Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (29)

Postby VCC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Santi wrote:
VCC wrote:100% behind Arteta on this, I hope this applies to his most expensive player to whom i have never fight for his team mates.

But the logic doesn't make sense. Clearly he wants to be here, he's probably the most passionate about the club and clearly always fights to stick up for his team.

Just seems like a young kid with a bit of an ego problem, but only in the respect he makes jokes behind Arteta's back and has a bit more fun than the manager wants him to. Just reeks of Arteta trying to stamp his authority more than anything to me.

Disappointing.

I think the issue is more the impression he leaves whilst representing the club, there has to be alot more to his last fall out
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Losmeister » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:11 pm

VCC wrote:
Santi wrote:
VCC wrote:100% behind Arteta on this, I hope this applies to his most expensive player to whom i have never fight for his team mates.

But the logic doesn't make sense. Clearly he wants to be here, he's probably the most passionate about the club and clearly always fights to stick up for his team.

Just seems like a young kid with a bit of an ego problem, but only in the respect he makes jokes behind Arteta's back and has a bit more fun than the manager wants him to. Just reeks of Arteta trying to stamp his authority more than anything to me.

Disappointing.

I think the issue is more the impression he leaves whilst representing the club, there has to be alot more to his last fall out

the kid obvioulsy has a problem and has had a problem... a manager calling BS on a player who is immature and NOT THAT talented?
fine by me.

that he tries to play the hard man as a skinny twink mophaired t**t.. doesnt do a whole lot for me...

i'd rathet he styop throwing himslef tyo ground while losing possession and whingeing for a nonexisent foul.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Actually he hasn't done much over the two yrs now. Hasn't scored much, provided much ,defended much, but made the team vulnerable by vacating his position and responsibilities... indecisive, indisciplined..
Not much to root for. No wonder the mgmt is indifferent to him.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:31 pm

By James Benge for Football.London:

The inside story of Matteo Guendouzi's Arsenal troubles and what Mikel Arteta has done

Guendouzi has been training alone for two weeks and has not taken Arteta's olive branches

What will surely have frustrated Mikel Arteta most about Matteo Guendouzi over recent weeks is that he has given the French youngster numerous opportunities to make amends and repair his fraying ties with Arsenal.

football.london understands that Arteta has given Guendouzi several opportunities, both formally and informally, to apologise for disciplinary matters that have seen him exiled from first team training since the 2-1 defeat to Brighton over a fortnight ago.

In that match Guendouzi had taunted Brighton players about their salaries and acted with a lack of “humility” in the words of Seagulls striker Neal Maupay. Though Arteta publicly rebuffed the suggestion that his players are lacking such a characteristic he is known to have been deeply unimpressed by the youngster’s conduct.

He was not alone. Arsenal are a club that pride themselves in acting in the right way on and off the pitch. Guendouzi’s conduct at the Amex Stadium did not reach those standards and is known to have left several staff members unimpressed.

Since that game he has not trained with the first team squad and is working alone. It should be noted that Arteta has not banished him for good from his Arsenal plans, though the longer his exile the harder it is to envisage him returning.

Arteta’s public utterances when asked on Guendouzi have been consistent, that nothing has changed but that any player who wants to “jump on the boat” was more than welcome to do so.

The defeat at the Amex Stadium was not the first occasion in which the midfielder has left Arteta frustrated since he took over in December. Guendouzi was dropped from the matchday squad entirely for a win over Newcastle in February, paying the price for his conduct on a trip to Dubai during the winter break.

Yet Arteta soon reintegrated him into the squad and it remains possible that if Guendouzi is willing to show he has changed he could have a future at Arsenal if he wants it. Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Dani Ceballos have already learned that being chastised by the head coach publicly need not lead to lasting repercussions.

Arsenal held a meeting with Guendouzi in the aftermath of the Brighton defeat in which it was relayed to him that they would be reluctant to lose him this summer. Yet sources close to the player declined to confirm or deny whether, as was reported in the French press at the time, the 21-year-old asked to leave.

That choice may now be taken out of his time with Arsenal ready to cash in on Guendouzi, who has two years left on the contract he signed when he joined from Lorient in the summer of 2018. It was a deal that the club were ready to extend until recently, so convinced were they with the talent of the young midfielder even if his temperament was often questioned.

Now he could be one of the club’s most sellable assets, a 21-year-old who is already established on the fringes of the France national team and who proved early in the season that he has the quality to swing Premier League games on his own. It is not the sort of talent that many clubs would be in a rush to lose but equally Guendouzi’s sale might go a long way towards funding a deal for top target Thomas Partey or Arsenal and Atletico Madrid could even swap the two.

Guendouzi will certainly be worth more to Arsenal than the £8million they paid for him two years ago and as such will be viewed as a shrewd investment by the club hierarchy. Yet if there is no rapprochement between player and Arteta there will be no little disappointment in losing a talented prospect.

But Arteta has given Guendouzi more than one chance, even in recent weeks, to change his trajectory. If that does not change then it is hard to envisage a future for the youngster in north London.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:11 pm

My thoughts after he had been dropped completely for the first two games post Brighton, was that Arteta might have the approach that had Matteo also been scrutinised to the forensic extent of Eddie last night, then he too could have been banned and unavailable for the next 3 league games.

On the principal that this time the outcome was in our favour but by no more than the flip of a coin instead of by Geunduozi himself displaying a professional attitude, omitting him as though he indeed had been banned might just emphasise to the young Frenchman the stupidity and disappointment of missing games there was absolutely no good reason to have missed.

But with things seemingly taking a downward trajectory, I'm not so sure anymore that this is just a case of our taskmaster hammering home the need for absolute discipline and commitment and it being duly appreciated as no more than that.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Alexis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 pm

https://twitter.com/Freddie_Paxton/stat ... 12226?s=20

Off reddit

**From the thread**:

“Guendouzi’s problem is not physical and is not technical. It’s his attitude, it’s not good for the team or the coach. My relationship with him wasn’t very good”

“I picked him for a cup game against Nice but he got booked early on. The ref told me at half time to warn Guendouzi: one more foul and you’re off, but in the second half nothing changed”

“I was left with no choice but to sub him off. When I did, he refused to shake my hand”.

He then featured just once more that season. The next, Landreau took over as manager, Guendouzi fell out with him as well & was excluded from the team for 3 months

“He took his job seriously, his training was no problem, and his character is to always want to win. Sometimes when he talks it’s good. But sometimes he talks badly. He talks too much”

“His talent isn’t in question, that’s not the issue. He can be a top, top player & I think he can still succeed abroad. It’s up to him to change his attitude”

Fast forward to his time at Arsenal, he has:

- acted up under Emery

- been reprimanded by Arteta for incidents with teammates

- been reprimanded by Edu for embarrassing himself at a team dinner in Dubai

- Brighton incident & subsequent meeting in which he ‘did not impress’
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:28 pm

he's an entitled t**t
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:47 pm

Losmeister wrote:he's an entitled t**t
Yeah. Like someone has mentioned. A strong leader needs to slap some humility into him.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:15 am

There have been plenty of players down the years that have had that arrogance and contentiousness about them.

We need players with a bit of fight and spirit. I think one of the worst things Wenger did in his latter years with the club was fill the changing room with agreeable pansies.

If we can work with this lad to at least tone it down amongst his team mates and have respect for the manager's authority, I think we should keep him.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 am

Phil71 wrote:There have been plenty of players down the years that have had that arrogance and contentiousness about them.

We need players with a bit of fight and spirit. I think one of the worst things Wenger did in his latter years with the club was fill the changing room with agreeable pansies.

If we can work with this lad to at least tone it down amongst his team mates and have respect for the manager's authority, I think we should keep him.

This is where a strong captain/leader would help, pansy he is not loony toon he is. :biggrin:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:46 am

Nuggets wrote:
Phil71 wrote:There have been plenty of players down the years that have had that arrogance and contentiousness about them.

This is where a strong captain/leader would help, pansy he is not loony toon he is. :biggrin:

Yes. I think Arteta is going about it the right way. Stamp his authority. Training alone will be killing him.

A young lad like that would have done great under the captaincy of Adams or Vieira.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am

Phil71 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

Yes. I think Arteta is going about it the right way. Stamp his authority. Training alone will be killing him.

A young lad like that would have done great under the captaincy of Adams or Vieira.

Now they were captains. ;)
Nuggets

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 am

I say take the lad down a notch further and make him cut his hair off.

He is being a dick. Sell him and get a man like Partly or Pereria to do his job.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am

I pretty much echo your sentiments Phil 71, but am starting to fear that the SS Geunduozi might already be too late in spotting the iceberg ahead marked 'Arsenal Career'.

All that needs to be said about this boys talent, ability and potential has already been said by both professionals and fans alike.

However, these same people also tend to recognise that he is far from the finished article and still has a handful of flaws to eradicate from his game and therein lies the problem.

Addressing the flaws and striving to improve himself game upon game like Saka has (sorry but I can't think of a better example than Saka right now) is starting to appear secondary to his egocentric and narsasistic tendancies.

Too much too soon? Probably, but in that he too has been hauled up by a golden rope from the lower echelons of French football, and presented with a great opportunity puts him massively at odds with the likes of a Laurent Koschielny who was humility personified.

Like in 'A Christmas Carol', maybe Matteo needs to be visited by the footballing ghosts of Nicolas Anelka and Lee Sharpe to come to realise that you can go from a bright young thing to bit of tarnished old tat nobody wants, quicker than a BMW M5 with the Stig behind the wheel.

The likes of Mario Ballotelli and Adrien Rabiot are also fully paid up members of the more trouble than they're worth club that had Joey Barton working the door before he turned poacher become game keeper.

Truth is, there will always be players who come along and buck the trend, have the air of entitlement or simply don't appreciate the opportunity they have that most of us as fans would kill for and they might never appreciate it until it's too late.

Hopefully, somebody will very shortly make a washing up bowl full of coffee and place it at the side of his bed come 7am.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gooney » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:03 am

I remember there was a time in the media where actual experts were saying we could do with someone like Barton because he is passionate lol. I remember us playing them and his getting a stupid red card which made it much harder for his team. But only in England is perception a reality. When things are going bad the guy who screams, lashes out on opponents and get in refs face get praise as it shows he cares. Nowhere else in the world would this character be praised except for England. Watch his performance vs Brighton. He did nothing. Instead when the game was over he behaved like a child and people praise him
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to World Football