Arsenal Supporters' Trust (AST)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arsenal Supporters' Trust (AST)

Postby Luzh 22 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:36 am

A free investment worth £350M? Who wouldn't take that?
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:48 am

Luzh 22 wrote:A free investment worth £350M? Who wouldn't take that?

He's taken Usmanov for a chump. Not only forced him out but, in a round about way, paying him with Usmanov's own money
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Phil71 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:The only way this guy sells up, is with mass fan action that damages his bottom line and brand, or TV £££ falls off massively. Until then we're fooked.

He'll be scared of fan action, because if it picks up pace here, there is a chance the fans of his other teams across the pond get a whiff of it. He doesn't want that kind of exposure.

If by some miracle that were to occur on such a huge scale, I'd suggest the adverse publicity might devalue his stock, thus encouraging him to ride the storm until it blew over, or put the club in such a bad light that no sensible buyer would consider paying what Kroenke would want.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Luzh 22 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:The only way this guy sells up, is with mass fan action that damages his bottom line and brand, or TV £££ falls off massively. Until then we're fooked.

He'll be scared of fan action, because if it picks up pace here, there is a chance the fans of his other teams across the pond get a whiff of it. He doesn't want that kind of exposure.

If by some miracle that were to occur on such a huge scale, I'd suggest the adverse publicity might devalue his stock, thus encouraging him to ride the storm until it blew over, or put the club in such a bad light that no sensible buyer would consider paying what Kroenke would want.

I think you underestimate what it could do to him. If for instance the fans of all his teams started protesting... well, he'd need his wife to bail him out. He couldn't afford to wait it out, especially given the fans of his US teams are not enamoured with him, coupled with a billion pound loan for a new stadium.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:An empty stadium would make Kroenke have to sell up ! The fans can do a lot.

It wouldn't stop him making this compulsory purchase.

Maybe not .. but he would sell up fast once he realises he killed the club. The fans can make the club uninvestible
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Phil71 wrote:

No way. the same thing happened with Liverpool, fan protests over Hicks and Gillet. Then Fenway Sports rolled in.

If the fans make Arsenal unattractive to Kroenke, empty stadiums, negative exposure to business partners and sponsors, Kroenke will have no option but to sell the club. The whole world would know why the club was in dire straits and normality would return once Kroenke returns, so no lasting effect
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

I think you underestimate what it could do to him. If for instance the fans of all his teams started protesting... well, he'd need his wife to bail him out. He couldn't afford to wait it out, especially given the fans of his US teams are not enamoured with him, coupled with a billion pound loan for a new stadium.

Admirable though the idea might be, it's not going to happen.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Luzh 22 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Admirable though the idea might be, it's not going to happen.

I never said it would. You stated "if by some miracle...". My very first post in this thread outlines what I expect to realistically happen.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 pm

I had suggested that fan disobedience at matches (setting off flares, chanting abusive songs, booing the EL anthem etc) that gets the club fined might be a way to do something.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

No way. the same thing happened with Liverpool, fan protests over Hicks and Gillet. Then Fenway Sports rolled in.

If the fans make Arsenal unattractive to Kroenke, empty stadiums, negative exposure to business partners and sponsors, Kroenke will have no option but to sell the club. The whole world would know why the club was in dire straits and normality would return once Kroenke returns, so no lasting effect

I think things were going that way with last season given how empty the ground was at times. So I bet the Kroenkes threw Wenger under the bus to get the feelgood fans back temporarily.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk