Nicolas Pépé

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Nicolas Pépé (19)

Postby Zenith » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Saved the day against Vitória and subsequently saw his match-winning performance rewarded with a spot on the bench.

Just Unai things, I guess - beyond the understanding of us, mere mortals.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby LMAO » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Zenith wrote:Saved the day against Vitória and subsequently saw his match-winning performance rewarded with a spot on the bench.

"Instead of building on that performance, go sit on the bench and think about what you've done. There will be no scoring under my watch."
-Emery, probably

Great way to shatter his confidence.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Enjoy seeing more of Saka if that's the case.

Or we could buy a decent winger.
There is still time to get rid of Pepe and put his failure down to a new league - we could still get £50m for him.

It's the beginning of December. We don't have the option to buy. We have 7 games to play before the 1st January.

I wouldn't worry too much about December or this season really. Target is to stay out of a relegation fight, which I think we can do for this year. We're the same number of pts from the bottom 3 as we are to the top 4 and we're heading in the direction of the former. For now, we're a mid table team with nothing to play for. That's just the reality now.
Next year, with no changes, is a relegation battle.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:53 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

There is still time to get rid of Pepe and put his failure down to a new league - we could still get £50m for him.

It's the beginning of December. We don't have the option to buy. We have 7 games to play before the 1st January.

I wouldn't worry too much about December or this season really. Target is to stay out of a relegation fight, which I think we can do for this year.

I believe the Board are worried about this month and season and want CL football. I also highly doubt we'll spend in January for interim manager. If Freddie can't find a suitable system for a £70m player, I highly doubt they'll trust the interim manager to spend more on a replacement. If Freddie doesn't get the job at the end of the season and we higher someone else, we may have another expensive player on our hands who doesn't fit in with that managers plans either.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Zenith wrote:Saved the day against Vitória and subsequently saw his match-winning performance rewarded with a spot on the bench.

He's played plenty of times since then and has been wank.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about December or this season really. Target is to stay out of a relegation fight, which I think we can do for this year.

I believe the Board are worried about this month and season and want CL football. I also highly doubt we'll spend in January for interim manager. If Freddie can't find a suitable system for a £70m player, I highly doubt they'll trust the interim manager to spend more on a replacement. If Freddie doesn't get the job at the end of the season and we higher someone else, we may have another expensive player on our hands who doesn't fit in with that managers plans either.

We paid £70m for Pepe, but he's not a £70m player in terms of talent.
He's not in the team because he's been rubbish. Saka has had more of an impact - though not much. Martinelli has had a MUCH bigger impact and should be starting ahead of Pepe.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Benching him when he's high on confidence after those 2 goals was wrong but let's not pretend emery is the only one who does that.

Anyone remember a certain Brazilian banging in 4 at anfield 12 years ago? Didn't start the next game and never did a thing for us again as confidence sapped and Wenger destroyed him.

I'm sure there's plenty more in those 12 years from many managers but that one sticks out.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:09 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He's not in the team because he's been rubbish. Saka has had more of an impact - though not much. Martinelli has had a MUCH bigger impact and should be starting ahead of Pepe.

You haven't addressed anything in my post. You have to start being realistic.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:11 pm

aniym wrote:

This

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:13 pm

HTF is he going to gain confidence if he doesn't get any playing time?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You haven't addressed anything in my post. You have to start being realistic.

I did. Whilst I tend to agree we're not going to allow Freddie to splash the cash, it won;t be because he can't find a place for Pepe. Pepe is behind Saka and Martinelli and quite rightly so.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Nuggets wrote:HTF is he going to gain confidence if he doesn't get any playing time?

JHC - he's already had plenty of time.
It's not like we haven't seen what he can do.
If he dazzles in training he'll get another chance.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:34 pm

Ljungberg believes Pepe is a talented player, but he insists the decision to leave him out was based on his performance in training.
FFS that's all we need a player who can't do the business in TRAINING after costing how much?????
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Nuggets wrote:Ljungberg believes Pepe is a talented player, but he insists the decision to leave him out was based on his performance in training.
FFS that's all we need a player who can't do the business in TRAINING after costing how much?????

Which would seem fairly obvious. If he was training well he'd be playing, but he obviously sucks.
My guess is that his training is the same level as his playing -i.e. that is his level.

Frankly, you only had to watch a little of Pepe in the PL to realise he is not good enough at this level.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 pm

aniym wrote:

''Plenty of times" 2 starts in 7.

What's so strange about the notion that not using that glimpse of form/confidence by not rewarding him with a start in the subsequent game might have been a mistake? :dontknow:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to World Football