Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (29)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:28 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Lol - Guendouzi's tweet was taken down less than 10 minutes after he put it up...
He's already pissed off his new club by the look of it
:)

What tweet was it?

He posted a tweet in the Hertha kit with a message about his new team mates... was literally up for 5 minutes (and picked up by all the media outlets)... then it vanished and a couple of minutes later Arsenal tweeted the news .
:rofll:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Angelito wrote:I haven't seen a mentor in him yet. A trainer, a technical enforcer, a superb assimilator? Sure. A mentor, not yet.

Exactly right.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Lol - Guendouzi's tweet was taken down less than 10 minutes after he put it up...
He's already pissed off his new club by the look of it
:)

What tweet was it?

Imagine if it was a "Finally I joined a big club" or "Finally I get to play with some decent players" tweet.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (on loan - Hertha BSC)

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:12 pm

Good luck to the lad. Treated disgustingly by a muppet manager.

Go have a great loan
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 pm

Angelito wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Arteta should have swallowed his pride and kept him

Agreed.

That's what Wenger did with Bendtner. He basically told him he's staying as a back up.

Arteta seems too bullish. Unfortunately, he will learn at our expense. :rolleyes:

Arteta as rookie-manager doesn't have the credentials Wenger had back then, though.

Having a code of conduct for one player and another for the rest of the squad could open up a can of worms that's way more unfavourable to the club's state than Guendouzi's exile.

Having said that, the club's lack of proactivity and efficiency in the transfer market is nothing short of inexcusable.

That's where people management comes in. That's where things get tricky.

I don't know what really went down apart from what I saw at Brighton. But every individual has to be dealt with differently. There's always a risk of alienating someone else. That's where you have to know whether to be a mentor or a dictator.

It's basic management that's applicable everywhere.

We need to ask ourselves if this is consistent. Xhaka is another troublesome being and the 2018 WC incident alluded to that. His actions as Gunners' captain does too. But he is amongst the first names on the team sheet despite being a mediocre player.

Guendouzi, in contrast, is an upcoming talent. He *could* be bullied. Whether he was or wasn't, that's another thing. But if you can't deal with someone who's barely past his teens, and have to create a narrative of non-negotiables, whilst one of our highest earning players is sitting out for reasons that neither Arteta or Edu, nor Josh Kroenke is willing to divulge, questions have to be asked.

I'm a believer in human potential. Teenagers and post-teenagers could get rowdy. Now, if they chose to take the path of Bendtner or Balotelli, or wish to learn and grow, that has to be gauged. Perhaps Mikel has. I don't know.

I haven't seen a mentor in him yet. A trainer, a technical enforcer, a superb assimilator? Sure. A mentor, not yet.

All good in theory but you have to ask yourself why is it that he's only gone on loan to Hertha Berlin?

Arteta's not the only coach to not want to deal with this player. The fact that the world knows we want rid of him should have put every club on high alert if clubs thought he'd be worth the hassle. As said before, reputation travels and clubs must not rate him that highly.

Usually, when a talented players has a public fall out with his club, has a bit of a bad rep, they tend to find their way to another top club. Balotelli, Ibrahimovic, Anelka, Adebayor, Tevez, Saurez...usually another club sees the bargain and tries to swoop in. There is usually always a coach out there that things they can get through to the player.

It's early days for Guendouzi but you have to ask why is it why got it for so cheap in the first place and why he's only gone on loan to Hertha Berlin. It's not just Arteta. It's also unfair to judge his mentorship skills based on this one situation. You're ignoring Maitland Niles, Saka, Pepe, Willock and the rest of the young players he's taking his time to mentor.

As for Xhaka...that situation is different. He had a fallout with the fans. It's not the same as reports saying he's a dick and pisses off everyone around the club. Players and staff. Can't stand Xhaka as a player but it seems to have the respect of all managers he's played under and players around him. That's the difference.

Hopefully Guendouzi can grow up and come back a better player and more mature. This may be the wake up call he needs.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Callum » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Ach wrote:Good luck to the lad. Treated disgustingly by a muppet manager.

Go have a great loan

Why do you dislike Arteta so much? Is it simply because you wanted Ancelotti?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:02 pm

Callum wrote:

Go have a great loan

Ignore him he’s just trolling.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:03 pm

Rockape wrote:
Callum wrote:

Go have a great loan

Ignore him he’s just trolling.

I know, I'm used to him. Just curious sometimes.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:08 pm

Callum wrote:

Go have a great loan

One of our worst players ever becomes our manager. Needed to hit the ground running. Failed that. Pre lockdown was as bad as anything I've seen at this club in all my years following this once great club.

Won the cup, delighted. Thought we'd push on. Nope. It's just papering over the cracks. The lies he's told us, the bs he talks, the football we play.

I'm more surprised you don't hate him but I get the he's Arsenal manager so must be good stance you take. You've done it with players over the years and now with a manager.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Callum » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 pm

Ach wrote:
Callum wrote:

Go have a great loan

One of our worst players ever becomes our manager. Needed to hit the ground running. Failed that. Pre lockdown was as bad as anything I've seen at this club in all my years following this once great club.

Won the cup, delighted. Thought we'd push on. Nope. It's just papering over the cracks. The lies he's told us, the bs he talks, the football we play.

I'm more surprised you don't hate him but I get the he's Arsenal manager so must be good stance you take. You've done it with players over the years and now with a manager.

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Gordon Bennit » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:05 am

Angelito wrote:
That's where people management comes in. That's where things get tricky.

I don't know what really went down apart from what I saw at Brighton. But every individual has to be dealt with differently. There's always a risk of alienating someone else. That's where you have to know whether to be a mentor or a dictator.

It's basic management that's applicable everywhere.

We need to ask ourselves if this is consistent. Xhaka is another troublesome being and the 2018 WC incident alluded to that. His actions as Gunners' captain does too. But he is amongst the first names on the team sheet despite being a mediocre player.

Guendouzi, in contrast, is an upcoming talent. He *could* be bullied. Whether he was or wasn't, that's another thing. But if you can't deal with someone who's barely past his teens, and have to create a narrative of non-negotiables, whilst one of our highest earning players is sitting out for reasons that neither Arteta or Edu, nor Josh Kroenke is willing to divulge, questions have to be asked.

I'm a believer in human potential. Teenagers and post-teenagers could get rowdy. Now, if they chose to take the path of Bendtner or Balotelli, or wish to learn and grow, that has to be gauged. Perhaps Mikel has. I don't know.

I haven't seen a mentor in him yet. A trainer, a technical enforcer, a superb assimilator? Sure. A mentor, not yet.

Too wishy washy in the real world. None of us know what really went down, that's the main thing. His age is completely irrelevant. We've seen it with the England players who seem determined as a unit to force Southgate to tear out his hair on camera. If in the middle of the worst pandemic this generation and those before it have ever seen. if your job. profession, source of income is secure as well as incredibly well renumerated and if there is an expectation of discipline and following certain protocols you're still too thick, pig-headed or for other reasons unable to do that, then do one and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

He's an adult, not a child. Rowdy? Fine. A complete prick? Not fine. I don't know whether he fits either description but the final call has to be with Arteta. We don't know if he tried to mentor him or not. We do know that he was at the club when Wenger managed and possibly made allowances Arteta didn't like. He certainly made allowances for poor performances.

Xhaka is a strange example to choose. Obviously we should have spent £5 million less and secured Kante but that's irrelevant. Mediocre he may be but Arteta (as well as support from team mates no doubt) has managed to turn a player who ripped off his shirt and told the fans to foxtrot oscar into someone who gives his limited all on the pitch and is appreciated by his colleagues. That seems like good man management to me.

As for Ozil, if Arteta told the world why he was 'sitting out' instead of keeping it in the club, would you really consider that good man management? Wow.

Anyway, good luck to Guendouzi. He's still an Arsenal player and if he turns it round, great. If not, oh well.
Good old Arsenal, we're proud to say that name
Gordon Bennit
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Shots fired.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ESR10 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Most german sources (kicker, transfermarkt) saying we got 4m loan fee for him. Doesn't sound too bad in that case.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby NovaGB » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Ach wrote:
Callum wrote:

Go have a great loan

Arteta was not world class, but one of the worst ever? exaggeration i'm guessing when we have had players like John Jensen, Glenn Helder, Kaba Diawara, Andre Santos, Igor Stepanovs etc?
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Jensen was far better. The others were never first teamers.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to World Football