Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:31 pm

Came across this on Pepe. I think Pepe or Martinelli could be good at this.

https://gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2022/01/24/pepes-afcon-form-may-will-him-a-run-at-false-nine-for-arsenal/

Despite being initially left out of Cote D’Ivoire’s opener at the AFCON, Nicholas Pepe, has since set the tournament alight with an assist and two magnificent goals to help his country into the knockout phase. His display against one of the pre-tournament favourites, Algeria, with an intelligent assist for Kessie and a wonderfully struck solo goal, grabbed Arsenal fans’ attention. Even more so now perhaps with Lacazette labouring, Aubameyang out of favour, Nketiah flattering to deceive and the chase of Vlahovic dragging on.

Despite an admirable display on New Years Day, Arteta’s Arsenal are struggling for goals, and being kept out last night by Burnley was a stark illustration. As I drove home from the match, my mind wandered to Pepe, his form for his country and how the Ivorian might be able to spark his team on his return. The re-emergence of Martinelli, who for me, is rotational for rest, but not droppable, Pepe has seen little club action, but we have heard few complaints from the club’s record signing.

This morning I returned to my musings and decided to endeavour to articulate my thoughts and they revolve around whether Arteta could reconsider utilising a ‘False Nine’ at Arsenal and if the forgotten man might fulfil the role. Before exploring this perhaps a quick summation of the role courtesy of this superb article on Coaches Voice:

What is a false nine?
A false nine is a centre-forward who repeatedly moves towards the ball in deeper positions from a high starting position, often dropping to receive centrally. The main intention is to get on the ball away from the opposition centre-backs – and, in doing so, to draw players out of position and disrupt the defence.

Of course, there are many aspects to the role but the dropping deeper to collect the ball aspect is vital and we all know Lacazette does this superbly. However, as the article continues and further elaborates, we may reveal why the Frenchman is not an option as a true False Nine:

It is also important for a false nine to be versatile and possess on-the-ball skills such as quick turning, dribbling and playing through balls. That said, finishing – often under significant defensive pressure from a variety of angles – is still an important part of the role. Given a false nine will often have to catch play up again after coming deep to link, they also have to be adept at making quick, late runs into the penalty area before finishing first time.

It is here that I begin to think on the attributes and strengths of Pepe, which are in truth weaknesses for Lacazette. Pepe, we all know, can finish under pressure and has the stamina and pace to catch up the play, having dropped deep, which is a major failing for our French No.9.

What I felt was obvious and painful against Burnley was that when our striker did drop deep to collect the ball between the lines, neither Mee nor Tarkowski felt the need to follow him. In short, they were not concerned that Lacazette attacking them from a deeper position could hurt them, either with a shot or pass. In addition, Martinelli was staying wide and not coming central to add to the threat. However, were Pepe playing there as a False Nine, dropping deep to collect the ball and turning to run at the Burnley defence, you can bet you bottom dollar one of the Burnley centre backs would have been drawn out. They would know and see Pepe with ball at feet facing goal, outside the penalty area as a threat, whether he dribbled or shot.

If Arsenal cannot secure Vlahovic, or as now rumoured, Isak and Arteta is unwilling to re-integrate Aubameyang, perhaps he could do worse than try Nicolas Pepe centrally. Particular has the Ivorian is on a longer contract with a point to prove, unlike Lacazette and Nketiah who quite obviously are not Arsenal’s future. When the False Nine role is played well it does need wide men willing to move centrally when the player in the role drops in between the lines to receive the ball and turn towards goal, If the FN has drawn a centre back with him and bypassed him, it is crucial that our wide players are willing to come into central areas. Surely both Martinelli and Saka, and indeed Smith Rowe have all proved what they can do when in scoring positions.

Whilst by no means comparing us to Man City, who have multiple players seemingly able to fill the FN role, perhaps if Edu & Co cannot conjure a proper striker for the 4231 in this window, Arteta might consider this option. He has tried it with Willian twice last season, in Europe as I recall, but surely a confident and ebullient Pepe, fresh from a strong showing at the AFCON, might be a superior candidate?

Certainly, the Ivorian has frustrated us when hugging the right touchline, but he has seldom done so when picking up the ball centrally, in a position to run at the defence or fashion and angle for his lethal left foot. Is now the time to make that his fulltime job Mikel?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Certainly needs to play more.

Why not give it a go?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:12 pm

Yep. Try him through the middle.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:20 pm

Stupid idea.

He'd do no better if not worse than Laca does and Laca is at times playing like a false 9 already.

Pepe is not a hold up CF, he's a dribbler type who needs to be running at goal, not in the box back to goal like a Lukaku.

Again as I said in the Auba thread ............ the way to solve this problem is to switch systems to a two or three up front formation.

Problem goes away.

Auba, Laca, Pepe, Martinelli, Saka ........ can all play in a front two or three relatively easily.

This is just another example of Arteta's dumb ideas causing problems of our own makings.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:30 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Came across this on Pepe. I think Pepe or Martinelli could be good at this.

https://gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2022/01/24/pepes-afcon-form-may-will-him-a-run-at-false-nine-for-arsenal/

Despite being initially left out of Cote D’Ivoire’s opener at the AFCON, Nicholas Pepe, has since set the tournament alight with an assist and two magnificent goals to help his country into the knockout phase. His display against one of the pre-tournament favourites, Algeria, with an intelligent assist for Kessie and a wonderfully struck solo goal, grabbed Arsenal fans’ attention. Even more so now perhaps with Lacazette labouring, Aubameyang out of favour, Nketiah flattering to deceive and the chase of Vlahovic dragging on.

Despite an admirable display on New Years Day, Arteta’s Arsenal are struggling for goals, and being kept out last night by Burnley was a stark illustration. As I drove home from the match, my mind wandered to Pepe, his form for his country and how the Ivorian might be able to spark his team on his return. The re-emergence of Martinelli, who for me, is rotational for rest, but not droppable, Pepe has seen little club action, but we have heard few complaints from the club’s record signing.

This morning I returned to my musings and decided to endeavour to articulate my thoughts and they revolve around whether Arteta could reconsider utilising a ‘False Nine’ at Arsenal and if the forgotten man might fulfil the role. Before exploring this perhaps a quick summation of the role courtesy of this superb article on Coaches Voice:

What is a false nine?
A false nine is a centre-forward who repeatedly moves towards the ball in deeper positions from a high starting position, often dropping to receive centrally. The main intention is to get on the ball away from the opposition centre-backs – and, in doing so, to draw players out of position and disrupt the defence.

Of course, there are many aspects to the role but the dropping deeper to collect the ball aspect is vital and we all know Lacazette does this superbly. However, as the article continues and further elaborates, we may reveal why the Frenchman is not an option as a true False Nine:

It is also important for a false nine to be versatile and possess on-the-ball skills such as quick turning, dribbling and playing through balls. That said, finishing – often under significant defensive pressure from a variety of angles – is still an important part of the role. Given a false nine will often have to catch play up again after coming deep to link, they also have to be adept at making quick, late runs into the penalty area before finishing first time.

It is here that I begin to think on the attributes and strengths of Pepe, which are in truth weaknesses for Lacazette. Pepe, we all know, can finish under pressure and has the stamina and pace to catch up the play, having dropped deep, which is a major failing for our French No.9.

What I felt was obvious and painful against Burnley was that when our striker did drop deep to collect the ball between the lines, neither Mee nor Tarkowski felt the need to follow him. In short, they were not concerned that Lacazette attacking them from a deeper position could hurt them, either with a shot or pass. In addition, Martinelli was staying wide and not coming central to add to the threat. However, were Pepe playing there as a False Nine, dropping deep to collect the ball and turning to run at the Burnley defence, you can bet you bottom dollar one of the Burnley centre backs would have been drawn out. They would know and see Pepe with ball at feet facing goal, outside the penalty area as a threat, whether he dribbled or shot.

If Arsenal cannot secure Vlahovic, or as now rumoured, Isak and Arteta is unwilling to re-integrate Aubameyang, perhaps he could do worse than try Nicolas Pepe centrally. Particular has the Ivorian is on a longer contract with a point to prove, unlike Lacazette and Nketiah who quite obviously are not Arsenal’s future. When the False Nine role is played well it does need wide men willing to move centrally when the player in the role drops in between the lines to receive the ball and turn towards goal, If the FN has drawn a centre back with him and bypassed him, it is crucial that our wide players are willing to come into central areas. Surely both Martinelli and Saka, and indeed Smith Rowe have all proved what they can do when in scoring positions.

Whilst by no means comparing us to Man City, who have multiple players seemingly able to fill the FN role, perhaps if Edu & Co cannot conjure a proper striker for the 4231 in this window, Arteta might consider this option. He has tried it with Willian twice last season, in Europe as I recall, but surely a confident and ebullient Pepe, fresh from a strong showing at the AFCON, might be a superior candidate?

Certainly, the Ivorian has frustrated us when hugging the right touchline, but he has seldom done so when picking up the ball centrally, in a position to run at the defence or fashion and angle for his lethal left foot. Is now the time to make that his fulltime job Mikel?

Pepe as a false 9 loool dumbest idea I’ve heard on this forum, someone one footed that struggles to dribble in that position.

While we are at it maybe we should try Ben white as a CAM :lol:
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:35 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Stupid idea.

He'd do no better if not worse than Laca does and Laca is at times playing like a false 9 already.

Pepe is not a hold up CF, he's a dribbler type who needs to be running at goal, not in the box back to goal like a Lukaku.

Again as I said in the Auba thread ............ the way to solve this problem is to switch systems to a two or three up front formation.

Problem goes away.

Auba, Laca, Pepe, Martinelli, Saka ........ can all play in a front two or three relatively easily.

This is just another example of Arteta's dumb ideas causing problems of our own makings.

This below part about the role of a false 9 is important. It's not like a traditional 9 role. What you've described in Pepe is part of what you need to play the false 9.

What is a false nine?

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:43 pm

I know exactly what a False no9 is, the issue is unless Arteta amends the system he uses then us needing a box target CF is not going to change.

4-2-3-1 has the lone CF ahead up in the box and recieves crosses from the wingers or over lapping (when we're being brave enough) full backs, just like what we used to do for Giroud.

Auba tried to vary his play and wasn't very effective as has Laca.

It all comes down to when the 3 start doing all their sideways passing or end up going wide and crossing, unless our 1 (CF) is a 6'ft+ target CF we have no one in the box to take these balls from the wide area.

A false no9 the way we play will likely have the same issues Laca and Auba already have had.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 am

DiamondGooner wrote:I know exactly what a False no9 is, the issue is unless Arteta amends the system he uses then us needing a box target CF is not going to change.

4-2-3-1 has the lone CF ahead up in the box and recieves crosses from the wingers or over lapping (when we're being brave enough) full backs, just like what we used to do for Giroud.

Auba tried to vary his play and wasn't very effective as has Laca.

It all comes down to when the 3 start doing all their sideways passing or end up going wide and crossing, unless our 1 (CF) is a 6'ft+ target CF we have no one in the box to take these balls from the wide area.

A false no9 the way we play will likely have the same issues Laca and Auba already have had.

It doesn't look like Arteta is any closer to compromising and adapting the system to accommodate the players. He's been trying to play this false 9 role in almost every variation of the 3 man forward formations. From 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1,to 4-3-3 he wants a false 9. We get half of what's required of the striker from Laca, Auba or Nketiah. There aren't many options left if he's not willing to change to a two man system. I've given up hope that he'll do something that radical and we'll one day see something different formation wise.

City and Liverpool play the false 9 system and City still use it when they play a 4-2-3-1 with Foden up top recently. You have said before we should try to replicate those systems. Nothing is wrong with the actual false 9 system in principle. It’s about finding the right quality of player for thst role and it's not easy to fit a traditional forward in it. It's why we're struggling with Laca and Auba who are both more traditional. Pep and Klopp are using attacking midfielders and wide players as false 9s instead for a reason.

Besides, deadline day is approaching and it doesn't sound like we're close to signing anyone new. Since we're left with little options and a rigid manager sticking to the same approach, I would hope Arteta at least exhausts every possibility in an already rigid structure. It may not work because, lord knows, our midfield is another issue that needs addressing, but he can't continue to rotate the same sort of players and hope for the best. Martinelli and Pepe are two players that are a lot better closer to goal. If he'll try Willian and ESR as false 9s and he might as well give this a go if we're still firing blanks once we're passed this window.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:50 am

Arteta doesn't want a false 9.

He wants a CF target man, I know this because of just looking at the transfer targets he's going for, Vlahovic for starters, Isak is tall as sht.

Neither of those are false 9 candidates.

Auba can play a false 9, he's mobile enough, quick enough, but the way we play is designed for a lone CF in the box.

Liverpool play 4-3-3 and so do City.

Pep is just being weird and trying to play CAM's as strikers, he does this now and again because his teams so good they can afford to do experiments now and again, however in a one off .......... see City vs Chelsea in the CL final, he lost City a CL trophy doing that sht.

As for Klopp he plays a straight 4-3-3 no false 9, Firmino plays CF flanked by Sane & Salah, Firmino plays as a hold up CF, he's not lone responsible for goals, a lot of their goals come from their RWF and LWF.

Our 4-2-3-1 isolates our wingers and our CF unlike a 4-3-3.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:29 am

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:He will be like a new signing ennit bruv

That's why we won't sign anybody in this window. :rolleyes:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:19 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Arteta doesn't want a false 9.

He wants a CF target man, I know this because of just looking at the transfer targets he's going for, Vlahovic for starters, Isak is tall as sht.

Neither of those are false 9 candidates.

Auba can play a false 9, he's mobile enough, quick enough, but the way we play is designed for a lone CF in the box.

Liverpool play 4-3-3 and so do City.

Pep is just being weird and trying to play CAM's as strikers, he does this now and again because his teams so good they can afford to do experiments now and again, however in a one off .......... see City vs Chelsea in the CL final, he lost City a CL trophy doing that sht.

As for Klopp he plays a straight 4-3-3 no false 9, Firmino plays CF flanked by Sane & Salah, Firmino plays as a hold up CF, he's not lone responsible for goals, a lot of their goals come from their RWF and LWF.

Our 4-2-3-1 isolates our wingers and our CF unlike a 4-3-3.

Isak is tall but plays like a false 9 not a target man. He's quick, runs at his opponents and drops deep and drifts info channels.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/01/alexander-isak-stats-overview/

Also, Arteta would tell Lacazette to stay in the box and wait for service if he didn't want a false 9. The Frenchman has totally switched his style of play under Arteta which is by design and instruction.

Firmino plays as a false 9 as well. Klopp has said it himself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN2HF07P

"Mo gets a lot of attention and rightly so but Bobby, for people with football knowledge -- I'm pretty sure when he finishes playing people will write books about the way he interpreted the false nine position," Klopp said.

"I don't say he invented it or we invented it, but with the way he plays it, from time to time it looks like (that)!

"There are different things to do on the pitch -- some of them are defensive, and what he did in that department tonight (Sunday) was absolutely insane. Offensively he is a nice link-up player and he finishes off from time to time as well."

We may not be able to interpret everything correctly from what Arteta is trying to do but Klopp confirmed what Firmino's role is.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:42 pm

Lacazette started playing in the 10 behind Auba, he wasn't the forward striker so the role is more a 2nd striker in what would usually be a 4-4-1-1.

Also the reason he has started coming out of the box is because for nigh on 2 seasons where he only played as a box striker his goals were minimal, he's too short.

The ultimate false no9 was Thierry Henry.

As for Isak I think Arteta would of asked him to get in the box and use his height however ............ its not official we're after him, Vlahovic however was official plus this new Victor lad we are apparently looking at are the same profile CF's.

As I said we know what Arteta wants and its not a false 9, he could do that with any number of player we already have.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Lacazette started playing in the 10 behind Auba, he wasn't the forward striker so the role is more a 2nd striker in what would usually be a 4-4-1-1.

Also the reason he has started coming out of the box is because for nigh on 2 seasons where he only played as a box striker his goals were minimal, he's too short.

The ultimate false no9 was Thierry Henry.

As for Isak I think Arteta would of asked him to get in the box and use his height however ............ its not official we're after him, Vlahovic however was official plus this new Victor lad we are apparently looking at are the same profile CF's.

As I said we know what Arteta wants and its not a false 9, he could do that with any number of player we already have.

And Firmino?

Edit - To add....I disagree with the majority of the above because it sounds like you're mixing up what a false 9 is.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:16 pm

Who plays false 9 in Pep's team?

If we want an insight into Arteta's mind re: the attack, that's the starting point.

Remember him starting no strikers at all during that first leg v Villarreal?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:28 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Who plays false 9 in Pep's team?

If we want an insight into Arteta's mind re: the attack, that's the starting point.

Remember him starting no strikers at all during that first leg v Villarreal?

Yes Villareal and last season away to City where he played Willian in the central role up front.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to World Football