Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Tubbs » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:58 pm

This lad is clearly suffering mentally already playing for us, he didn’t even get off the bench today we could have spent the money on more more needed players at the time
Tubbs
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:05 pm

Tubbs wrote:This lad is clearly suffering mentally already playing for us, he didn’t even get off the bench today we could have spent the money on more more needed players at the time

Frankly we should have kept Iwobi, who is as good or better and spent the £40m balance on a top class defender.
I only hope we can offload Pepe for decent money, but I doubt it now. Who would pay even £20m for him?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby NovaGB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Tubbs wrote:This lad is clearly suffering mentally already playing for us, he didn’t even get off the bench today we could have spent the money on more more needed players at the time

Frankly we should have kept Iwobi, who is as good or better and spent the £40m balance on a top class defender.
I only hope we can offload Pepe for decent money, but I doubt it now. Who would pay even £20m for him?

Can't disagree with that, although i like having Pepe, a cb would have been way more sensible.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LMAO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:11 pm

Needs to start against Newcastle. Every game we've won this season in the PL, EL, and FA Cup, Pepe has played.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:14 pm

LMAO wrote:Needs to start against Newcastle. Every game we've won this season in the PL, EL, and FA Cup, Pepe has played.

Yep. We need more dribbles on the field that will take their man on and draw players out of position. Not playing Pepe was a mistake.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
LMAO wrote:Needs to start against Newcastle. Every game we've won this season in the PL, EL, and FA Cup, Pepe has played.

Yep. We need more dribbles on the field that will take their man on and draw players out of position. Not playing Pepe was a mistake.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:11 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

We probably should have kept Iwobi regardless but you do realise that he's a little worse than Pepe in terms of end product? But what I appreciated about Iwobi is that he takes his man on and was causing chaos down the left, opening space. It's similar to Pepe's function down the right so it doesn't make sense to pine for Iwobi now.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby elkanofan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

This is what we have to accept having a rookie manager.

Mistake after mistake.

We can only hope he learns quickly but I expect him to get lineups wrong and for players to let him down.

While we all love Gabby he was swallowed up but our shit play and was a total no factor in the game. Pepe was the better choice in hindsight.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:46 pm

You f***ing armchair managers make me laugh, with the benefit of hindsight.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:06 am

Money well spent..........not :rolleyes:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:56 am

Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby #ST » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:21 am

Im getting really annoyed by how Pepe is treated by both management and our fan base.

YES, he was very expensive. YES, for that money you want an instant impact. But can you guys seriously not see the danger he emits? I don't want to be that guy that brings up pre pre assists or anything like that but it's a fact that he's a f***ing direct player that unsettles the defense.

He's very raw. He's not there yet. But the potential is CLEARLY there and he is in MILES better form than Lacazette (whom I f***ing love)

Auba - Lacazette together is for when we got nothing to lose and we play 4-2-4

But starting games we need to pick one out of those 2

Martinelli - Aubameyang - Pepe

This has to be our front 3. Pepe. Has. To. f***ing. Start.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby gooney » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:46 pm

swipe right wrote:A complete waste of money and anything short is living in denial. If we didn’t buy him and played Martinelli, Saka, Nelson or Niketiah there would be no difference.

Yup, sadly for us when we spend big we lack the ruthlessness to get rid quick. People forget Gervinho after 1 season forced a move. If he didnt he would have been there way longer. By the time we give up on pepe, we will only be able to loan him out
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:40 pm

gooney wrote:
swipe right wrote:A complete waste of money and anything short is living in denial. If we didn’t buy him and played Martinelli, Saka, Nelson or Niketiah there would be no difference.

Yup, sadly for us when we spend big we lack the ruthlessness to get rid quick. People forget Gervinho after 1 season forced a move. If he didnt he would have been there way longer. By the time we give up on pepe, we will only be able to loan him out

Gervinho was here 2 full seasons and didn't force a move. We sold him to Roma.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:59 am

Just listening to the Arsenal Vision Podcast and they have made a good point.

On the right side, Martinelli completed 9 passes and 1 successful dribble out of 5. Our right is the side where our fullbacks don't overlap and Bellerin wasn't really getting forward and you can see from the heat map that he wasn't getting beyond the halfway line as much.

It's a massive isolated space in our right side in the attacking third where there isn't much support. That mentioned Pepe being a big space player and is more ideal for this particular situation because he can do the one on ones or beat two players to draw out defenders and create space for others.

How tough of a job and poor of a game Martinelli had, people should appreciate the job Pepe is doing. Heck, seeing how poor Auba is on the left in overall play, I know people appreciate Iwobi a little more. Wingers with that role have a tough job and they will frustrate when the lose the ball. I know Sanchez used to piss people off with the amount of risks he'd take.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to World Football