Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby swipe right » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:He’s a France international so the bitters like Jay and Phil can go do one. Marseille have gotten a bargain because their manager is an adult who knows how to handle difficult talent. They will sell him on in two years for 40-50 mil while we are still trying to figure out how to make Xhaka, Partey and Lokonga work.

40-50m ???
JHC
IN two years he might be worth 2 packets of peanuts - that's if he hasn't already pissed off so many people no one wants him.

The only one who doesn’t want him is a manager so insecure that he surrounds himself with yes men. The results are evident.

Don’t see anyone clamouring for Guendouzi now or previously. We couldn’t even sell him… had to be a loan.

As for our results… yes they do speak for themselves. We’re 4th.

Marseille are second.

In the Farmers League.

All I know is that next year Guendozi will be playing in the champions league while you’re reminiscing about those four weeks we had between November and December where we beat teams in the relegation zone.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:48 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:He’s a France international so the bitters like Jay and Phil can go do one. Marseille have gotten a bargain because their manager is an adult who knows how to handle difficult talent. They will sell him on in two years for 40-50 mil while we are still trying to figure out how to make Xhaka, Partey and Lokonga work.

40-50m ???
JHC
IN two years he might be worth 2 packets of peanuts - that's if he hasn't already pissed off so many people no one wants him.

The only one who doesn’t want him is a manager so insecure that he surrounds himself with yes men. The results are evident.

Don’t see anyone clamouring for Guendouzi now or previously. We couldn’t even sell him… had to be a loan.

Marseille are second.

In the Farmers League.

All I know is that next year Guendozi will be playing in the champions league while you’re reminiscing about those four weeks we had between November and December where we beat teams in the relegation zone.

Lots of small teams, and thus average players, play in the CL because they come from shitty leagues.
None of those teams, including Marseille, would ever be in the CL if they had to qualify through the PL.

Guendouzi is leaving, fella.
He's not good enough and no longer here. Not sure why you care about him so much. :dontknow:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:39 pm

TedLasso wrote:transfermrkt has his value around 25m. Considering we absolutely sabotaged our own leverage in the situation, getting 9m is a small consolation.

Never should have been so open about his disciplinary issues or how unwilling Arteta was to using him.

Yup, the incompetence at the club is at record levels.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby StockGooner » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Tough as in recent years we have done better at getting some funds in for players, like Iwobi and Willock so maybe that bit is changing.

But then it is mixed in with Mavropanos, Guedouzi and more younger players like Malen etc.

I don't think we could label the incumbent management team including Arteta and Edu as incompetent and certainly not record levels. It seems unfair when they have bought well in the summer, and managed to clear some players form the club . The exception to that would be the volume of loans we set up and not permanent sales, and Guendouzi who I think Arteta harmed himself and the club by making the fall out reasonably public. I can maybe say managerial naivety and hope he learns form it. I do think £9m for him will be quite a good deal for Marseille, less so for us.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Phil71 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:27 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

40-50m ???
JHC

Marseille are second.

In the Farmers League.

Lots of small teams, and thus average players, play in the CL because they come from shitty leagues.
None of those teams, including Marseille, would ever be in the CL if they had to qualify through the PL.

He's not good enough and no longer here. Not sure why you care about him so much. :dontknow:

Because it's another stick with which to beat Arteta.

As we're in a good league position and on a good run of results he has to find something else to moan about.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby swipe right » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:07 am

Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

40-50m ???
JHC

Marseille are second.

In the Farmers League.

Because it's another stick with which to beat Arteta.

As we're in a good league position and on a good run of results he has to find something else to moan about.

Here’s one more stick. Bend over.

Zenith wrote:
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:39 am

↑ One could argue that it was a great decision by Arteta to send Saliba out on loan in order to ensure he racks up the game time he needs. We're not in Europe and Saliba wasn't quite ready to challenge for a spot in the starting eleven. Having said that, I do maintain it was a mistake from Arteta and company to not send him out on loan at the start of last season.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby swipe right » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:58 am

Zenith wrote:↑ One could argue that it was a great decision by Arteta to send Saliba out on loan in order to ensure he racks up the game time he needs. We're not in Europe and Saliba wasn't quite ready to challenge for a spot in the starting eleven. Having said that, I do maintain it was a mistake from Arteta and company to not send him out on loan at the start of last season.

You could make that point but here’s what’s different. He was on loan at Etienne and we recalled him before their cup final. They were also keen to extend his loan. So if minutes was the reason we could have just done it at Etienne. We spiked 50 mil on White which in hindsight was totally unnecessary since he is no better than Saliba. I know some here think he’s the second coming of Beckenbauer but he hasn’t done anything to warrant that valuation. Decent player, likeable bloke but not a 50 mil signing. We could have used this season to create a strong partnership between Saliba and Gabriel and used the 50 mil on a top CM.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:36 am

swipe right wrote:
Zenith wrote:↑ One could argue that it was a great decision by Arteta to send Saliba out on loan in order to ensure he racks up the game time he needs. We're not in Europe and Saliba wasn't quite ready to challenge for a spot in the starting eleven. Having said that, I do maintain it was a mistake from Arteta and company to not send him out on loan at the start of last season.

You could make that point but here’s what’s different. He was on loan at Etienne and we recalled him before their cup final. They were also keen to extend his loan. So if minutes was the reason we could have just done it at Etienne. We spiked 50 mil on White which in hindsight was totally unnecessary since he is no better than Saliba. I know some here think he’s the second coming of Beckenbauer but he hasn’t done anything to warrant that valuation. Decent player, likeable bloke but not a 50 mil signing. We could have used this season to create a strong partnership between Saliba and Gabriel and used the 50 mil on a top CM.

I think the unit partnership of White and Gabriel and the understanding White and Tomiyasu have built up is outstanding.
I don't think anyone has claimed that White is Bekenbauer. That is just you being overly emotional because on of your 'favourites' Saliba is not good enough yet to be a PL player.

Saliba right now is way way behind both White and Gabriel - but it's not so much of an issue for Saliba as he is years younger.

Seems like a very good decision to loan the kid out.
I remember the same people saying how brilliant Balogun was last year and deserved to be in the first team because he scored a couple of goals against weaker teams in the EL. How much better he was than Nketiah, etc.
Well, we can see pretty clearly now how wrong they were. He wasn't ready then and he's not ready now.

Saliba is a kid who is getting some game time against weaker opposition to develop his skills.
It's good for him, good for Arsenal.

Good decision making on his future all round.

The stick you produced ? Well you are really just beating yourself with it.

I am looking forward to seeing whether he will be ready next year.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:57 am

Phil71 wrote:Because it's another stick with which to beat Arteta.

Oh poor Arteta, all the beatings he must be getting from all those sticks that seem to be laying around :lol:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:59 am

You could make that point but he was already one of the best young players in Europe when we bought him, so racking up more game time in France provides minimal benefit, getting game time in England would be far more relevant
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:00 am

theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Because it's another stick with which to beat Arteta.

Oh poor Arteta, all the beatings he must be getting from all those sticks that seem to be laying around :lol:

The only people really being beaten with sticks week in week out are the Doomers - and it's Arteta wielding the stick.
He has taken every one of them from them and tanned their asses with them.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:01 am

theHotHead wrote:

You could make that point but he was already one of the best young players in Europe when we bought him, so racking up more game time in France provides minimal benefit, getting game time in England would be far more relevant

He wasn't one of the best young players in Europe at all. Good grief.
He was a kid with potential and highly touted. Before we sign him he'd only played 15 games or so in his whole life at first team level and that was in the weakest of the 5 main leagues in Europe.
Stop making things up.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:05 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:

I think the unit partnership of White and Gabriel and the understanding White and Tomiyasu have built up is outstanding.
I don't think anyone has claimed that White is Bekenbauer. That is just you being overly emotional because on of your 'favourites' Saliba is not good enough yet to be a PL player.

Saliba right now is way way behind both White and Gabriel - but it's not so much of an issue for Saliba as he is years younger.

I remember the same people saying how brilliant Balogun was last year and deserved to be in the first team because he scored a couple of goals against weaker teams in the EL. How much better he was than Nketiah, etc.
Well, we can see pretty clearly now how wrong they were. He wasn't ready then and he's not ready now.

Saliba is a kid who is getting some game time against weaker opposition to develop his skills.

Damn right he isn't Beckenbauer. My issue with him remains we paid £50m and are getting £25m defending. He is an ok CB, I expect far more for that kind of dosh
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:08 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:

Damn right he isn't Beckenbauer. My issue with him remains we paid £50m and are getting £25m defending. He is an ok CB, I expect far more for that kind of dosh

I think he's well worth the fee...mainly because I know this is a team game and if it takes £50m to get the exact player needed to be part of the defence we need, so be it. For what he does in the back 5, the specific role he has, there are few better.
As it turns out he's been very solid in the air, not the best, but solid. He's been excellent at intercepting passes and breaking up attacks and top class with the ball at his feet. He's still got more to learn in terms of positioning and he needs to eradicate his tendency to back off instead of engage attackers as well improve some of his decision making. But that will come. He's still young. Frankly, he looks a fabulous addition who will grow with this young team for the next 5 or 6 years.

Part of absolutely stellar transfer window when taken as a whole was a massive bargain. £150m for 6 excellent players.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to World Football