on transfers away from Wenger and that broke him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Sims wrote:wenger was sacked. dont have to take my word for it seriously but i can assure you he was sacked
Yes its obvious. How anyone thinks otherwise confuses me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:10 pm

ag6789 wrote:If Wenger were sacked, he wouldn't have gotten the farewell and ovation during the last game.

I mean he was sacked on a technical basis but obviously it was agreed that he saw out the end of the season and forced out - quite rightly
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby starmandb » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:23 pm

ag6789 wrote:If Wenger were sacked, he wouldn't have gotten the farewell and ovation during the last game.

Im sure people were applauding what wenger had achieved in the first 12 years of his reign. I know i was
I would like to have had the opportunity to show my appreciation 7 years earlier.
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:34 pm

Wenger always said he wouldn't break a contract, so clearly it was agreed it was time to move on after the last season under him, basically he was sacked even if it was portrayed quite like that.

Let's face it, he's still be here if he had his way, he said he wouldn't know what to do with his days without football and judged his own success and by and large he seemed happy with how he did. After 20{ years they were always going to make a fuss of him leaving, it would be weird not to.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Angelito » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:39 am

Santi wrote:Tbh I think they just all agreed in the end it was best for all parties, I'm sure Wenger had wanted to see out his final year but the board had had enough. In essence he was ''sacked'' but they played it off in a more amicable fashion. Not sure about the balance sheets but I doubt they show the 10m+ he was on as compensation which means they came to an agreement mutually.

Either way it was needed, just a shame we've not really improved since...in fact the opposite.

I think so too. The power tussle between Wenger and Gazidis started after 15/16. It was probably Wenger's idea not to sign a single outfield player in the summer of 2015 because Wenger didn't usually pursue players unless he was absolutely convinced. I'd have liked for us to sign Lacazette, in hindsight, so he could rotate with Giroud.

The whole DoF discussion started in 16/17.

I still don't understand why we offered Wenger a contract in 2017, or why Wenger even accepted to sign under such hostile circumstances.

It was handled poorly. Wenger should have left in 2017. Gazidis, with his European structure and "catalyst for change," left immediately. Sanllehi drove Mislintat out of the club. And, now, he's gone too.

A messy transition to say the least.

We're back to the old model more or less.

Vinai is the unofficial Chief Executive. Wenger's roles of DoF and Manager is split between Edu and Mikel now. We will probably hire one more football man as Technical Advisor or something. It was rumored that the board wanted to add O'Leary in the team, but Sanllehi blocked that move.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54107122

Sleepless nights lol

Knew their families lol

No explanation to the lies fed to the players about them taking a wage cut would mean no job losses.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Zenith » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:06 am

An trivial but surprising (if not remarkable) fact is that Vinai is just one year older than Mikel.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:45 pm

He said in his interview that his role is now - Chief Executive Officer
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Zenith wrote:An trivial but surprising (if not remarkable) fact is that Vinai is just one year older than Mikel.

If he had Arteta's hair, he'd probably look younger than David Luiz. :lol:

DiamondGooner wrote:He said in his interview that his role is now - Chief Executive Officer

His Linkedin profile says CEO of Arsenal too. If it's authentic.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Angelito wrote:
Zenith wrote:An trivial but surprising (if not remarkable) fact is that Vinai is just one year older than Mikel.

If he had Arteta's hair, he'd probably look younger than David Luiz. :lol:

:grin: No question about it.

VV has the hairline of a seasoned pensioner but, in contrast, he really does have the skin of a 20-year-old. If one were to take the hairline and facial characteristics of Arteta and replace his skin condition with that of Vinai's, the result would resemble that of a well-polished Asian boy band member.

/Shitpost
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk