Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby BS221B » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:23 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Everythings fine its just his end product which is pretty poor ....... although as a winger having end product is pretty fkin important.

He almost sounds like Iwobi then.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:30 pm

Needs to settle down and get his confidence back. Couldn't have scored 20 odd goals if he didn't know where the sticks are.
Importantly, he is our player after a big investment, so have to make something out of him.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby elkanofan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:31 pm

He is not a top quality player.

He is a momentum player! If he gets one of his cut in and bang top corner goals right, he will try to build momentum around it but he doesn't seem to understand how poor his productivity is because his decision making is atrocious. He just doesn't focus on the simple things enough.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:35 pm

aniym wrote:He's not ready. PEA is having to play as a winger and then rush into position to cover for his lack of ability on the ball.

Play him in EL games for now, he needs confidence with real goals, not charity penalties.

Fortunately we only paid for him in installments. If we can offload him for £50m we should do it. It was a mistake that we should rectify quickly.
I'd give him until Christmas.
A full season playing like he is and his value will be down to £5m.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby The Break Water » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:50 am

This guy is abysmal, looks like a scared Rabbit. Needs to be left out for a while, does not deserve a starting place at all.
The Break Water
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby The Break Water » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Everythings fine its just his end product which is pretty poor ....... although as a winger having end product is pretty fkin important.

I respect your opinions DiamondGooner and you make many good posts, but I'm afraid you're totally off the mark with this one. ''Everything is fine'' couldn't be further from the truth, I don't know what you're seeing but I think you're trying to convince yourself. He has so many flaws so far, there are lots of issues.
The Break Water
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby LMAO » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 am

Angelito wrote:I'd be glad if we sold [Ozil] because it'd mean the end of this Ozil saga and people could go to finding another scapegoat after Wenger and Ozil.

Think we have an answer.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Rockape » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am

LMAO wrote:
Angelito wrote:I'd be glad if we sold [Ozil] because it'd mean the end of this Ozil saga and people could go to finding another scapegoat after Wenger and Ozil.

Think we have an answer.

:rofll:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:36 am

I'm not concerned about his end product, I think it'll come when he's more settled.

The lack of tracking back is an issue though, it's just not part of his game and that needs to change.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Angelito » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am

LMAO wrote:

Think we have an answer.

Ahem:

Angelito wrote:
gooney wrote:I think he will be chaos. A smoother alexis....but an alexis. A lot of high risk play where he will frustrate, make qrong decisions and magic. Some of his dribbling was soo smooth

As I stated, when we signed him, that hopefully people won't get on his back when they realize he's not Messi. Forget Messi, he's not even a Hazard or an Alexis.

I know how our fans are. Soon, they will start slating him when they come to see that he's not worth £72m per se in an ideal market.

But we need such tricky and dynamic players. We needed a winger (and a CM) the most. We've filled both positions spectacularly.

I doubt he scores and assists over 10 goals this season. His presence, however, will give enough space to Lacazette and Aubameyang. I do hope he goes on to have a great season for us and beds in well. He has all the talent in the world to succeed in the PL.

I'm really excited to watch him play. He's one player who'd benefit playing with Ozil the most.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:08 am

Angelito wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Think we have an answer.

Ahem:

Angelito wrote:
gooney wrote:I think he will be chaos. A smoother alexis....but an alexis. A lot of high risk play where he will frustrate, make qrong decisions and magic. Some of his dribbling was soo smooth

As I stated, when we signed him, that hopefully people won't get on his back when they realize he's not Messi. Forget Messi, he's not even a Hazard or an Alexis.

I know how our fans are. Soon, they will start slating him when they come to see that he's not worth £72m per se in an ideal market.

But we need such tricky and dynamic players. We needed a winger (and a CM) the most. We've filled both positions spectacularly.

I doubt he scores and assists over 10 goals this season. His presence, however, will give enough space to Lacazette and Aubameyang. I do hope he goes on to have a great season for us and beds in well. He has all the talent in the world to succeed in the PL.

I'm really excited to watch him play. He's one player who'd benefit playing with Ozil the most.

Your "ahem" statement is partially true imo.
He's not worth the money we paid and he won't score and assist more than 10. He has a couple of assists - a corner and a square pass that led to a spectacular long range goal.

However, he's not showing he's dynamic at all. Quite the opposite. He can't control the ball, is slow in his link play, and is all too easily to take the ball off. He is actually very similar to Gervihno, except he is not as dangerous. We do need a winger, but on current showing Pepe is not the right player. Who knows, maybe he will all of a sudden come good, but so far it seems that he doesn;t have the control, vision, passing or shooting ability to be the kind of player one would expect for £72m or indeed for any top winger regardless of price.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:17 am

The Break Water wrote:

I respect your opinions DiamondGooner and you make many good posts, but I'm afraid you're totally off the mark with this one. ''Everything is fine'' couldn't be further from the truth, I don't know what you're seeing but I think you're trying to convince yourself. He has so many flaws so far, there are lots of issues.

I'm seeing good feet, pace, ability to take on and twist his way away from 2-3 players, attributes you want in a winger.

What I'm also seeing is if he were to put good passes and shots on the end of that play he'd be being celebrated.

So basically that's what I'm saying, he needs his end product up and running then I wouldn't see an issue.

What flaws other than end product are you seeing?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:37 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
The Break Water wrote:

I'm seeing good feet, pace, ability to take on and twist his way away from 2-3 players, attributes you want in a winger.

What I'm also seeing is if he were to put good passes and shots on the end of that play he'd be being celebrated.

So basically that's what I'm saying, he needs his end product up and running then I wouldn't see an issue.

So you see a 72 mil Gervinho. Scary.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:57 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
The Break Water wrote:

Iwobi has good feet (better than Pepe who seems to not really have the ball under full control), pace and can take on players (again, better than I am seeing from Pepe). He, like Pepe, struggles with any form of end product.

As to other flaws, I am seeing four. 1) He is very slow to link play when he picks up the ball - like he receives it then figures out what his going to do. 2) He's drifting into the middle and taking Aubamyang's space. (this was most noticeable against B'mouth, but it's been something he's also done in all his games). 3) He's lazy - when he loses it he doesn't chase back 4) He's weak. Defenders have no problem shoving him off the ball.

I'd like to see him hug the touchline and try to isolate the FB, take him on and get crosses in. Forget goals for now.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby FARM » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:26 pm

My main issue with Pepe is he seems so timid, he looks scared to death every time he gets into the penalty box. When he is outside the box he is ok'ish, but as soon as he gets close to the box its like he is in a big panic and doesn't know what to do and just starts lashing at his shots. He needs to calm down, he is always in a mad erratic rush, just calm down!!!!.

If he took his time and used his brain more he could be more effect, but so far he seems like he is in a big panic every time he is close to the goal, hence why his crosses and shots are going wayward.
Chickens, Turkeys, Pigs and Lambs, and more on my farm. Plenty of livestock to feed the masses. Come visit my farm, don't be a stranger.
FARM
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to World Football