Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby swipe right » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:09 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Because it's another stick with which to beat Arteta.

As we're in a good league position and on a good run of results he has to find something else to moan about.

Oh poor Arteta, all the beatings he must be getting from all those sticks that seem to be laying around :lol:

The only people really being beaten with sticks week in week out are the Doomers - and it's Arteta wielding the stick.
He has taken every one of them from them and tanned their asses with them.

Yes because beating Leeds and sunderland with a 500 mil squad is an accomplishment. Sure.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:10 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Zenith wrote:↑ One could argue that it was a great decision by Arteta to send Saliba out on loan in order to ensure he racks up the game time he needs. We're not in Europe and Saliba wasn't quite ready to challenge for a spot in the starting eleven. Having said that, I do maintain it was a mistake from Arteta and company to not send him out on loan at the start of last season.

You could make that point but here’s what’s different. He was on loan at Etienne and we recalled him before their cup final. They were also keen to extend his loan. So if minutes was the reason we could have just done it at Etienne. We spiked 50 mil on White which in hindsight was totally unnecessary since he is no better than Saliba. I know some here think he’s the second coming of Beckenbauer but he hasn’t done anything to warrant that valuation. Decent player, likeable bloke but not a 50 mil signing. We could have used this season to create a strong partnership between Saliba and Gabriel and used the 50 mil on a top CM.

I think the unit partnership of White and Gabriel and the understanding White and Tomiyasu have built up is outstanding.
I don't think anyone has claimed that White is Bekenbauer. That is just you being overly emotional because on of your 'favourites' Saliba is not good enough yet to be a PL player.

Saliba right now is way way behind both White and Gabriel - but it's not so much of an issue for Saliba as he is years younger.

Seems like a very good decision to loan the kid out.
I remember the same people saying how brilliant Balogun was last year and deserved to be in the first team because he scored a couple of goals against weaker teams in the EL. How much better he was than Nketiah, etc.
Well, we can see pretty clearly now how wrong they were. He wasn't ready then and he's not ready now.

Saliba is a kid who is getting some game time against weaker opposition to develop his skills.
It's good for him, good for Arsenal.

Good decision making on his future all round.

The stick you produced ? Well you are really just beating yourself with it.

I am looking forward to seeing whether he will be ready next year.

Damn right he isn't Beckenbauer. My issue with him remains we paid £50m and are getting £25m defending. He is an ok CB, I expect far more for that kind of dosh

He isn’t even koscielny or vermalean level.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:10 am

Only in your deluded world Jay. Jere is a classic example, everyone was worried that Martinelli would leave due to lack of game time. Arteta hits rock bottom with our attack, decides to go for one hail mary attack, includes Martinelli and Martinelli does what he does, play good football and score goals.

Then the likes of you come along and proclaim Arteta the don of dons because he handled Martinelli right :rofll:

Bollox, like I said, we all thought he would leave
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:13 am

theHotHead wrote:Only in your deluded world Jay. Jere is a classic example, everyone was worried that Martinelli would leave due to lack of game time. Arteta hits rock bottom with our attack, decides to go for one hail mary attack, includes Martinelli and Martinelli does what he does, play good football and score goals.

Then the likes of you come along and proclaim Arteta the don of dons because he handled Martinelli right :rofll:

Bingo. It was the same with ESR. He had no intention to play ESR but his hand was forced and ESR grabbed the opportunity. So all of a sudden it’s Arteta developing kids narrative.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:16 am

theHotHead wrote:Only in your deluded world Jay. Jere is a classic example, everyone was worried that Martinelli would leave due to lack of game time. Arteta hits rock bottom with our attack, decides to go for one hail mary attack, includes Martinelli and Martinelli does what he does, play good football and score goals.

...or Arteta's timing was perfect and given he knows infinitely more than us about the player and football it's more sensible to assume that he did the right thing, given the outcome. If Martinelli HAD got upset and left, then we could have criticised Arteta fairly, but he didn't. His attitude seems perfect, so we were all worried about nothing, mainly driven by our lack of knowledge on the situation. Just football emotions leading us to fear he would leave.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:38 pm

He has handled him right. Perfectly right.

If you and others want to twist it to suit your anti-Arteta agenda that's up to you. But don't expect not to be pulled up on it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Santi » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:53 pm

So many online managers it's incredible. Just because you don't trust everything the guy does or even like him, doesn't mean he isn't 100000000000000000000000000000000% more qualified than all of us to do the job and make judgements on players.

In fact that applies for any shitty league 2 manager as well. Have your opinion but Arteta is the guy paid to make decisions, so far he seems to be getting more right than wrong. I don't agree with some of what he does either and that was the same for Wenger/Emery but if they get it right more often than not then I'll go with it.

So far they've made us all look like mugs about Ramsdale and Tomiyasu for sure. I'd even argue White has been a lot better than many expected, just his price is used against him.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 pm

Santi wrote:So many online managers it's incredible. Just because you don't trust everything the guy does or even like him, doesn't mean he isn't 100000000000000000000000000000000% more qualified than all of us to do the job and make judgements on players.

In fact that applies for any shitty league 2 manager as well. Have your opinion but Arteta is the guy paid to make decisions, so far he seems to be getting more right than wrong. I don't agree with some of what he does either and that was the same for Wenger/Emery but if they get it right more often than not then I'll go with it.

So far they've made us all look like mugs about Ramsdale and Tomiyasu for sure. I'd even argue White has been a lot better than many expected, just his price is used against him.

No, no, no. no. no...

You just have missed the memo.

He was FORCED into buying Tomiyasu because Bellerin decided to leave, and was just lucky.

For more laughable bullshit please read the various threads on the forum.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:03 pm

Santi wrote:So many online managers it's incredible. Just because you don't trust everything the guy does or even like him, doesn't mean he isn't 100000000000000000000000000000000% more qualified than all of us to do the job and make judgements on players.

White hasn’t been better than expected, I think he’s an ok defender with some glaring holes in his game, we massively overpaid and could have got better for our money, he’s nothing special IMO.

Tomiyasu and Ramsdale I’ll give you though. Arteta has done ok recently but this after 2 years of rubbish to be honest, despite being 4th currently there’s 2 teams that could go above us if they win their games in hand, so until they have played the same number of matches we’re only 4th due to postponements.

Still not convinced about him, we’ve lost 6 this season and have only been decent in a handful of matches, there’s a along way to go.

We don’t really know how much Arteta knows, he came in with no experience, yes he was employed to do so but he wasn’t really qualified so it seems to me it was just a punt.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:15 pm

Better punt on a guy who's actually played and worked in football than some clowns on a forum lol
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:20 pm

Not sure what playing football has to do with anything, plenty of players are top class (something Arteta wasn’t) and aren’t good managers.

You don’t need to be involved in football at a professional level to be very knowledgeable, there’s plenty of people who know football inside out. As for being involved, hasn’t made a difference to City since he left, in fact they seem to have improved.

He had no credentials at all.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:52 pm

Punt? He has a professional coaching certificate and was assistant to the best football manager in the world , arguably!
Besides, people like Wright, Keown, Dixon, Neville, etc, approve of his work, and believes the occasional inconsistencies in results we see is only normal during development and transition...as we had seen in the case Van Gaal, Moyes, Mourinho, Rodgers even early part of Klopp.
I believe all of the above knows a little bit more than ALL of You combined.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:01 pm

It was a punt, he'd never managed before and was totally unproven, thus we had zero evidence he would be a decent manager.

Pundits just support a young manager, that's what they always do, he's been very lucky because on the whole he's been poor and it's not occasional inconsistencies.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:17 pm

He wasn't just a punt because he was interviewed before even Unai was appointed. So Arsenal was scounting him along with a number of candidates for a while, when Wenger announced his retirement.
Like in most professions, reputation travels and he probably had top references too.
Nothing happens in vacuum.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:22 pm

Salibatelli wrote:

White hasn’t been better than expected, I think he’s an ok defender with some glaring holes in his game, we massively overpaid and could have got better for our money, he’s nothing special IMO.

Tomiyasu and Ramsdale I’ll give you though. Arteta has done ok recently but this after 2 years of rubbish to be honest, despite being 4th currently there’s 2 teams that could go above us if they win their games in hand, so until they have played the same number of matches we’re only 4th due to postponements.

Still not convinced about him, we’ve lost 6 this season and have only been decent in a handful of matches, there’s a along way to go.

We don’t really know how much Arteta knows, he came in with no experience, yes he was employed to do so but he wasn’t really qualified so it seems to me it was just a punt.

White, Tomiyasu, Ramsdale , Lokonga, Tavares and Odegaard have all been much better than you and many others expected (and let's face it, you desperately hoped they'd be awful Ozim)
They've all been good.
That is why Arteta is paid to manage our club and has us in 4th place and a semi final, whilst you keep getting in wrong on a football forum.
Merry Christmas.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to World Football