Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Who plays false 9 in Pep's team?

If we want an insight into Arteta's mind re: the attack, that's the starting point.

Remember him starting no strikers at all during that first leg v Villarreal?

Yes Villareal and last season away to City where he played Willian in the central role up front.

He finally subbed on PEA and Martinelli at the 70th minute, when we were already 2 goals down.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:06 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

If we want an insight into Arteta's mind re: the attack, that's the starting point.

Yes Villareal and last season away to City where he played Willian in the central role up front.

He finally subbed on PEA and Martinelli at the 70th minute, when we were already 2 goals down.

I forgot Auba was available.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:27 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I forgot Auba was available.

He was recovering from malaria at the time, so it was a last ditch move.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:40 am

Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Lacazette started playing in the 10 behind Auba, he wasn't the forward striker so the role is more a 2nd striker in what would usually be a 4-4-1-1.

Also the reason he has started coming out of the box is because for nigh on 2 seasons where he only played as a box striker his goals were minimal, he's too short.

The ultimate false no9 was Thierry Henry.

As for Isak I think Arteta would of asked him to get in the box and use his height however ............ its not official we're after him, Vlahovic however was official plus this new Victor lad we are apparently looking at are the same profile CF's.

As I said we know what Arteta wants and its not a false 9, he could do that with any number of player we already have.

And Firmino?

Edit - To add....I disagree with the majority of the above because it sounds like you're mixing up what a false 9 is.

What about Firmino? I can only go on what I've seen and he whenever I have seen him plays as a CF hold up player, if that's what Klopp describes as a false 9 then whatever, that's his interpretation, I'm not going to argue.
Fact is I don't watch Liverpool apart from highlights and whenever I have its been Jota playing up front so I've seen little of Firmino's game outside of highlights so again, I'm not going to argue Klopps claim.

As for what is a false 9 ............

A false no9 is a striker who has a free role, not someone like Giroud who is a target CF or your typical striker who spends most of their time hovering in or around the box.

A false no9 comes deeper and gets involved in play, goes out to the left, goes out to the right, wherever they feel is best, its basically a striker who positionally wise is not tied to being in the box.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:19 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Lacazette started playing in the 10 behind Auba, he wasn't the forward striker so the role is more a 2nd striker in what would usually be a 4-4-1-1.

Also the reason he has started coming out of the box is because for nigh on 2 seasons where he only played as a box striker his goals were minimal, he's too short.

The ultimate false no9 was Thierry Henry.

As for Isak I think Arteta would of asked him to get in the box and use his height however ............ its not official we're after him, Vlahovic however was official plus this new Victor lad we are apparently looking at are the same profile CF's.

As I said we know what Arteta wants and its not a false 9, he could do that with any number of player we already have.

And Firmino?

Edit - To add....I disagree with the majority of the above because it sounds like you're mixing up what a false 9 is.

What about Firmino? I can only go on what I've seen and he whenever I have seen him plays as a CF hold up player, if that's what Klopp describes as a false 9 then whatever, that's his interpretation, I'm not going to argue.
Fact is I don't watch Liverpool apart from highlights and whenever I have its been Jota playing up front so I've seen little of Firmino's game outside of highlights so again, I'm not going to argue Klopps claim.

As for what is a false 9 ............

A false no9 is a striker who has a free role, not someone like Giroud who is a target CF or your typical striker who spends most of their time hovering in or around the box.

A false no9 comes deeper and gets involved in play, goes out to the left, goes out to the right, wherever they feel is best, its basically a striker who positionally wise is not tied to being in the box

So Liverpool aside, based off what you've described as a false 9 and what you've seen of our strikers, you still don't think Arteta adopts a false 9 system?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:35 am

Power n Glory wrote:So Liverpool aside, based off what you've described as a false 9 and what you've seen of our strikers, you still don't think Arteta adopts a false 9 system?

Arteta doesn't want it, we're currently being forced to have it because Laca found no joy in playing as a box CF.

It went from Auba up front as ST with Laca sitting in behind as a 2nd ST in the no10 position.

Then Auba got cancelled and Laca was made the ST, Laca right now probably could be considered to be playing a False 9 role because he's rarely in the box right now.

........... however, again, this isn't what Arteta wants as our upfront striker, he wants a CF target man and the strikers he's chasing prove that, the system he uses has that spot in it, the lone CF role.

We're suffering right now because he doesn't have a CF who can play that role effectively and its been that way for months.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:40 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:So Liverpool aside, based off what you've described as a false 9 and what you've seen of our strikers, you still don't think Arteta adopts a false 9 system?

Arteta doesn't want it, we're currently being forced to have it because Laca found no joy in playing as a box CF.

It went from Auba up front as ST with Laca sitting in behind as a 2nd ST in the no10 position.

Then Auba got cancelled and Laca was made the ST, Laca right now probably could be considered to be playing a False 9 role because he's rarely in the box right now.

........... however, again, this isn't what Arteta wants as our upfront striker, he wants a CF target man and the strikers he's chasing prove that, the system he uses has that spot in it, the lone CF role.

We're suffering right now because he doesn't have a CF who can play that role effectively and its been that way for months.

You're assuming that is what he wants. If you mainly watch Arsenal and not many other teams, how do you know the players we're being linked won't be used as false 9s? You've said yourself that you believe Henry was a false 9. He definitely has elements of a false 9 to his game with the free movement and roaming. Yet Alexander Isak has said he's modeled his game on Henry. The analysis I posted on him, if you read it, talks about his movement into channels and dropping deep. He's not a target man CF.

But we come back to the point of working with what we have if we fail to sign a striker. So far, Arteta has been using a false 9 like system and given how specific he is with position and structure in the team, I believe he'd have drilled Laca or Auba to play closer to the box by now if that's what he's looking for. Or he'd have bought a striker that suits his system much earlier if he's having to compromise in that area because it is key. He's had high praise for Laca's game and under Arteta, Laca's game has made a significant shift to what we're used to seeing. Whether it's a 3-4-3 or 4-2-3-1, Auba would predominantly play on the left with Laca playing through the middle but dropping off deep allowing Auba to cut inside from the wing. The 4-4-1-1 with Laca and Auba is recent thing he hasn't tried for a sustained period and has since abandoned it to play Odegaard and back to a 4-2-3-1 and in recent games a 4-1-4-1.

Also, when Laca and Auba aren't available, he's persisted with Nketiah, has been trying to sign him to a new deal and kept on giving him opportunities. He's even tried Willian and ESR as false 9s. So this just brings us back to why I posted that article on Pepe playing the false 9 as an alternative for the current system. Martinelli would also be a fine choice for me too if we fail to sign a striker.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:02 pm

PnG.

Another player we've been linked with is 6'5 called Gianlucca, also Vlahovic is classic CF target man and it is confirmed we bid for him.

So all this other talk is rhetorical, as for Laca I've explained that one twice now, we're going round in circles.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:42 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:PnG.

Another player we've been linked with is 6'5 called Gianlucca, also Vlahovic is classic CF target man and it is confirmed we bid for him.

So all this other talk is rhetorical, as for Laca I've explained that one twice now, we're going round in circles.

Again, if you haven't seen this Gianlucca play, are just assuming he's a penalty box target man because of how tall he is?

Agree to disagree on this one.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:34 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Again, if you haven't seen this Gianlucca play, are just assuming he's a penalty box target man because of how tall he is?

I'm basing it on us being linked with physically imposing strikers and the one player we know we were bidding for (the rest is rumour) Vlahovic.

If someone went all out for Vlahovic that doesn't tell me they want a false 9 at all.

Also, if we did want a false 9 then why are we struggling? there's loads of pacey or types of players who can play that role.

Even in our team Martinelli could do that role easily.

Why are we pushing so hard for Vlahovic or what seems to be tall, big players.

That's my evidence, where's yours?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:50 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I'm basing it on us being linked with physically imposing strikers and the one player we know we were bidding for (the rest is rumour) Vlahovic.

If someone went all out for Vlahovic that doesn't tell me they want a false 9 at all.

Also, if we did want a false 9 then why are we struggling? there's loads of pacey or types of players who can play that role.

Why are we pushing so hard for Vlahovic or what seems to be tall, big players.

That's my evidence, where's yours?

Evidence? You haven't seen Vlahovic or Gianluca Scamaca play! You said Liverpool don't use Firminho as a false 9. If you even take a look at Gianluca's highlights, you'll see he's good at dropping deep and link up play. Physicality is one thing but there has to be a good mix of technical skill there to help connect the attack or just end up with a similar situation to Auba. If the play can't pass the ball, we're just gonna lose possession high up the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCblWuhlllo&t=77s

You're not paying attention to what I've already written.

Besides, deadline day is approaching and it doesn't sound like we're close to signing anyone new. Since we're left with little options and a rigid manager sticking to the same approach, I would hope Arteta at least exhausts every possibility in an already rigid structure. It may not work because, lord knows, our midfield is another issue that needs addressing, but he can't continue to rotate the same sort of players and hope for the best. Martinelli and Pepe are two players that are a lot better closer to goal. If he'll try Willian and ESR as false 9s and he might as well give this a go if we're still firing blanks once we're passed this window.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:17 pm

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:41 pm

Ach wrote:https://www.90min.com/posts/arsenal-prepared-to-let-nicolas-pepe-leave-on-deadline-day

:rofll:

Another that needs to go, but ideally not now.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:43 pm

Why would we even consider sending him on loan, the guy scores goals and we get nothing out of a loan.

We seem to be endlessly loaning out players.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:45 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Why would we even consider sending him on loan, the guy scores goals and we get nothing out of a loan.

We seem to be endlessly loaning out players.

Arteta process
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to World Football