Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Welcome, Matteo Guendouzi

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 pm

Sims wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
Sims wrote:our early stages fa cup/europa league/carling cup line up looks p f***ing good atm

Cech
Lichsteiner - Chambers - Holding - Kolasinac
Elneny
Guendouzi - AMN
Nelson - Nketiah - Iwobi

ESR, Willock, Mavididi on the bench too

Regards your formation, why do you have Elneny as the DM as opposed to Guendouzi?

Guendouzi’s a better footballer it’ll be a waste to have him patrolling in front of the defence

But isn't that the position he's been playing from to produce the technique, performance and potential you've witnessed? I'm not saying that he can't play further forward as good players can usually play two or more positions, but to say that he'd be wasted playing there is a bit insulting, especially to Torriera and the history of damage we've suffered from not having had anyone decent for the role for so long.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby yadunoe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:23 am

im looking forward to having him play some games here and there but i still dont think hes ready right now to be a week in week out starter but maybe as the season progresses he will be
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:24 am

yadunoe wrote:im looking forward to having him play some games here and there but i still dont think hes ready right now to be a week in week out starter but maybe as the season progresses he will be

Agreed. I expect him to start from bench initially and don't think it would be a good idea to throw him in at the deep end as it were.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby LMAO » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:33 am

I like what I see and expect him to play a noticeable role in the upcoming campaign. But we also have to remember Guendouzi is still a teen, so he'll have the occasional mistake in him.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:12 am

If he is good enough he is old enough, I don't buy into this. "he is too young" argument, lots of players have made massive impacts in first team football as teenagers!

No reason he can't be a starter in the first team, he already has more ability than half of our CMs.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 am

theHotHead wrote:If he is good enough he is old enough, I don't buy into this. "he is too young" argument, lots of players have made massive impacts in first team football as teenagers!

No reason he can't be a starter in the first team, he already has more ability than half of our CMs.

I too believe in that old adage, but my issue is not with his age or ability but level of experience. Different pressure to have put in some good sub appearances in the prem and thus earned the opportunity to start, than that going into our first couple of games with too much expectation on you.

Unless we were talking about Mbappe, if it was suggested that we'd be starting the season with a sub £10M French teenager only a few short weeks ago, there would have been a holy inquest into why we hadn't got an experienced, finished article and no doubt raised some fears that Wenger hadn't really left the building.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 am

theHotHead wrote:If he is good enough he is old enough, I don't buy into this. "he is too young" argument, lots of players have made massive impacts in first team football as teenagers!

Agreed.

If 19 is too young tell that to World Cup winner Mbappe who unlike veteran Giroud, actually scored goals.

Guendouzi obviously needs a run out first in a competitive Prem game preferably against lower opposition than City first but if he plays like he does in the friendlies then he needs to played.

If he's better than Xhaka then by not playing him we only hurt ourselves.

Only Arsenal academy youngsters seem to need breaking in till their 24 yrs old ......... do you know why that is? its not because of "Too much pressure" its because they're not good enough to begin with.

LMAO wrote:I like what I see and expect him to play a noticeable role in the upcoming campaign. But we also have to remember Guendouzi is still a teen, so he'll have the occasional mistake in him.

Our whole defense had mistakes in them and their vets so what's the excuse, as long as he makes "less mistakes" than Xhaka or whoever he takes over from, again, what are we missing?

A better player is a better player regardless of age, if he's not a better player then the bench it is, I don't see the confusion tbh.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:

I too believe in that old adage, but my issue is not with his age or ability but level of experience. Different pressure to have put in some good sub appearances in the prem and thus earned the opportunity to start, than that going into our first couple of games with too much expectation on you.

Unless we were talking about Mbappe, if it was suggested that we'd be starting the season with a sub £10M French teenager only a few short weeks ago, there would have been a holy inquest into why we hadn't got an experienced, finished article and no doubt raised some fears that Wenger hadn't really left the building.

I hear you but I don't think experience matters for the very reason that, if you are good enough - you are good enough !! The Premier League has a long history of fantastic teenagers cutting their teeth in the first team and doing fantastically well ... with no experience.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:17 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Agreed.

If 19 is too young tell that to World Cup winner Mbappe who unlike veteran Giroud, actually scored goals.

Guendouzi obviously needs a run out first in a competitive Prem game preferably against lower opposition than City first but if he plays like he does in the friendlies then he needs to played.

If he's better than Xhaka then by not playing him we only hurt ourselves.

Only Arsenal academy youngsters seem to need breaking in till their 24 yrs old ......... do you know why that is? its not because of "Too much pressure" its because they're not good enough to begin with.

LMAO wrote:I like what I see and expect him to play a noticeable role in the upcoming campaign. But we also have to remember Guendouzi is still a teen, so he'll have the occasional mistake in him.

Our whole defense had mistakes in them and their vets so what's the excuse, as long as he makes "less mistakes" than Xhaka or whoever he takes over from, again, what are we missing?

A better player is a better player regardless of age, if he's not a better player then the bench it is, I don't see the confusion tbh.

I don't know where this" only Arsenal academy youngsters seem to need breaking in till their 24 " thing comes from ?
For the last 2 seasons we have had more academy premier league minutes than any other club
The following are total career minutes for players under 24 still at the club is
Bellerin (23) 13'589
Iwobi ( 22) 6,002
Maitland-niles (20) 2'394
Nelson (18) 734
Willock (18) 519
Nketiah (19) 127
I agree entirely with the old enough good enough thing but I found it particularly irritating when the co commentator at the athletico game on Thursday was going open season on Wenger and the Arsenal youth.
He may have taken his eye off the ball with regards developing players further but as far as giving youth a chance initially there are few better.
Where was all this criticism when we were being told careful what you wish for when we knew Wenger was no longer the right man for the job 6 and half years before he left ?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 pm

theHotHead wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

I hear you but I don't think experience matters for the very reason that, if you are good enough - you are good enough !! The Premier League has a long history of fantastic teenagers cutting their teeth in the first team and doing fantastically well ... with no experience.

I hear you too and maybe the years of watching talented players fail to fulfill their early promise has left me overly cautious about relying on inexperienced youth. Remember, only 3 years ago Iwobi broke through and was doing the biz, at times looking like a star in the making, but mentioning him now normally results in pure dogs abuse.

Trust me, I really like the look of this kid big time, but considering our situation in the cold light of day I would rather we purchased the likes of an Nzonzi to play alongside Torriera and virtually guarantee a solid base to our midfield and the effective shield for our defense that we clearly need.

Guendouzi being back up to such a pair would not be detrimental to his development but the opposite, especially if he is to start games in the Europa, F.A and and league cups.

What I would hate to see is us start the season with Torriera and Guendouzi, the former get injured and for us then to be reliant on the kid partnered with Xhaka or Elneny for a period of time in the league. We need to balance calculated risks against good long term planning.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:30 pm

starmandb wrote:I don't know where this" only Arsenal academy youngsters seem to need breaking in till their 24 " thing comes from ?
For the last 2 seasons we have had more academy premier league minutes than any other club
The following are total career minutes for players under 24 still at the club is
Bellerin (23) 13'589
Iwobi ( 22) 6,002
Nelson (18) 734
Willock (18) 519
Nketiah (19) 127
I agree entirely with the old enough good enough thing but I found it particularly irritating when the co commentator at the athletico game on Thursday was going open season on Wenger and the Arsenal youth.
He may have taken his eye off the ball with regards developing players further but as far as giving youth a chance initially there are few better.
Where was all this criticism when we were being told careful what you wish for when we knew Wenger was no longer the right man for the job 6 and half years before he left ?

What I mean is there seems to be a marked difference between our academy promising youth which rarely bare fruit into top players and other clubs who's youngsters are banging on the door at 19, Mbappe and Guendouzi being just two examples, that 17-18 yr old Chelsea winger from the other night being another.

With players like Iwobi, Akpom, Frimpong, Denilson etc we're told "Its too much pressure, its too soon" which to me now after all these years I've come to notice that just ends up in "They're really just not good enough".

Nkietiah is fine, Smith-Rowe's looking good and you can see they could already play 1st team football if needed but AMN, Reiss etc, not too sure, our other youngsters are even worse.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:34 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
starmandb wrote:I don't know where this" only Arsenal academy youngsters seem to need breaking in till their 24 " thing comes from ?
Bellerin (23) 13'589
Iwobi ( 22) 6,002
Nelson (18) 734
Willock (18) 519
Nketiah (19) 127

What I mean is there seems to be a marked difference between our academy promising youth which rarely bare fruit into top players and other clubs who's youngsters are banging on the door at 19, Mbappe and Guendouzi being just two examples, that 17-18 yr old Chelsea winger from the other night being another.

With players like Iwobi, Akpom, Frimpong, Denilson etc we're told "Its too much pressure, its too soon" which to me now after all these years I've come to notice that just ends up in "They're really just not good enough".

Nkietiah is fine, Smith-Rowe's looking good and you can see they could already play 1st team football if needed but AMN, Reiss etc, not too sure, our other youngsters are even worse.

Chelsea don't give their academy players a chance though mate
The last one to make it out of their academy was John terry and he is 38
I listed nketiah but he was actually at Chelsea and never got a chance
Youth players have always been a punt
We have a pretty good strike rate of them getting into the first team and building a career
starmandb

Postby Santi » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Hudson Odoi is sick though, hope they give him a chance now they have a half decent manager who isn't just gonna spend 500m.

Mates been banging on about him for 2 years now, hopefully takes Willian/Pedro's spot.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 pm

just say the name to yourself in your head -- xhaka. xhaka.

starts almost all the time.

then think on this kid and what your eyes tell you.

nuff sed.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football