Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby LMAO » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 am

gooney wrote:
Santi wrote:Oh stop being so dramatic ffs. He’s a guy we spent a lot on, playing poor and sitting on the bench for now.

He’ll get chances, get settled and do much better than he has been. Leaving him on the bench til he shows otherwise in training and use martinelli for now.

Yeah break your record and treat the player like any other player. Big clubs don’t do this. The only loser here will be Arsenal who will lose financially. As Allen Iverson said.....we talking about training

Plus Hazard has been notorious for being lackluster in practice.

Some players just don't switch on until the lights come on.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby coach8smallball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:20 pm

LMAO wrote:
gooney wrote:
Santi wrote:Oh stop being so dramatic ffs. He’s a guy we spent a lot on, playing poor and sitting on the bench for now.

He’ll get chances, get settled and do much better than he has been. Leaving him on the bench til he shows otherwise in training and use martinelli for now.

Yeah break your record and treat the player like any other player. Big clubs don’t do this. The only loser here will be Arsenal who will lose financially. As Allen Iverson said.....we talking about training

Plus Hazard has been notorious for being lackluster in practice.

Some players just don't switch on until the lights come on.

fact. and it's the managers job to figure out who pepe is.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Hazard is an anomaly, he was world class at Chelsea from Day 1. Only off season he's ever had was during the Mourinho meltdown year of 2015/16, when he was thrown under the bus. And even then he had great moments like that solo goal v Spurs in the 2-2 that ended their title hopes.

I believe Pepe will come good, but he can't play the same role he did at Lille. He isn't our penalty taker; that alone halves his goal output. Dribbling past defenders is one of his strengths, but he needs to work on it more as his stepovers and other tricks have been easily neutralized by PL defenders.

Laca and Auba are better finishers inside the box. He needs to adjust his play style so that he is feeding passes to them.

I'd say Emery has already tried to accommodate him quite a lot by forcing Auba out wide for most of the game, which has led to a big drop in shots on goal.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby mel4 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:17 pm

alexafc12 wrote:I’d be more concerned if he were the only player underperforming.

I also don’t think the ridged formations Unai deployed were the best for him.

Hell we have 3 top top class forward payers and in 1.5 years Unai hasn’t brought out the best in them as a collective. He didn’t even decide on a formation to make our own

No wonder the lack of fluidity we witnessed.

I have wondered what you will be posting these days now that Unai is gone?

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 pm

I hope he turns it around to some degree from here, there is potential but hes sadly been the worst big summer signing so far.

I think we need to cool off thinking one game will turn everything around. He scored two great free kicks vs Vitoria but that's hasn't changed anything so far.

He wasn't as good as we expected him to be first things first so he needs to work on his passing, decision making as it is, this will take time. Its a difficult situation with the squad being so unbalanced anyway so we are going to have work with him for the next few months especially to rebuild his confidence at least and take a assessment come may on if he will really come good next year or if we really f***ked up buying him and we can't do much with him.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 pm

elkanofan wrote:I hope he turns it around to some degree from here, there is potential but hes sadly been the worst big summer signing so far.

I think we need to cool off thinking one game will turn everything around. He scored two great free kicks vs Vitoria but that's hasn't changed anything so far.

He wasn't as good as we expected him to be first things first so he needs to work on his passing, decision making as it is, this will take time. Its a difficult situation with the squad being so unbalanced anyway so we are going to have work with him for the next few months especially to rebuild his confidence at least and take a assessment come may on if he will really come good next year or if we really f***ked up buying him and we can't do much with him.

He is not going to get better not playing, but there is a huge problem with his defensive attitude, and for now because of how poor we are defensively and the huge space created in midfeild to back four he wont play probably, it's almost impossible to play Ozil and Pepe together it's like playing with 9 with out the ball, coincide that with a rest of midfeild either out of possition ball watching or non tacklers. Imo freddie is better to go all attack play laca in the ozil possition play pepe and martinelli wide and auba up front and go for gold
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 am

Was anyone else willing to pay 72 mil for him? I don’t think so.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:04 am

swipe right wrote:Was anyone else willing to pay 72 mil for him? I don’t think so.

If he can't make it under Freddie then he's truly fked, who's going to have more of a soft spot for an attacking skillful winger than Freddie Lujngberg?

Maybe that's why Freddies being tough on him, he expects more.

Its like being a striker and playing under Henry .......... he'll have certain expectations.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:33 am

It was a massive step up into a squad and an environment that is plainly very toxic - he's on a life changingly massive contract and I very much doubt anyone will take that on let alone pay us 72m for him - so whoever the manager is they have to chill and look at this lad as a long term option not some short term miracle fix. There are signs of a good player however some of the basics are also very poor ... not a good signing, more a wild gamble, but that's done and we need to make the best of it for him and for our club.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:33 am

The more important thing is what do we do with him. Pray he works out sooner than later.
It'll be the biggest fiasco in our history. We never had to pay up that much for a dud like him. It'll be 72 mil thrown out of the window, the budget for many mid to low level clubs.
Wenger brought a few duds like Sonogo , Sendoros, Squillaci, Santos, Denilson, but usually they were for next to nothing.
Wonder who gave the authority to buy someone that expensive w/o proper vetting.
Don't think the Kroenkes , tight- fisted that they are, would have allowed it. This guy , who called the shot should be out of the club ASAP.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:11 am

I don’t think he’s a bad player. Nor that he isn’t trying. It’s just that he gets no service. When you look at his time in France he comes across as a very smart operator in the final third. But we just can’t get the ball into the final third fast enough. I think the time has come for us to operate as a pure counter attacking team. Flood the midfield and absorb pressure at the edge of our box and then counter with pace using Auba and Pepe.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:42 am

swipe right wrote:I don’t think he’s a bad player. Nor that he isn’t trying. It’s just that he gets no service. When you look at his time in France he comes across as a very smart operator in the final third. But we just can’t get the ball into the final third fast enough. I think the time has come for us to operate as a pure counter attacking team. Flood the midfield and absorb pressure at the edge of our box and then counter with pace using Auba and Pepe.

Right there is the problem - gambling 20m on a mid-table Ligue 1 player is fine, spending 72m is crazy - the lad is not some 19 year old wonder kid, he's 24 and played over 150 games we should have known all about him before we signed him. The transition from knocking in a few goals against Nimes, Amiens, Reims and the like, then playing top EPL sides every week is massive. He may come good but paying 72m, and giving a five year contract, to a 24 year old with so little proven quality? who agreed to that?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:51 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:I don’t think he’s a bad player. Nor that he isn’t trying. It’s just that he gets no service. When you look at his time in France he comes across as a very smart operator in the final third. But we just can’t get the ball into the final third fast enough. I think the time has come for us to operate as a pure counter attacking team. Flood the midfield and absorb pressure at the edge of our box and then counter with pace using Auba and Pepe.

Right there is the problem - gambling 20m on a mid-table Ligue 1 player is fine, spending 72m is crazy - the lad is not some 19 year old wonder kid, he's 24 and played over 150 games we should have known all about him before we signed him. The transition from knocking in a few goals against Nimes, Amiens, Reims and the like, then playing top EPL sides every week is massive. He may come good but paying 72m, and giving a five year contract, to a 24 year old with so little proven quality? who agreed to that?

I bet Emery had nothing to do with his signing. This is the problem when you have a technical director and a head coach. If the technical director wanted Emery to thrive he’d have spent that money on one or two combative midfielders who play further up the park. I always thought Pepe was a luxury signing.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:42 pm

VCC wrote:
elkanofan wrote:I hope he turns it around to some degree from here, there is potential but hes sadly been the worst big summer signing so far.

He is not going to get better not playing, but there is a huge problem with his defensive attitude, and for now because of how poor we are defensively and the huge space created in midfeild to back four he wont play probably, it's almost impossible to play Ozil and Pepe together it's like playing with 9 with out the ball, coincide that with a rest of midfeild either out of possition ball watching or non tacklers. Imo freddie is better to go all attack play laca in the ozil possition play pepe and martinelli wide and auba up front and go for gold

We need to use him in rotation imo. Not a clue what formation we should use right now, whatever system we try we have problems tbh.

Not sure about playing Saka over him though. Like we are, that really will destroy any confidence he has left.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gooney » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:10 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:Was anyone else willing to pay 72 mil for him? I don’t think so.

If he can't make it under Freddie then he's truly fked, who's going to have more of a soft spot for an attacking skillful winger than Freddie Lujngberg?

Maybe that's why Freddies being tough on him, he expects more.

Its like being a striker and playing under Henry .......... he'll have certain expectations.

Just because Freddie was a winger doesn’t mean he will have soft spot for wingers. Wenger was a defender and he hated defenders

Freddie is swede and they are about about hard work and long ball football
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to World Football