Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (on loan - Hertha BSC)

Postby Phil71 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:40 am

It's very rare for clubs playing at the top level to regularly field 18-20 year olds nowadays.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I would take Tierney, Maitland-Niles and Gabriel out of that list of "kids". I'll give you players up to 21. All 3 of those lot have a lot of experience already, Tierney and Gabriel at other clubs. AMN is a veteran compared to the rest.

If 23 and under is not considered young why is there an under 23 league
12 players that have played first team football under arteta could have played in that league with no overage dispensation. 11 of them still could

Starmandb, its exactly how Angelito and PNG have stated, kids being given their first break. Consider, if we go back to the old days, you played youth team football up to the age of 16, you became an apprentice from 16 to 18 at which point you would sign pro forms and stay in the reserve team (now called the U23s). Once in the reserve team you would get a call up to the first team.

Football has changed, If I remember rightly you had the youth team (15-16 year olds), up until then and possibly including youth team football, you were classed as a "schoolboy". There are far more 16 and 17 year olds going straight into the first team now than there was 20 years ago, but, when I refer to kids I refer to those getting their first run outs in the first team. Typically thats those players from 18-20 and the exceptional players that get their breaks even earlier.

I’m sorry I have read that a few times and I am still struggling to process it
Arsenal are a rarity with regards young players getting a chance
An example is Tottenham
The youngest player in there current squad to get significant minutes in the first team is Davison Sanchez he is 24
However you cut it
Weather it was wenger, Emery ljungberg or arteta
The record of young player’s getting game time at our club is something to be proud of
In real terms I couldn’t give a f**k if they are toddling in a romper suit or using a Zimmer frame for assistance
As long as we are capable of winning football matches
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Phil71 wrote:It's very rare for clubs playing at the top level to regularly field 18-20 year olds nowadays.

You say that but .......:

Liverpool - Rhys Williams, Neco Williams, Cutis Jones
Man City - Eric Garcia, Phil foden, Ferran Torres
Chelsea - Billy Gilmour, Callum Hudson-Odoi
Man Utd - Mason Greenwood
Tottenham - None
Arsenal - Bukayo Saka, Emile Smith-Rowe, Gabriel Martinelli
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:39 pm

starmandb wrote:I’m sorry I have read that a few times and I am still struggling to process it
An example is Tottenham
The youngest player in there current squad to get significant minutes in the first team is Davison Sanchez he is 24
However you cut it
The record of young player’s getting game time at our club is something to be proud of
In real terms I couldn’t give a f**k if they are toddling in a romper suit or using a Zimmer frame for assistance

I would never argue with that and its something we all should be proud of, Arsenal tends to give youth a chance.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:55 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:I’m sorry I have read that a few times and I am still struggling to process it
An example is Tottenham
However you cut it

I would never argue with that and its something we all should be proud of, Arsenal tends to give youth a chance.

Taking either end of those factors out of the equation has dire consequences, something AW took years to learn
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 pm

Arsenal outcast Matteo Guendouzi branded ‘rebellious’ by frustrated Hertha Berlin boss

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... erlin-boss
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:19 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Arsenal outcast Matteo Guendouzi branded ‘rebellious’ by frustrated Hertha Berlin boss

But, but... Arteta
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 pm

Phil71 wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:

But, but... Arteta

If you read the article you’ll see he’s working with him to unlock his potential, something Arteta didn’t even bother with, just like with Saliba, Balogun and now Nelson.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 am

Guendouzi needs a slap for sure, brain dead!

But as Ozim says with a player that age with obvious talent you don't just discard them.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 am

theHotHead wrote:Guendouzi needs a slap for sure, brain dead!

But as Ozim says with a player that age with obvious talent you don't just discard them.

Even if they are undermining your authority and disrupting the squad?

How long would you allow that to go on for?

Should the various managers who had Mario Ballotelli have stuck with him?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 am

He did one thing and suddenly he’s Mario Balotelli? The Hertha boss doesn’t think he’s a lost cause and isn’t giving up at the 1st hurdle, so why does Arteta (not just with him either)?

They don’t even own the player so they could easily just send him back or sideline him.

He’s a young player, they make mistakes, what he did at Arsenal wasn’t even that bad, it was iladvised and petulant but you have a quiet word with them and then move on, cutting them out isn’t the answer, no one learns from being treated this way, that is poor management and very old school.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:17 am

It's obviously more than one thing.

He was shipped out of Arsenal for disciplinary issues and now the manager of his loan club has again highlighted the fact that he has disciplinary issues.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:20 am

Was it though? From what we saw it was the incident against Brighton, but despite that with young players you need to guide them and have a quiet word with them when they do something wrong, having a go at them and writing them off achieves nothing.

Clearly he needs some guidance, the manager at Berlin seems to understand that.

Arteta seems very heavy handed, that doesn’t lead to happy employees/players.

You’ve already seen several players unhappy with him and the squad supporting one of those (Ozil) suggesting they weren’t entirely happy with how he was treated.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:15 am

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Guendouzi needs a slap for sure, brain dead!

Even if they are undermining your authority and disrupting the squad?

How long would you allow that to go on for?

Should the various managers who had Mario Ballotelli have stuck with him?

Good question. He should certainly have a length of rope to hang himself, if he hangs himself then he only has himself to blame. We don't know how long that length of rope is, but judging by his treatments of others it looks to me like it was very short. What did he do ? I don't think he did anything that has been made public that warranted being shifted out of the club, I was fine with him being demoted to train with the U23s.

If there wasn't a line of folks that Arteta hasn't given short-shrift to I might be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 am

Phil71 wrote:It's obviously more than one thing.

He was shipped out of Arsenal for disciplinary issues and now the manager of his loan club has again highlighted the fact that he has disciplinary issues.

Yes but he has also said he will work with him, clearly he feels its worth the effort. So I am not disagreeing with you totally, I am saying he is worth the effort to try to fix the problems, I don't think Arteta has tried much, just dropped him from the squad then shipped him out. I don't know the details, it may well be that Guendouzi has been a d***head the entire time so Arteta got rid.

Regarding Balotelli, his issues were related to his social life, he wasn't an issue on the pitch, I don't remember disciplinary issues being his problem, it was more "the circus" that followed him wherever he went.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football