Our defending under emery

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Our defending under emery

Postby gooney » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:30 am

I know people will say its only 3 games. But we are so lucky to be only conceding 6 goals. With new manager one thing no one expected was our defense to become more open

Tactically emery has decided to move the full backs a lot further up than wenger. Bellerin and monreal spend a lot of time not only high in opposition half, but in their penalty box. This means any decent counter attack you will go at our defence without fullbacks and its so easy to create chances. Another issue is the central midfield specially xhaka has no pace. So they cant do much recovery on counters.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Our defending under emery

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

TBF, Wenger inherited an already well drilled Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn and Keown. Emery inherited a disorganised shower of s***. It's going to take more than one summer!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:44 am

1] Monreal did not play first game.

2] Kolasinac is out.

3] Koscielny is out.

Sokratis is a steady pedlar and is good signing for the money he came in for but we in addition, should have gone for a marquee CB.

Mustafi on his day can be epic and other days trash.

We have Xhaka in the midfield who is too slow at good at covering tracks of advancing full backs.

Now with all these limitations and this being still the very beginning of his reign he has had the right approach with a collective defending policy plus a high pressing approach. The problem he has is that he does not have the optimal personnel to execute his vision. He needs another transfer window and a season under his belt to get us playing the way he wants us to. The high line approach should be used as a case by case approach till the team beds in.

A midfield of Guendouzi, Torreira and Ramsey after it has a period of settling in should do wonders for us. Xhaka should be a rotation, EL and cup option for us. The football is too quick in EPL for Xhaka. We should play only one of Ozil/Mkhi otherwise we loose our balance.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:13 am

Im not talking about what he inherited. But what he decided to do with monreal and bellerin. He decided to move them further up and make the defense more open. He is lucky we got win yesterday. But he has to change approach asap. Look closely how our fullbacks playef and its clear its tactical
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:16 am

Let's switch back to three at the back. :hiding:

Leno
Lichtsteiner - Mustafi - Sokratis
Bellerin - Torreira - Guendouzi - Monreal
Ozil
Lacazette - Aubameyang

One defensive injury and we're f***ked tho.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:23 am

I think his philosophy, along with that of Guardiola and Klopp, is simply that attack is the best form of defense.

Attack the opponent with pressing when you lose the ball. Attack the opponent immediately when you have the ball. Push as far up the pitch as possible so that you can do each of these things as effectively as possible.

If you play against a good opponent with this method you will probably concede goals. In those cases you just have to outscore them. But if you have the right players, and you get this system right, you will win against most teams.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby KG3 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 am

Angelito wrote:Let's switch back to three at the back. :hiding:

Leno
Ozil
Lacazette - Aubameyang

Never played CB in his career but yeah let's convert him into a CB alongside two average defenders
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:34 am

KG3 wrote:

Leno
Ozil
Lacazette - Aubameyang

Never played CB in his career but yeah let's convert him into a CB alongside two average defenders

Gosh! Worst thing EVA to happen at Arsenal. :lipssealed:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Manoban » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:41 am

Our defenders simply aren't very good. On top of that Xhaka offers 0 protection.

What do you expect
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby UFGN » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:49 am

Leno
Ozil
Lacazette - Aubameyang

If Emery ever reads that post and is inspired to try it, I swear as god is my witness, I will find you.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 am

UFGN wrote:

Leno
Ozil
Lacazette - Aubameyang

If Emery ever reads that post and is inspired to try it, I swear as god is my witness, I will find you.

I wouldn't worry, Emery is obviously adamant on playing his 4-3-3 so this isn't going to happen ever imo.

As for our defenders, Bellerin for me is the only real liability which could be fixed by playing Lich who I'm a big fan of.

CB's wise ......... I have to admit, I like Sokratis, he's rough and tough, adds some steel, used his body to make that great block yesterday, hell even Mustafi is not doing bad.

What's hurting our CB's is Emery's high line, they are practically on the half way line and one good ball over the top sends our CB's scrambling to get back in position if the striker beats the off side trap, quite frankly its a retarded system and its so make or break, its like a bad gamble every time a through ball is played.

If we stopped doing that we'd look a lot better.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:27 pm

UFGN wrote:

Leno
Ozil
Lacazette - Aubameyang

:hiding:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:TBF, Wenger inherited an already well drilled Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn and Keown. Emery inherited a disorganised shower of s***. It's going to take more than one summer!

:clap: :clap: spot on.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:30 pm

His system is similar to spurs Liverpool and city, but without the players to properly execute it at the moment and players that have to learn to play like that.

They also have to get up to a level of fitness that is required to play a pressing game which takes time, but also the personnel who have that sort of engine and work ethic.

Monreal mustafi are too slow to make positional mistakes and to then recover.

Our wingers are not quick enough either to track back, as they are now ozil / mkhi or iwobi when our high pressure high line attacking formation breaks down. Also, the defenders are not used to that situationally, a reason why we keep getting destroyed in behind regularly and it looks so obvious.

Emery is trying to impose the basic principals of his style with a squad that's not yet suited to it because eventually it will click with the squad and we will get new blood in to make it work better.

Lpool had to wait for Trent Alexander, Robertson salah etc. To come into the fold and perform. They had quite a few seasons with big wins and strange loses before they've started to click now. They get the system and they have the players to impose it.

Pep spent 250m to get the fbs to complete his team for his tactics, he was struggling with zabs and sagna before that.

Potch has been switching fbs for ages now and you can see his squad understand what needs to happen, they've just not got enough quality to rotate across the 11.

People panicking about defensive fragility after 3 games are doing just that, panicking. Start panicking after a season imo.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:TBF, Wenger inherited an already well drilled Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn and Keown. Emery inherited a disorganised shower of s***. It's going to take more than one summer!

:clap: :clap: spot on.

Wenger built an invincible defence from scratch.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk